Go Back   DetroitSportsForum > Off topic > Diggler's Junk
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2017, 01:30 PM   #11
tinselwolverine   tinselwolverine is online now
Moderator
 
tinselwolverine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 19,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by michchamp View Post

fire department letting your house burn because your neighbor paid higher insurance premiums...
It's a good thing fire trucks in Cali head out to fires with dossiers on every individual homeowners' insurance policy. How the fuck else would they know whose home to save, and what poor schmuck's home they should just let burn to the ground...?
__________________
Go Blue!



Login or Register to Remove Ads
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:42 PM   #12
tinselwolverine   tinselwolverine is online now
Moderator
 
tinselwolverine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 19,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdalton22 View Post
So...according to this article...those who can and want to pay a substantial amount of additional money can do so for an amount more comfort and convenience.

Seems unfair to me.

What will they think of next? How about, for a substantial amount more money, a person can sit in the front of the airplane, board before everyone who doesn't pay the additional money, and sit in a larger and more cushioned and comfortable seat, maybe have a gourmet type meal and get served cocktails? How much would that suck for everybody else?

Or what about this - instead of taking a bus or a train to and from the airport, for a whole lot more money, a person can be driven by a chauffeur to and from the airport in a stretch limousine? But what about the plight of those fuckers who are instead crammed like sardines on a bus or a train just because they didn't pay the extra money? Who's worried about those poor bastards?

Or what about this - instead of fucking with commercial travel at all, for a gigantic amount of additional money, a person can just be flown around by their own private pilot in their own private jet?
__________________
Go Blue!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:44 PM   #13
tomdalton22   tomdalton22 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 14,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinselwolverine View Post
So...according to this article...those who can and want to pay a substantial amount of additional money can do so for an amount more comfort and convenience.

Seems unfair to me.

What will they think of next? How about, for a substantial amount more money, a person can sit in the front of the airplane, board before everyone who doesn't pay the additional money, and sit in a larger and more cushioned and comfortable seat, maybe have a gourmet type meal and get served cocktails? How much would that suck for everybody else?

Or what about this - instead of taking a bus or a train to and from the airport, for a whole lot more money, a person can be driven by a chauffeur to and from the airport in a stretch limousine? But what about the plight of those fuckers who are instead crammed like sardines on a bus or a train just because they didn't pay the extra money? Who's worried about those poor bastards?

Or what about this - instead of fucking with commercial travel at all, for a gigantic amount of additional money, a person can just be flown around by their own private pilot in their own private jet?
exactly!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:50 PM   #14
tinselwolverine   tinselwolverine is online now
Moderator
 
tinselwolverine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 19,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdalton22 View Post
exactly!
One conclusion we can come to - everybody in the terminal waiting to board their flight, no matter what a hassle getting their might have been, or what a pain in the ass getting through security might have been, or regardless how uncomfortable their flight is going to be based on the class of their ticket - everybody there at least had enough money, or had other resources, to purchase their ticket.

Nobody in an airport terminal is down to their last biscuit.
__________________
Go Blue!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:58 PM   #15
turok   turok is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 7,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdalton22 View Post

Yeah...thats the one, I see that its now in operation.
__________________

  Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:19 PM   #16
tinselwolverine   tinselwolverine is online now
Moderator
 
tinselwolverine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 19,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by michchamp View Post

fire department letting your house burn because your neighbor paid higher insurance premiums...

getting sick and dying because you can't afford treatment. or getting sick and committing suicide to avoid bankrupting your family
Health care for the poor is and has been pretty accessible in the United States; how many people actually die from lack of treatment is pretty hard to gauge, as this from PolitiFact, hardly a darling of the far right, (ostensibly criticizing Raul Labrador's dumbass claim that NOBODY dies in the U.S. from lack of access to health care), points out.

Most studies I see seem to be biased in one direction or other, done based on the organization doing the study's agenda.

My estimation is that the number of people who die because they don't have access to/can't afford private insurance is somewhere between 0, which the conservatives would claim, and all of them, falling over dead right in the middle of the street, which is what the liberals would like everybody to believe.
__________________
Go Blue!

Last edited by tinselwolverine; 12-11-2017 at 02:28 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:42 PM   #17
turok   turok is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 7,921
What made the US "great" was the post WWIi boom which gave people the oportunity to become middle-class, with all its perks. Since the 70s, wages have stagnated, while the cost of living continued to rise. So wives entered the workforce, or continued working, so the lifestyle could still be achieved or maintained. But the consumer golden-goose isn't laying as many "discretionary" eggs, since necessities like food, utilities, rent, mortgages, insurance, clothing, communications, and transportation take up so much of their monthly budgets.


Getting a temporary tax-cut doesn't compare to getting permanent raises in pay. The tax-cuts are a clever "in lieu" means of business avoiding doing so with theirs.
__________________

  Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:50 PM   #18
tomdalton22   tomdalton22 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 14,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by turok View Post
What made the US "great" was the post WWIi boom which gave people the oportunity to become middle-class, with all its perks. Since the 70s, wages have stagnated, while the cost of living continued to rise. So wives entered the workforce, or continued working, so the lifestyle could still be achieved or maintained. But the consumer golden-goose isn't laying as many "discretionary" eggs, since necessities like food, utilities, rent, mortgages, insurance, clothing, communications, and transportation take up so much of their monthly budgets.


Getting a temporary tax-cut doesn't compare to getting permanent raises in pay. The tax-cuts are a clever "in lieu" means of business avoiding doing so with theirs.
the good old days...when men worked in factories and women stayed in the kitchen where they belong.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 03:03 PM   #19
tinselwolverine   tinselwolverine is online now
Moderator
 
tinselwolverine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 19,754
Anyway, getting back to the OP, and continuing to interject politics into the discussion because, you know, what could possibly be more biased and partisan and discriminating than the way a fire burns, right? - I'm right here at ground zero or just about, the Creek fire is about 10 miles north and the Skirball fire is about ten miles south, as the crows fly - as far right wing and Republitard as California is, I haven't heard a whole lot of reports that the combined fire and rescue services are conspiring to save the homes of only the rich, and just letting poor peoples' homes just burn to the ground, because, ya know - fuck 'em, they're poor - right?

Jesus Tap Dancing Christ...
__________________
Go Blue!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 03:14 PM   #20
turok   turok is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 7,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinselwolverine View Post
Health care for the poor is and has been pretty accessible in the United States; how many people actually die from lack of treatment is pretty hard to gauge, as this from PolitiFact, hardly a darling of the far right, (ostensibly criticizing Raul Labrador's dumbass claim that NOBODY dies in the U.S. from lack of access to health care), points out.

Most studies I see seem to be biased in one direction or other, done based on the organization doing the study's agenda.

My estimation is that the number of people who die because they don't have access to/can't afford private insurance is somewhere between 0, which the conservatives would claim, and all of them, falling over dead right in the middle of the street, which is what the liberals would like everybody to believe.

Going to the ER, sans inurance, credit, or funds isn't the answer. Patients who must resort to that are being triaged, and unless he or she is in imminent danger of death from illness or injury, are treated and stabilized, then are released with 24 hours worth of meds, and instructions/eval to see his or her "primary care provider" with ASAP.

This often causes conditions to gradually worsen, since the afflicted cannot afford/does not have any, so they eventually could be @ death's door in an ER. b/c of inability to pay the outrageous unpaid costs get passed on to everyone else.
__________________

  Reply With Quote
Reply
Top      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.