Go Back   DetroitSportsForum > Sports > Detroit Tigers

Old 10-19-2017, 05:19 PM   #1

Ron Gardenhire next Tigers Manager

Pending completion of the contract.

https://theathletic.com/132558/2017/...n-of-contract/
FIND A DAMN RUNNING BACK!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-19-2017, 05:24 PM   #2

To safe of a pick for my taste. No outside the box thinking from the a Tigers here. Not unsurprising coming from the Tigers and Avila. He wanted experience.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:30 PM   #3

I don't mind him. There's no guarantee. You go with a first time manager and you might get Ausmus 2.0.

What are we at the park for except to win? I'd trip my mother. I'd help her up, brush her off, tell her I'm sorry. But mother don't make it to third -- Leo Durocher

The NFL can kiss my ass!!
Old 10-19-2017, 05:48 PM   #4

As long as he cleans house I'm ok with it for now.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:52 PM   #5

I wish he would have been hired over Brad that is for sure .
Old 10-19-2017, 06:00 PM   #6

I don't like it. Gardenhire is old school, who doesn't offer anything new.

Multiple sources told The Athletic’s Katie Strang that Tigers general manager Al Avila entered the process leaning heavily toward a candidate with previous MLB managerial experience. Gardenhire was seen as a seasoned, battle-tested option in this regard.

By that explanation, consideration must have been given to Lamont and McClendon as well.

Last edited by Rebbiv; 10-19-2017 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:02 PM   #7

4 years too late.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:08 PM   #8

This signing doesn't surprise me with the Tigers backwards/sideways thinking front office.
All we have heard is they are going heavy into sabermetrics and analytics, yet they hire an old and old school manager with Gardenhire.
If they really wanted to move forward and into the 21st century, they would have gone after one of the forward thinking managers to be who use everything available in that type of data, and whether or not that prospective guy had any managerial experience majors or minors. Experience or not the next few years the Tigers are not going to contend, and could have had a saber guy to use all they had and/or offer suggestions to the Tigers analytical team.

Just speculating here, but wouldnot be surprised if Leyland had anything to do with this, you know giving his approval of him.
Avila going to everyone asking their approval of his choice, because he is in over his head, and Chris Ilitch told him to get a safe choice and yes man to front office.

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/sto...ytics-rankings
THE GREAT ANALYTICS RANKINGS
ESPN The Magazine and ESPN.com unleashed our experts and an army of researchers to rate 122 teams on the strength of each franchise's analytics staff, its buy-in from execs and coaches, its investment in biometric data and how much its approach is predicated on analytics. After looking at the stats, reaching out to every team and dozens of informed sources and evaluating each front office, we ranked an overall top 10 and bottom 10 and placed each team in one of five tiers by sport.
"Kaline in my book is the greatest righthanded hitter in the league". Ted Williams.

Last edited by kalinecountry; 10-19-2017 at 08:42 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:11 PM   #9

At least he doesn't have prior ties to Avila.....right?
Old 10-19-2017, 06:25 PM   #10

meh...but w/e...this franchise is many years away from being solid from top to bottom, if it even can/will ever get there. I have no expectations for the rest of this decade @ the very least, and probably not until ~the 20th reunion of the '06 team.

Last edited by turok; 10-19-2017 at 07:08 PM.