Go Back   DetroitSportsForum > Off topic > Diggler's Junk

Old 10-31-2017, 04:42 PM   #1

Russian false flag facebook operation

http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/31/medi...nce/index.html

Maybe we don't have quite as many lowlife dirtbags as we thought. Just too many people willing to follow lowlife dirtbags. Russians created accounts advocating violence from both sides .

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-31-2017, 05:02 PM   #2

these stories keep getting debunked, dude. i'm sure this one will too.

if it's that easy to skew elections, both Republicans and Democrats would be throwing money at Russian hackers to run their campaigns.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by michchamp View Post
these stories keep getting debunked, dude. i'm sure this one will too.

if it's that easy to skew elections, both Republicans and Democrats would be throwing money at Russian hackers to run their campaigns.
What stories have been debunked? Are you being sarcastic? Just yesterday they were reporting that Russian ads reached 126 million American through Facebook.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulo Blue View Post
What stories have been debunked? Are you being sarcastic? Just yesterday they were reporting that Russian ads reached 126 million American through Facebook.
one link for u.

also, a little while ago, facebook was accused of widely inflating its numbers and ad reach in the documentation it uses to market digital ad sales to advertisers. (link for u) Almost immediately they started screaming about Russian influence on their platform to distract from this damning report.

don't trust anything facebook says.

also: don't use facebook. I don't.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:19 PM   #5

Example # 99404673, of why I have never registered for a Facebook account. I value my privacy, and have never really needed it as a career collaboration, advancement, or networking tool.

Old 10-31-2017, 06:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by turok View Post
Example # 99404673, of why I have never registered for a Facebook account. I value my privacy, and have never really needed it as a career collaboration, advancement, or networking tool.
+1 me neither no faceberg for me!
Old 11-01-2017, 12:16 PM   #7

Quote:
one link for u.

also, a little while ago, facebook was accused of widely inflating its numbers and ad reach in the documentation it uses to market digital ad sales to advertisers. (link for u) Almost immediately they started screaming about Russian influence on their platform to distract from this damning report.

don't trust anything facebook says.

also: don't use facebook. I don't.
Maybe Taibbi is working for the Russians. Seriously, not his best work.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:18 PM   #8

I have a facebook account. I don't talk about stuff there as I do here of course. It's good for keeping track of who has kids and what their names are and all the home town news.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulo Blue View Post
I have a facebook account. I don't talk about stuff there as I do here of course. It's good for keeping track of who has kids and what their names are and all the home town news.
you could just email them. my cousin sends an annual update to family and invites responses from people as to what kind of stupid shit they've been up to. that kind of thing generally works okay, except to the extent you have crazy and/or far right relatives, because then they start spamming you with cat pics or insane & racist forwards. a few years ago, my cousin at least limited the reach of the latter by putting everyone on BCC so they couldn't respond to all.

for news check your home town newspaper's website.

most home towns are incredibly boring though. I know mine is.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:42 PM   #10

Quote:
you could just email them. my cousin sends an annual update to family and invites responses from people as to what kind of stupid shit they've been up to. that kind of thing generally works okay, except to the extent you have crazy and/or far right relatives, because then they start spamming you with cat pics or insane & racist forwards. a few years ago, my cousin at least limited the reach of the latter by putting everyone on BCC so they couldn't respond to all.

for news check your home town newspaper's website.

most home towns are incredibly boring though. I know mine is.
Facebook is way better than these ideas. Tons of people use facebook poorly, or they just want to argue politics or cry out for attention, but facebook has added a "see fewer posts from this person" feature that has made it much better. There are lots of people in my past that do something once every five to ten years that I want to hear about or say congrats or whatever.

And I need to highlight the value of facebook when it comes to seeing someone I haven't seen for years and being about to figure out what their kids' names are or their spouse's or whatever.

I know too many people feel crappy about their lives when they compare them to the positive spin a lot of people put on facebook, but it's good for me. The funny/sad thing is that most of the people I know that refrain from using facebook are the ones that could actually make good use of it. It's the people that couldn't imagine not using it that it's really bad for.

Other than the whole big data side of it.