Go Back   DetroitSportsForum > Sports > Detroit Tigers

Old 12-12-2017, 10:03 PM   #21

Al Avila on trading Ian Kinsler: “We’ve gotten to the point where names have been exchanged.”
http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2017/12/12/...een-exchanged/

What are we at the park for except to win? I'd trip my mother. I'd help her up, brush her off, tell her I'm sorry. But mother don't make it to third -- Leo Durocher

The NFL can kiss my ass!!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by Mitchrapp; 12-12-2017 at 10:06 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:14 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchrapp View Post
Al Avila on trading Ian Kinsler: “We’ve gotten to the point where names have been exchanged.”
http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2017/12/12/...een-exchanged/
I get annoyed every time I see Al Avila's name. He is ruining this franchise. I understand we are selling every big contract except Miggy. But why can't this guy ever come out on top of a trade.

Last edited by thehippo73; 12-13-2017 at 07:14 AM.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:32 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehippo73 View Post
I get annoyed every time I see Al Avila's name. He is ruining this franchise. I understand we are selling every big contract except Miggy. But why can't this guy ever come out on top of a trade.
it's hard to determine if you "come out on top" when you are trading away established players for prospects. The goals of these trades are to shed payroll and to re-stock the farm system the best they can.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:59 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdalton22 View Post
it's hard to determine if you "come out on top" when you are trading away established players for prospects. The goals of these trades are to shed payroll and to re-stock the farm system the best they can.
I understand it is early but I'm looking at the Maybin trade as an example. We have had a year and I can guarantee that Alcantara won't ever be a viable major leaguer. I know we won't "win" every trade but I would like to see the potential to "win" a majority of these trades. Right now The only trade I believe we have a chance to come out on top is the Avila/Wilson trade.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:05 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehippo73 View Post
I understand it is early but I'm looking at the Maybin trade as an example. We have had a year and I can guarantee that Alcantara won't ever be a viable major leaguer. I know we won't "win" every trade but I would like to see the potential to "win" a majority of these trades. Right now The only trade I believe we have a chance to come out on top is the Avila/Wilson trade.
The Tigers weren't going to exercise his $9M player option last off season, so any warm body they got for him was acceptable. fwiw..Maybin sucked last year and the team the Tigers traded him to waived him.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:13 AM   #26

Quote:
The Tigers weren't going to exercise his $9M player option last off season, so any warm body they got for him was acceptable. fwiw..Maybin sucked last year and the team the Tigers traded him to waived him.

Hindsight is always 20-20.

I realize Maybin was overhyped and his was hardly worth a $1 Mil contract, let alone $9 Mil. But he was coming off a career year. Avila was touting Alcantara at the time of the trade. Alcantara was/is garbage. This still shows how terrible this franchise is in evaluating talent.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:24 AM   #27

That was the perfect time to trade Maybin.. I would have taken a dog biscuit for him. Ironically, that might have been what we got. Since the trade he hasn't been anything note worthy. If we kept him we'd all be bitching about it.

What are we at the park for except to win? I'd trip my mother. I'd help her up, brush her off, tell her I'm sorry. But mother don't make it to third -- Leo Durocher

The NFL can kiss my ass!!

Last edited by Mitchrapp; 12-13-2017 at 10:25 AM.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:39 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbiv View Post
Hindsight is always 20-20.

I realize Maybin was overhyped and his was hardly worth a $1 Mil contract, let alone $9 Mil. But he was coming off a career year. Avila was touting Alcantara at the time of the trade. Alcantara was/is garbage. This still shows how terrible this franchise is in evaluating talent.
of course...but that garbage might be the only offer they got.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:52 AM   #29

Quote:
of course...but that garbage might be the only offer they got.

And that excuse can be used over and over. And that is exactly what that is.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:49 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbiv View Post
And that excuse can be used over and over. And that is exactly what that is.
but it's the truth. I don't think AA or the organization identifies talent very well but as far as what is being offered we as fans never know.