Go Back   DetroitSportsForum > Off topic > Media > Movies

Old 12-18-2017, 11:19 AM   #1

Thread for adults who don't watch Star Wars or comic book movies

Starting a new thread for those of like mind, so my posts aren't deleted and I am not labeled a "shitposter." Anybody else with me on this? We need to stay strong, brothers.

Last time I saw a Star Wars movie was the first prequel, and only because my mom insisted on taking my brother and I to see it, and made a big fucking deal about how we were too young to see the first 3 movies in theatres.

I haven't seen a movie based on a comic book character since one of the 90's era Batman movies. I think the one with the Penguin.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-18-2017, 11:50 AM   #2

I saw the most recent Star Wars sitting next to my (then 9yr old) and it was pretty awesome ...haven't seen the new one yet but did ride up the elevator on Friday with three adults who were all comparing when they had reserved tickets to see it over the weekend.

Love the original three from childhood - Star Wars, Empire and Jedi Strikes Back.

When I went to see the first "prequal" with Jar Jar Binks, I fell asleep in the theater and skipped the next two "prequals" altogether, having seen them now on cable, etc. due to having a little fella in the house.

Don't see Super Hero movies at all. Once the Batman series with Michael Keaton got played, I was done.

I am the one and only turbo powered engine.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:22 PM   #3

I've seen them all and will watch the most recent one but will wait until it comes out on video. I agree that the first 3 from the 1980's were the best but a few of the more recent ones weren't too bad.

I don't care too much for "comic book" movies but I do like the TV series Gotham.
Old 12-18-2017, 02:28 PM   #4

my oldest son keeps saying he loves Star Wars.

fortunately there are like 80 different licensed "official" Star Wars cartoons or series on netflix now, so I can just pop one of those on and leave him alone.

George Lucas must have decided he needs unlimited money.

I was relieved when activists in Chicago DEMOLISHED his plan for a "Lucas Museum" on the waterfront. what a stupid idea. glad there are still some adults in the room. although not in the room. I think they had to file a lawsuit to derail the boondoggle.

For the record: the movies are perfectly fine, as far as mindless entertainment goes. the problem is all the dorks who take them further than that.
Old 12-18-2017, 02:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by michchamp View Post
For the record: the movies are perfectly fine, as far as mindless entertainment goes. the problem is all the dorks who take them further than that.
No kidding!

Now let me get back to worrying about which high schoolers might want to play football at the same school I went to many years ago.
Old 12-18-2017, 02:58 PM   #6

The Star Trek nerd-chise appears to be getting its ass kicked lately by Star Wars, and the Avengers and Justice League.

So in an effort to get back on its feet in the nerd-verse, I hear that Star Trek is going to introduce white walker zombies and dire wolf husky/wolf dogs into future cinematic installments.

Oh, and dragons too - don't forget the dragons.

And hot naked chicks with majestic tits, like the chick with the dragons.
Old 12-18-2017, 04:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinselwolverine View Post
The Star Trek nerd-chise appears to be getting its ass kicked lately by Star Wars, and the Avengers and Justice League.

So in an effort to get back on its feet in the nerd-verse, I hear that Star Trek is going to introduce white walker zombies and dire wolf husky/wolf dogs into future cinematic installments.

Oh, and dragons too - don't forget the dragons.

And hot naked chicks with majestic tits, like the chick with the dragons.
You can slap a Star Wars wrapper on a typical sci-fi action flick and it will be a great success. Star Trek is more difficult because it is supposed to be something else and CBS doesn't believe there's a market for anything that optimistic and cheesy. Allegedly, Seth McFarane wanted to make a Star Trek show that was more like The Next Generation, and that's what CBS told him. So he took his idea to FOX and called it The Orville and even big fans seem to agree that it's very much like Star Trek, but CBS is right, nerds won't let Star Trek be Star Trek anymore.
Old 12-18-2017, 04:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulo Blue View Post
You can slap a Star Wars wrapper on a typical sci-fi action flick and it will be a great success. Star Trek is more difficult because it is supposed to be something else and CBS doesn't believe there's a market for anything that optimistic and cheesy. Allegedly, Seth McFarane wanted to make a Star Trek show that was more like The Next Generation, and that's what CBS told him. So he took his idea to FOX and called it The Orville and even big fans seem to agree that it's very much like Star Trek, but CBS is right, nerds won't let Star Trek be Star Trek anymore.
Well, nerd purists like Leonard and Sheldon and Kuthrapali and Wolowitz will...

Maybe Chuck Lorre should take over running the Star Wars franchise.

The last guy with any balls in Hollywood.
Old 12-18-2017, 04:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinselwolverine View Post
Well, nerd purists like Leonard and Sheldon and Kuthrapali and Wolowitz will...

Maybe Chuck Lorre should take over running the Star Wars franchise.

The last guy with any balls in Hollywood.
you're really mentioning Chuck Lorre a lot here lately.

is he paying you? (you'd need to disclose that, BTW).

does he realize there are like only a couple dozen dudes who post here, and none of us have much - if any -influence on public perception. I think the comparison we once had between this site and a moose lodge it pretty apt.
Old 12-18-2017, 04:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulo Blue View Post
No kidding!

Now let me get back to worrying about which high schoolers might want to play football at the same school I went to many years ago.
the recruiting junkies are equally sad, in my opinion.