Go Back   DetroitSportsForum > Off topic > Media > Movies

Old 12-18-2017, 04:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by michchamp View Post
you're really mentioning Chuck Lorre a lot here lately.

is he paying you? (you'd need to disclose that, BTW).

does he realize there are like only a couple dozen dudes who post here, and none of us have much - if any -influence on public perception. I think the comparison we once had between this site and a moose lodge it pretty apt.
No, he doesn't need to pay me; he's pretty well known as it is.

I'm a fan of his shows, have been for years. I guess I just happen to be mentioning it now more than I have before for whatever reason.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-18-2017, 05:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinselwolverine View Post
Well, nerd purists like Leonard and Sheldon and Kuthrapali and Wolowitz will...

Maybe Chuck Lorre should take over running the Star Wars franchise.

The last guy with any balls in Hollywood.
Ah yes, 'The Big Bang Theory'. Or what I like to call 'Black Face for Nerds'.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:32 PM   #13

Why is his book $400?
Old 12-19-2017, 12:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulo Blue View Post
Why is his book $400?
It's a limited publication for Hollywood million-ayuhs and billeeon-ayuhs to purchase for coffee table décor.

A person can actually read these bits of whit and witticism at the end of a number of his television shows. I haven't ever seen any of them at the end of Big Bang Theory which you've posted is a show you watch; mostly they're at the end of Two and a Half Men - Anyone can DVR the show, and read Chuck Lorre's little quips by hitting the 'pause' button - they're shown for one second.

But if you're a gargantually successful disgustingly wealthy Hollywood liberal elite, you can display the book at your home, as a way of saying to your visitors "not only am I gargantually successful and disgustingly wealthy, but I actually care about shit, and I care about the state of the world and the state of humanity too, and that shit, just like Chuck Lorre..."
Old 12-19-2017, 10:31 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulo Blue View Post
You can slap a Star Wars wrapper on a typical sci-fi action flick and it will be a great success. Star Trek is more difficult because it is supposed to be something else and CBS doesn't believe there's a market for anything that optimistic and cheesy. Allegedly, Seth McFarane wanted to make a Star Trek show that was more like The Next Generation, and that's what CBS told him. So he took his idea to FOX and called it The Orville and even big fans seem to agree that it's very much like Star Trek, but CBS is right, nerds won't let Star Trek be Star Trek anymore.
I always thought of Star Trek as sci-fi for adults; Star Wars was kiddie faire. The plots of a typical Star Trek episode were a lot higher-minded and philosophical or offered political commentary that you wouldn't find in Star Wars. not much nuance to "Darth Vader" as a force of evil and Luke Skywalker as good. shit. GI Joe cartoons from the 80's had more depth than that.

Star Trek's whole "no need for money or possessions" thing probably made NBC execs and US government censors squirm. maybe that's why it was cancelled so hastily during the first run, despite being so popular, at the height of the Cold War?
Old 12-19-2017, 12:19 PM   #16

Quote:
It's a limited publication for Hollywood million-ayuhs and billeeon-ayuhs to purchase for coffee table décor.

A person can actually read these bits of whit and witticism at the end of a number of his television shows. I haven't ever seen any of them at the end of Big Bang Theory which you've posted is a show you watch; mostly they're at the end of Two and a Half Men - Anyone can DVR the show, and read Chuck Lorre's little quips by hitting the 'pause' button - they're shown for one second.

But if you're a gargantually successful disgustingly wealthy Hollywood liberal elite, you can display the book at your home, as a way of saying to your visitors "not only am I gargantually successful and disgustingly wealthy, but I actually care about shit, and I care about the state of the world and the state of humanity too, and that shit, just like Chuck Lorre..."
Have you guys ever noticed that when Bernie Sanders says the word billionaire he sort of adds an additional vowel sound that he doesn't really pronounce when he says millionaires?

"million-ayuhs and billeeon-ayuhs...".

He adds that additional long e sound.

Check it out:

I guess it's more obvious and emphasized at some times more than others...
Old 12-19-2017, 12:47 PM   #17

his Brooklyn accent comes out more when he gets himself wound up.

as far as NYC-area accents go, I never minded that one.

Long Island and Queens are an entirely different matter. nails on chalkboard to me.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:51 PM   #18

Quote:
his Brooklyn accent comes out more when he gets himself wound up.

as far as NYC-area accents go, I never minded that one.

Long Island and Queens are an entirely different matter. nails on chalkboard to me.
I guess he gets more wound up by billionaires than by millionaires.

Unless it's just that he's starting to wind up at millionaires so as by the time he gets to saying "billionaires" he is coasting on a full on roll.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:22 PM   #19

Quote:
I always thought of Star Trek as sci-fi for adults; Star Wars was kiddie faire. The plots of a typical Star Trek episode were a lot higher-minded and philosophical or offered political commentary that you wouldn't find in Star Wars. not much nuance to "Darth Vader" as a force of evil and Luke Skywalker as good. shit. GI Joe cartoons from the 80's had more depth than that.

Star Trek's whole "no need for money or possessions" thing probably made NBC execs and US government censors squirm. maybe that's why it was cancelled so hastily during the first run, despite being so popular, at the height of the Cold War?
You know, I was thinking about this post, and with it, you have truly gone somewhere no one has gone before.

You have succeeded in making Star Trek seem even nerdier than it actually really is.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:32 PM   #20

Quote:
You know, I was thinking about this post, and with it, you have truly gone somewhere no one has gone before.

You have succeeded in making Star Trek seem even nerdier than it actually really is.

Hey: If Boldly Going Where No Man Has Gone Before is nerdy, so be it.