Go Back   DetroitSportsForum > Off topic > Media > Books

Old 08-21-2011, 01:29 PM   #21

Science fiction and Fantasy Books

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI_Thumb
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR
I'm a big fan of The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. They're working on a movie deal for it, with Ron Howard directing, but it's currently in limbo. I really hope they do it right, if they're going to do it at all.

http://www.stephenking.com/DarkTower/

This the first 3 were far better then the rest though.

Also, the Talisman and Black House by King and Straub (Ghost story fame) are the first outside references outside of The Stand that mention the Crimson King or the Breakers, though several other books do later.
I actually liked the 4th one best, Wizards and Glass, but that was the first of the series that I read (then I went back and started from the beginning, and waited for the last three to come out) and that's probably the reason it stood out for me. I do agree it petered out toward the end.

I had thought about reading all the books with references and did start on the Talisman, but I don't think I ever finished it. I thought Black House was much more recent though?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-21-2011, 09:59 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR
Quote:

This the first 3 were far better then the rest though.

Also, the Talisman and Black House by King and Straub (Ghost story fame) are the first outside references outside of The Stand that mention the Crimson King or the Breakers, though several other books do later.
I actually liked the 4th one best, Wizards and Glass, but that was the first of the series that I read (then I went back and started from the beginning, and waited for the last three to come out) and that's probably the reason it stood out for me. I do agree it petered out toward the end.

I had thought about reading all the books with references and did start on the Talisman, but I don't think I ever finished it. I thought Black House was much more recent though?

Black house is more recent, 2001, and is set with the lead from the Talisman who was a child then, grown up and retired from the LAPD.

I read the Dark Tower series when Wizards and Glass came out also, but I did not read book 4 until I read the other in order (about 3 weeks, I read a lot) then the hard part was after reading all 4 books quickly, waiting years for the other installments.
"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
Old 08-22-2011, 10:27 AM   #23

Quote:

Black house is more recent, 2001, and is set with the lead from the Talisman who was a child then, grown up and retired from the LAPD.

I read the Dark Tower series when Wizards and Glass came out also, but I did not read book 4 until I read the other in order (about 3 weeks, I read a lot) then the hard part was after reading all 4 books quickly, waiting years for the other installments.
I picked up book 4 at an airport news stand, needing something to read before a flight to Phoenix. It was pretty confusing at first, but it made learning the background of the characters in the first couple books even more interesting. But yeah, that wait was brutal.

Have you read any of the supplementary stuff he's put out since then? I know there is a comic book series, not sure what else.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:43 AM   #24

No, I have not read any of the comics or other stuff yet, but I read so many books it's tough to stick to a specific author, so sometimes I don't read books until they are 2-3 years in paperback.

Also, I read the final bit in the last book, instead of putting it down like Kings reccomended, and was dissapointed that the true ending was that, well you know....was.
"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
Old 09-20-2011, 12:59 PM   #25

I am currently reading "wizard and glass". i love the dark tower series so far! king rules!
Old 09-21-2011, 04:17 PM   #26

Soft Apocalypse, By Will Macintosh... Fun fast read about the near future when things go bad...LOL..

FIND A DAMN RUNNING BACK!
Old 09-21-2011, 04:21 PM   #27

Leviathan Wakes, By James S. Corey 2011 Science fiction book... On the cover it was recommended by George R.R. Martin so that was good enough for me..

Corey is a pen name for Danial Abraham, and Ty Franck both are Martin assistants.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:22 PM   #28

Hunters Run, 2004, by Geroge R.R Martin, Danial Abraham, and Gardner Dozois... Good book and in the end they talk about how they all worked on different parts of the book... Very fun read.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:26 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullet97
The series I just finished reading was the The Emberverse Series. I was pretty impressed with the first three. The next four are OK but they changed a bit. I will read the last few when they come out.

Looks good..I may have to give it a look... Thanks...
Old 10-14-2011, 04:30 PM   #30

1632 series (Ring of Fire) by Eric Flint (and others)... really cool concept and good writing/characters. Best of all, the first few books of the series can be read online for free, and if you want to continue the rest of the series is available for under $6 online.
link
http://www.webscription.net/c-1-free-library.aspx