Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Favorite Authors

Heck list as many as you want... Some of my favorites past and present.

1. Cormac McCarthy.
2. Jim Harrison.
3. Philip K. Dick
4. Iain M. Banks.
5. George RR Martin.
6. Ernest Hemingway.
7. Edgar Rice Burroughs.
8. John Keegan.
9. Robert E. Howard.
10. J.R.R. Tolkien.

There are so many authors that I have only read a few books of that are really great. As you can see I have included many SF books.. A few authors from my youth for sure..

So many many more I like...

[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]Heck list as many as you want... Some of my favorites past and present.

1. Cormac McCarthy.
2. Jim Harrison.
3. Philip K. Dick
4. Iain M. Banks.
5. George RR Martin.
6. Ernest Hemingway.
7. Edgar Rice Burroughs.
8. John Keegan.
9. Robert E. Howard.
10. J.R.R. Tolkien.

There are so many authors that I have only read a few books of that are really great. As you can see I have included many SF books.. A few authors from my youth for sure..

I finally started reading the George RR Martin series. The books are good but I find myself wanting to throttle a most of the characters (Which I suppose is the point).

Tough to give a list of favorite authors because my moods and tastes change fairly frequently but in no particular order:

Long time favorites:
Erich Maria Remarque - The author of my favorite book. Oddly enough I have only read one of his books yet it is my favorite.
Douglas Adams
J.R.R. Tolkien
Jean Shepherd

Authors I have been reading recently:
George RR Martin
S M Stirling (Really enjoyed the first three books of the change series)
Dennis Lehane

silverbullet97 said:
[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]Heck list as many as you want... Some of my favorites past and present.

1. Cormac McCarthy.
2. Jim Harrison.
3. Philip K. Dick
4. Iain M. Banks.
5. George RR Martin.
6. Ernest Hemingway.
7. Edgar Rice Burroughs.
8. John Keegan.
9. Robert E. Howard.
10. J.R.R. Tolkien.

I finally started reading the George RR Martin series. The books are good but I find myself wanting to throttle a most of the characters (Which I suppose is the point).

Tough to give a list of favorite authors because my moods and tastes change fairly frequently but in no particular order:

Long time favorites:
Erich Maria Remarque - The author of my favorite book. Oddly enough I have only read one of his books yet it is my favorite.
Douglas Adams
J.R.R. Tolkien
Jean Shepherd

Authors I have been reading recently:
George RR Martin
S M Stirling (Really enjoyed the first three books of the change series)
Dennis Lehane

I so agree with you on Martin's writing. I want to rip the heads off certain characters just like you said... it gets maddening sometimes.

There are so many others that I really thoroughly enjoy, it's always hard for me to narrow it down to a list of my favorites. In no particular order some of the ones i read frequently are:

-Chuck Palahniuk
-Bret Easton Ellis
-Ernest Hemingway
-Charles Dickens
-Henry Miller
-Ayn Rand
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Jack Kerouac
-Ken Kesey
-Dostoevsky
-Tolstoy
-Vince Flynn
-Ken Follett
-George Orwell
-John Steinbeck
-John LeCarre

As you can probably see I really read all kinds of stuff, I just started Roberto Balano's 2666. I was at a bookstore chain's going out of business sale over the weekend and that one caught my eye, never read anything by him before but so far so good.

kgdetroit said:
There are so many others that I really thoroughly enjoy, it's always hard for me to narrow it down to a list of my favorites. In no particular order some of the ones i read frequently are:

-Chuck Palahniuk
-Bret Easton Ellis
-Ernest Hemingway
-Charles Dickens
-Henry Miller
-Ayn Rand
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Jack Kerouac
-Ken Kesey
-Dostoevsky
-Tolstoy
-Vince Flynn
-Ken Follett
-George Orwell
-John Steinbeck
-John LeCarre

As you can probably see I really read all kinds of stuff, I just started Roberto Balano's 2666. I was at a bookstore chain's going out of business sale over the weekend and that one caught my eye, never read anything by him before but so far so good.

Great list... How could I forgot the greats George Orwell
-John Steinbeck, and Dickens.... (It was late) My normal excuse..

I have that book you are talking about but alas i bought it new online.. It has been sitting on my Bookshelf waiting for my as are a lot of books. I have heard good things about the book and Author who past away. I own a few of the Russian authors you have but had some trouble with them. I read Idiots, and War and peace... I also had trouble with Rand, and Kerouc.. i have started there books many time only to just stop.. I need to just start them and finish them.. I read Fear and loathing and a lot of his articles but that is it for Hunter.

What a great list... Thanks for reminding me the books I need to read yet..

[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]
kgdetroit said:

-Chuck Palahniuk
-Bret Easton Ellis
-Ernest Hemingway
-Charles Dickens
-Henry Miller
-Ayn Rand
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Jack Kerouac
-Ken Kesey
-Dostoevsky
-Tolstoy
-Vince Flynn
-Ken Follett
-George Orwell
-John Steinbeck
-John LeCarre

Great list... How could I forgot the greats George Orwell
-John Steinbeck, and Dickens.... (It was late) My normal excuse..

I have that book you are talking about but alas i bought it new online.. It has been sitting on my Bookshelf waiting for my as are a lot of books. I have heard good things about the book and Author who past away. I own a few of the Russian authors you have but had some trouble with them. I read Idiots, and War and peace... I also had trouble with Rand, and Kerouc.. i have started there books many time only to just stop.. I need to just start them and finish them.. I read Fear and loathing and a lot of his articles but that is it for Hunter.

What a great list... Thanks for reminding me the books I need to read yet..

Thanks! I think that people in my generation (I'm 26) tend to gloss over a lot of the classic literature and are really missing out. If it doesn't read like People magazine then they never even pick it up. The Jersey Shoreification of society I guess... lol.

For some reason I liked a lot of the classic Russian literature, War and Peace was good but I think my favorite was Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky. Great book. The Demons is also a good one by him, its sometimes called the The Devils depending on the translation. I would also have to say that Ayn Rand is one of my all time favorites. The Fountainhead, Atlas Shrugged, We the Living, and Anthem are among my favorite books.

For Kerouac, On the Road is a really good read. The people in the book remind me a lot of the American counterparts to Henry Miller's characters in Tropic of Cancer for some reason. Perhaps its all the boozing and depravity going on in both books lol.

Ken Kesey's Sailor Song is pretty interesting too, as is One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest. Way better than the movie, but aren't they always that way?

Sorry I kinda started rambling there, and I don't want to come off as pretentious at all. Books are one of my favorite things and I don't get a chance to discuss them very often :)

kgdetroit said:
Thanks! I think that people in my generation (I'm 26) tend to gloss over a lot of the classic literature and are really missing out. If it doesn't read like People magazine then they never even pick it up. The Jersey Shoreification of society I guess... lol.
"The Jersey Shoreification of society" is a great line!

Lee Child
Stephen King
Stephen Hunter
Steven Coonts
Clive Cussler
Ken Follet
Michael Connolly
John Grisham
James Patterson
Michael Crichton
James Clavell

Anyone else familiar with Jim Butcher and his Dresden series? Love those books

jdbaker1 said:
Hemingway and Twain.

Have you read the 1st volume of the Twain autobiography? I started it over a year ago, but I have touched it for months...which is strange because I loved reading it.

...didn't get any hell for saying "rand".

Guess that's a failure.

Did you mean Ayn Rand?

yuck.

You probably won't appreciate this quote:
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.​
Link.

I'm also a big fan of the facebook group: "Plugging the Gulf Oil Leak with the Works of Ayn Rand." It's so perfect in so many ways...

Back