Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

RB situation

zyxt9

Any who still doubt Nyquil? Yes, he made a few rookie mistakes, but the guy is legit and if they try to gamble by putting him on PS, they will lose as some team will pick him up.

So, play the GM/Coach game...what would you do?

1. Say fuck it and let another team take him while Lions roll with Riddick/Bell/Abs?
2. Try to trade either Bell or Riddick and roll with Nyquil instead of whomever is traded?
3. Consider Bell expendable due to injury and not yet able to return?
4. Figure out how to keep 4 RBs (resulting in a deficiency elsewhere).

I lean toward trading either Riddick or Bell. Of the two, I think Riddick has more trade value since he could be listed as the starter for Week 1, though I would prefer Abs be the starter over Riddick (important part for max trade value is to give the impression Riddick is the starter). The difficulty is what can they get in return? If they could get help on D, specifically pass defense, then I would definitely do it, even if the defender is only a solid 2nd stringer who gets good number of minutes. The pass defense vs Jax was flat out unacceptable and if they don't figure something out, it could be a disappointing season.

Any who still doubt Nyquil? Yes, he made a few rookie mistakes, but the guy is legit and if they try to gamble by putting him on PS, they will lose as some team will pick him up.

1. Say fuck it and let another team take him while Lions roll with Riddick/Bell/Abs?
2. Try to trade either Bell or Riddick and roll with Nyquil instead of whomever is traded?

I lean toward trading either Riddick or Bell. Of the two, I think Riddick has more trade value since he could be listed as the starter for Week 1, though I would prefer Abs be the starter over Riddick (important part for max trade value is to give the impression Riddick is the starter). The difficulty is what can they get in return? If they could get help on D, specifically pass defense, then I would definitely do it, even if the defender is only a solid 2nd stringer who gets good number of minutes. The pass defense vs Jax was flat out unacceptable and if they don't figure something out, it could be a disappointing season.

Aaron Brown was legit. You're welcome.

Put him on the practice squad. If someone gets hurt, you bring him on.

Make Riddick a slot WR.....roll with Bell, Abdullah and Zenner.

Make Riddick a slot WR.....roll with Bell, Abdullah and Zenner.

I see I missed an option, a VERY good option consider the lack of talent in the slot. Only potential downside to keeping Riddick is they need to find another solution to upgrading the pass defense, but that isn't impossible to do on its own.

Really like Riddick, but he's a poor man's Ameer Abdullah, imo. Do we need him anymore? With Bell being 29-30 years old, with nagging injuries coming into this year, having another bigger back that can step in and play his role is much more valuable than having an extra smaller back in riddick, that hasn't done anything for the running game since he's been here. I just see Riddick as the odd man out at this point.

Last edited:
Ive been thinking that for quite awhile now.

My opinion.....if I were Caldwell.....I would go into the season like this.....

RB - Bell, Abdullah and Zenner

WR - Megatron, Tate, Fuller, Riddick and Moore.

That gives the Lions a boatload of options as far as sets, formations and shifts are concerned. Four of those WR can play outside (CJ,Tate,Fuller and Moore) and 4 can play inside (Tate, Riddick, Moore and CJ).

Lots of options.

Is Nyquil his "official" nickname or is it something you're trying to start?

Either way, it's stupid.

Sorry.

Is Nyquil his "official" nickname or is it something you're trying to start?

Either way, it's stupid.

Sorry.

1. It came from cheeno from the draft day thread about UDFAs. He said the dude is Nyquil because he is a sleeper and will be a stud. So far, he is absolutely spot on with his assessment.
2. It isn't stupid when combining the above with his initials being Zs...as in Nyquil.

Sorry if you missed out on all that previously. It is a great nic for the kid. You don't have to like it, doesn't mean it isn't a great nic and some on here are going to keep using it...sorry if it bothers you that much.

Must be a way to save him. No way he clears waivers for us to put him on the practice squad now after all the stats he has put up this preseason. I like him I say give him a shot..

He bowled through a major wall to score that TD last night. With how much the run game sucked last year, Caldwell better be considering ALL of his options, and this guy would definitely be one of them. Also, I haven't gotten to see a whole lot of Laken (sp?) Tomlinson this preseason, how's he looking in run blocking so far?

My cats name is Lesnar and my daughter calls him zenner....so i hope he makes the team. Really is irrelevant reasoning. ....just about as relevant as a 4th string rb.

I think the growing consensus is that he is 2nd string behind Abdullah, since Bell is still recovering from injury and Riddick has not been nearly as exciting to watch as the rookies.

I also like that when he runs he really wraps the ball up well. His mindset is obviously that the most important thing is to protect the football, something most RBs have as a second thought at best.

NyQuil helps you get your Zs. I think Riddick to the slot is the best option as well. Zenner played against ones the other night, Jacksonville ones but starters nonetheless. I do think if we stash him on the PS and injuries enviably happen to rbs around the league and he'll be gone this year to someone else.

Last edited:
He bowled through a major wall to score that TD last night. With how much the run game sucked last year, Caldwell better be considering ALL of his options, and this guy would definitely be one of them. Also, I haven't gotten to see a whole lot of Laken (sp?) Tomlinson this preseason, how's he looking in run blocking so far?

His biggest knock is finding the linebackers on the second level.

1. Cut Winn ....buhbye

2. Abdullah, Bell, Riddick and Zenner. Easy

Bell is a bandaid, Abdullah is small and Riddick is more of a passing threat. Zenner is a true RB with no injuries. Gotta keep this kid

Zenner should have been drafted too. I saw a 5th rd grade on this kid at one point. We're lucky to have this kid on the roster. If he lands on the PS - HE's GONE.

Are there ways of protecting certain players that go on your PS btw? Making them untouchable? I thought there was.....not sure.

Not according to:

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/8/29/6077941/nfl-practice-squad-rules-eligibility-salary-deadline

A player can be signed by another team at any time, provided the new team is going to place the man on their active roster. The only time a practice-squad member can't jump to an active roster is when the upcoming opponent tries to sign him within five days of the game (nine on a bye week). For a player who is released to be put on the practice squad, they are first put through waivers. At that point, any team can put in a claim and try to sign him, either to their active roster or to their practice squad with a higher offer.

Not that their site is 100% accurate, just the first source I went to and seemed to have the info. No mention of being able to protect a player, though I guess that could be done by making a higher offer and moving them to the Active roster...but in this case they would need to just put him on the 53 man roster to begin with because no way he isn't snatched up immediately. So, either figure it out or let him go. If they let him go, there will be a large % of angry people in the fan base.

Basically, he will not be on a PS. Any guy who performs as well as he has during Preseason deserves to be on an Active roster on some team, which is awesome for him. Kudos to Mayhew for finding a potential Undrafted star player...now he just has to figure out which other guy is getting cut.

Maybe they can roll with 4 WRs and 4 RBs, with Riddick getting time at both. That is unorthodox, but not impossible. I cannot imagine they drop a guy from the DBs to keep him...not when they need to pick up a DB who gets cut by another team to improve their depth, IMO.

Or maybe they finally cut Pettigrew and roll with Ebron and Fauria at TE??? Yeah...I doubt that happens too.

Back