Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

How the Lions make the playoffs: Tiebreakers

I'll be interested to hear how a team that's just as bad at running the ball will have an advantage in the freezing rain.

The better passing team, the lions, is hurt more when the weather is shitty and nullifies passing

Bengals would have been shitty passers anyway

Both can't run but will have to. If bengals could run it would be an even bigger advantage for them. It's still a small advantage to nullify the lions best weapons

Try to think for a change

It's all the fun of being a fan.

Do I have high confidence that they could make a run in the playoffs? No
Do I think they could win a game? Absolutely

Might as well enjoy the ride, as a Lions fan I'll take what I can get.

I have about as much confidence in them winning a playoff game as I do them building a better team from a slightly better draft pick. Give me the playoffs 100 out of 100 times.

I'm all for the playoffs but when you don't win a game the season isn't any better than last years non playoff. And the Lions org. have a history of not caring if we get playoff wins.

Even Caldwell when he spoke highly of Marvin Lewis and mentions all the playoffs he's made but he's 0-7 when it counts. This team had playoff banners up for years..

This team doesn't care.

As far as making a run, this team is dismal vs good teams. They have no chance in the playoffs, not one. And I quote from Animal House, zero point zero. And honestly this is not a ride I'm enjoying.

Last edited:
I'm all for the playoffs but when you don't win a game the season isn't any better than last years non playoff. And the Lions org. have a history of not caring if we get playoff wins.

Even Caldwell when he spoke highly of Marvin Lewis and mentions all the playoffs he's made but he's 0-7 when it counts. This team had playoff banners up for years..

This team doesn't care.

As far as making a run, this team is dismal vs good teams. They have no chance in the playoffs, not one. And I quote from Animal House, zero point zero. And honestly this is not a ride I'm enjoying.

What?s the alternative? Do you think they can build a better team by missing the playoffs? I?m not all that convinced that they can. I think losing is one of those intangibles that we might not know how it will impact the confidence of the team next season and beyond. I think making the playoffs and giving the team that experience is a plus, regardless of what happens.

We can?t be so defeatist that we?d rather miss the playoffs because the Lions might get steamrolled. If the front office thinks the team doesn?t care, then they should address that. If they can?t see that, then we?re fucked anyway. I just don?t see the benefit in missing the playoffs.

It is mind boggling that some so called fans are rooting for their team to miss the playoffs. There are no guarantees on what happens if we miss the playoffs. Caldwell will most likely still be here, moving up a couple spots in the draft isn't going to automatically make them better. Just enjoy the wins.

It is mind boggling that some so called fans are rooting for their team to miss the playoffs. There are no guarantees on what happens if we miss the playoffs. Caldwell will most likely still be here, moving up a couple spots in the draft isn't going to automatically make them better. Just enjoy the wins.

I'm not rooting for them to miss I just want them to win playoff games. And after 52 years on earth I've come to the conclusion that they can't. Many, even the organization, gives big kudos to the team because they make a playoff now and then. I don't want the org. to give out extensions just because they make it to the playoffs. And when they do it seems that's the bar - they've succeeded. That has to change.

I'm not rooting for them to miss I just want them to win playoff games. And after 52 years on earth I've come to the conclusion that they can't. Many, even the organization, gives big kudos to the team because they make a playoff now and then. I don't want the org. to give out extensions just because they make it to the playoffs. And when they do it seems that's the bar - they've succeeded. That has to change.

That?s an organizational problem. Missing the playoffs isn?t suddenly going to change the culture. If you?re worried about undeserved extensions, I wouldn?t bother being a fan until there?s an ownership change. We either take what we get or we walk away.

People shouldn?t believe that missing the playoffs will magically turn on the light bulb for this organization, because it won?t, we have decades of evidence to prove this.

That?s an organizational problem. Missing the playoffs isn?t suddenly going to change the culture. If you?re worried about undeserved extensions, I wouldn?t bother being a fan until there?s an ownership change. We either take what we get or we walk away.

People shouldn?t believe that missing the playoffs will magically turn on the light bulb for this organization, because it won?t, we have decades of evidence to prove this.

Like a said I'm not rooting for them to miss the playoffs so they get a lower draft pick. I have jut lost confidence .. And have no confidence they compete vs the better teams.

Lions have a great QB, good defense, good ST and plenty of weapons. They can win multiple playoff games.

Go Saints, Go Bucs and Detroit runs the table

What’s the alternative? Do you think they can build a better team by missing the playoffs? I’m not all that convinced that they can. I think losing is one of those intangibles that we might not know how it will impact the confidence of the team next season and beyond. I think making the playoffs and giving the team that experience is a plus, regardless of what happens.

We can’t be so defeatist that we’d rather miss the playoffs because the Lions might get steamrolled. If the front office thinks the team doesn’t care, then they should address that. If they can’t see that, then we’re fucked anyway. I just don’t see the benefit in missing the playoffs.

It's pretty easy Grandy. They will make it as a 6 seed, and will have essentially little to zero shot at winning a road game against superior teams that they have already lost to.

Making the playoffs will essentially keep the current coach in place, and he's just not the right guy.

So it's just the opposite for me. I don't see any reason in having some short term enjoyment out of watching a wild card game to prevent long-term success. They've already had that "experience" of making the playoffs. What's it really done for them? Other than show how far away they are from actually being a competitive franchise.

Last edited:
It's pretty easy Grandy. They will make it as a 6 seed, and will have essentially little to zero shot at winning a road game against superior teams that they have already lost to.

Making the playoffs will essentially keep the current coach in place, and he's just not the right guy.

So it's just the opposite for me. I don't see any reason in having some short term enjoyment out of watching a wild card game to prevent long-term success. They've already had that "experience" of making the playoffs. What's it really done for them? Other than show how far away they are from actually being a competitive franchise.

There's no guarantee the next coaching staff will be any better, that's the problem I have with this logic. I'm not a fan of Caldwell and I think he should be gone for anything less than a playoff win this year, but I'd say there's a good chance he stays even if they miss the playoffs.

You don't know if Caldwell will be fired for missing the playoffs and you don't know if the next coaching staff will be an improvement or not. What reasons do you have to believe that missing the playoffs this year will lead to better long-term success? What has this organization ever done to convince you of this?

I think most on here believe that Caldwell is not the coach to take us to the next level. Due to that, he has a better chance of being fired if we do not make the playoffs. Is it a guarantee...NO. But making the playoffs this year, especially if we are bounced in the first round will not do anything wither to move this franchise forward.

I think most on here believe that Caldwell is not the coach to take us to the next level. Due to that, he has a better chance of being fired if we do not make the playoffs. Is it a guarantee...NO. But making the playoffs this year, especially if we are bounced in the first round will not do anything wither to move this franchise forward.

I don't think missing the playoffs and firing Caldwell will necessarily move this franchise forward either. That's my problem with the fan attitude of wanting them to miss the playoffs. The same people who have no faith in this team winning a playoff game this year seem to have a lot of faith in the front office replacing Caldwell with the right person.

There's no guarantee the next coaching staff will be any better, that's the problem I have with this logic. I'm not a fan of Caldwell and I think he should be gone for anything less than a playoff win this year, but I'd say there's a good chance he stays even if they miss the playoffs.

You don't know if Caldwell will be fired for missing the playoffs and you don't know if the next coaching staff will be an improvement or not. What reasons do you have to believe that missing the playoffs this year will lead to better long-term success? What has this organization ever done to convince you of this?

And I have a problem with that logic. I hate the entire "Who are you going to get?" line when it comes to coaching changes. There's one word for that: fear. That means the organization is fine with the guy, and that means they are fine with being average and putting out a coach who is bar none, in the bottom 3 when it comes to game management. You will NEVER win with this guy. And what's the goal here? To win a championship.

Yeah, it may not work out with Matt Patricia or whoever else Quinn has his eye on. But it's not going to work with this guy. And them making the playoffs as a 6, bending over and getting whipped will keep Caldwell. If they miss the playoffs, they can start to actually get serious about this team. It just reminds me of the Pistons constantly making the playoffs as an 8 seed. Just mediocre enough to not get in the lottery, but bad enough that they won't do anything.

He's not the guy, period, end of discussion. So I want the best chance for the team to move from him, and that means not being a whipping boy in the wild card. This is the EXACT same way I felt about Rich Rod. I was actively rooting for them to get smoked in the bowl game against Miss State because that guaranteed his going bye bye. If they miss the playoffs and keep this guy around, that's going to be a really, really hard sell for the fans. I'm not going to be a Bengals fan on Sunday, but I definitely won't be upset if the Lions lose.

Last edited:
And I have a problem with that logic. I hate the entire "Who are you going to get?" line when it comes to coaching changes. There's one word for that: fear. That means the organization is fine with the guy, and that means they are fine with being average and putting out a coach who is bar none, in the bottom 3 when it comes to game management. You will NEVER win with this guy. And what's the goal here? To win a championship.

I'm not asking "who are you going to get?", I'm sure there are several better candidates than Caldwell right now, I'm asking "who are they going to get?". The incompetence of this organization is well-proven and the next guy may be just as bad as Caldwell. I guess you could hope that they get lucky, but I think there's a very slim chance of that.

If they miss the playoffs, they can start to actually get serious about this team.

I'll be honest, I laughed hard when I read this. This is pure delusion, I know you're better than this.

He's not the guy, period, end of discussion. So I want the best chance for the team to move from him, and that means not being a whipping boy in the wild card. This is the EXACT same way I felt about Rich Rod. I was actively rooting for them to get smoked in the bowl game against Miss State because that guaranteed his going bye bye. If they miss the playoffs and keep this guy around, that's going to be a really, really hard sell for the fans.

I agree entirely about Caldwell, I don't think he adds any benefit to the team and should be fired regardless of what happens. What I don't understand is the desire for this team to miss the playoffs in the hopes that the organization will suddenly get serious and fire him. If this organization was any good, they would see through this bullshit and find a better coach, but their track record proves otherwise.

Be a fan, root for the guys on this team to win now. The better future you envision from missing the playoffs is not based in reality, this organization can't be trusted to make the right decisions. Don't fall into the trap again.

Why is that funny? What good do you expect to happen in the playoffs? They are a wild card team that will go into New Orleans or Carolina or wherever they are assigned, lose by 15-20, and then be stuck in the same shit we've seen over and over again. Yeah, it's very easy to pick out that single line and extrapolate it without actually using the rest of my conversation. There's no context with that, that's kind of a cheap shot.

Like I said, there's nothing to gain from being a team that begs other teams for help and earns a garbage bid. If they had the talent to make a run, I'd be okay with it. But they don't.

Last edited:
Why is that funny? What good do you expect to happen in the playoffs? They are a wild card team that will go into New Orleans or Carolina or wherever they are assigned, lose by 15-20, and then be stuck in the same shit we've seen over and over again. Yeah, it's very easy to pick out that single line and extrapolate it without actually using the rest of my conversation. There's no context with that, that's kind of a cheap shot.

Like I said, there's nothing to gain from being a team that begs other teams for help and earns a garbage bid. If they had the talent to make a run, I'd be okay with it. But they don't.

This team would probably get shit on in the playoffs, but I still want to see them make it. Any given Sunday and all that crap. As a Lions fan, we have to take what we can get since we never know when the next playoff chance might be.

This organization has never been serious about winning, missing the playoffs this year isn't going to change that, sorry to tell you. If this was a functional organization, you would be 100% correct about everything, but that's not the case and it never will be until an ownership change.

This team would probably get shit on in the playoffs, but I still want to see them make it. Any given Sunday and all that crap. As a Lions fan, we have to take what we can get since we never know when the next playoff chance might be.

This organization has never been serious about winning, missing the playoffs this year isn't going to change that, sorry to tell you. If this was a functional organization, you would be 100% correct about everything, but that's not the case and it never will be until an ownership change.

Well, all I can do is hope that Quinn is the right guy for the job. And personally, I think he was completely handcuffed by Martha in regards to Caldwell.

Back