Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

No Surprise Here File: religious kids meaner than atheist kids

Michchamp

Link to article on study.

Not just picking on you Christians either, it was kids from any religious background:
"It was the children in non-religious homes most likely to be generous toward a stranger. The longer a child had lived in a religious home, the stingier he was compared to his secular peers.
Researchers also measured how children perceived interpersonal harm and what degree of punishment they thought was appropriate. Religious children judged others' actions as meaner and more deserving of punishment than kids in secular homes.

The study concluded that in this way religious children tend to come across as more judgmental, while also being less altruistic."
Ironically, we see again and again that atheists are the most Christ-like of all humankind.

...naming the model number of the computer is kind of a giveaway that the paper was written by a rookie, but it's one of those things you just don't make a big deal out of. When someone is new to research, they often report every detail they can, even unimportant details like that. It's not necessarily that they don't have the ability to judge what's important enough to report; I think they don't feel they have the authority to make that call yet.

the article I posted said 1200 kids participated.

seems like a large enough sample size to me.

Large enough to support your pre-conceived notions and world view, which you seem to promote with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind.

It's not a matter of sample size. It's a matter of socioeconomics. Atheists do not represent a typical cross-section of society.

Meh, I don't think it really matters. You get good and bad with both. I will say, however, that kids whose parents are very strict and even abusive are usually meaner than not. It's all about how the kids are raised.

Large enough to support your pre-conceived notions and world view, which you seem to promote with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind.

it wasn't really pre-conceived. that would imply I was given it without thought.

it is a conceived notion, is what I'm saying.

So "preconceived notion" is sorta like "double reverse".
Yes, I suppose that analogy makes sense.

Although, "pre-conceived" could be any notion that is conceived prior to some measuring event.

I don't know about that explanation.

I do suspect it's really the same issue as most studies about atheists; did they control for education and wealth?
That's true, inverse relationship between education, socioeconomic status, and practicing religion.

The statement leads one to believe that the kids are meaner BECAUSE they are religious, when in fact there are a million cultural stereotypes that can attribute to such a finding.

I prefer the study that says most religious groups are assholes.

... wait, that's not a study at all. That's just my experience.

This was years ago.

One of the reasons my wife left the last church we were at is because of the bullying my daughter received from some of the other girls her age at that time. We confronted the pastor but nothing changed. Sadly it continued on into junior high school. I was very glad my daughter meet other kids through band in 9th grade. Some Christian's not all just do not practice Christian idea's. It really sucked because at the time all my daughter wanted was some friends. Sadly it did not happen through the church..

Last edited:
Back