Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Bojack Horseman

Good show, I wish Netflix would announce the release date for the third season.

This has become one of my favorite things on TV. Not sure how to describe what it's become. Less funny. Much darker. Not dark like the "gritty" violent stuff that usually passes for dark. Dark like, let's do an episode from the point of view of someone with dementia.

Any other animated shows you'd compare it to? I haven't given it a shot yet. Archer funny? Rick and Morty? Robot Chicken? Completely unique?

Any other animated shows you'd compare it to? I haven't given it a shot yet. Archer funny? Rick and Morty? Robot Chicken? Completely unique?

Unique. Maybe a little like Rick and Morty in that combination of terrible character flaws with nerdy humor, but there are significant differences. The plots and the weight of the character flaws and the characters dealing with them are far more like a drama after the first season or two.

There are lots of really nerdy puns and double meaning kinds of jokes along with stupid animal humor in the background, like the trunk of a dog character's car being full of tennis balls. If Rick and Morty jokes are science nerdy, Bojack Horseman jokes are literature and wordplay nerdy.

If you strip away the animals and the animation, I guess it might feel kind of like Louie, the fictionalized Louis C. K. show. That might be the best thing to compare it to. Except way more dark than Louie.

Last edited:
Also, they change the end credits music some of the time to make it relevant to the episode and Netflix cuts it off if you're not fast enough with the remote. I wish you could change settings on a show by show basis.

There was an interview yesterday where the show's creator was asked what shows paved the road and made it possible for him to get this show made. He said "The Simpsons" obviously and then "Girls" and "Mad Men". I've never seen Girls, but I do see parallels between Don Draper and Bojack.

I stopped watching after season two or three . I need to go back and watch them. Not sure why I stopped watching.

Back