Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MSU hires recruiting Coordinator

if you were actually doing that, which you undoubtedly weren't, you'd still be wrong - particularly about Blackwell's results. MSU's 4 recruting classes prior to hiring Blackwell were ranked 30, 31, 41 & 40. Under Blackwell, the classes ranked 22, 22, 18 and 33.

Since you don't have any idea what you're talking about and are only here to stir up shit then offer up weak backpedals when called out, I don't see why anyone would give, as you say, a flying fuck what you think.
That's exactly what I meant when I posted that. And two things about those results. Johnny and fans like him were trumpeting the hiring as a sea change for msu recruiting. I guarantee if you would have shown 2013 Johnny these results he would have been bitterly disappointed. But even better, you are measuring recruiting results solely by recruiting stars. Again, what happened to the good old days when msu fans argued that it mattered more what the players actually did on the field than their star ranking?

But welcome back. I'll give you credit for coming back after getting absolutely bitch slapped. A lesser person would be too embarrassed to come back to the boards after getting emasculated like that.

wk-film-shattered.jpg

Like all good liars and purveyors of made up/fake news, this guy (Stephen Glass, not Hayden Christiansen) plays for your team.

Freep reported Blackwell had a MA in "sports administration" from Baylor University. Baylor is the new Penn St.

Penn St is... well... still Penn St.

Freep also posted a timeline of MSU's off field issues going back to last October.

odd they suspended Blackwell on Feb 9th, but kept extending his contract on a month-to-month basis while the investigation was ongoing. was initially supposed to expire on March 31st. a misguided attempt to keep him on the payroll to buy his loyalty?

looks like Dantonio lost control of his team last fall, and the administration lost control of the football staff shortly thereafter.

there are going to be a lot of job openings in the MSU athletic department this fall.

how is that odd? I'll answer that for you - it's not. This is just more biased nonsense - and as usual, not very well thought out. If not for this incident, the program would have renewed his contract based on his performance. And, as the Freep article timeline indicates, when his contract expired, the investigation was still ongoing. If they were trying to buy his loyalty, why would they do it with a month to month deal that clearly could not be renewed if he was proven guilty of his alleged misdeeds? Clearly, they couldn't give him a long term deal with the outcome of an ongoing investigation unknown. And for the same reason, they couldn't just cut him loose. Renewing his contract month to month while excluding him from involvement with student athletes or recruits with an ongoing investigation is clearly the right thing for both parties.

And how has Dantonio lost control of the team or the administration lost control of the football staff? Every one of these incidents has been disclosed to the public and parties involved have been suspended or kicked off the team. There's no indication the program has attempted to cover up any of these incidents - Blackwell was clearly a lone wolf and he's been terminated for his improper behavior. The folks in AA would do well to take notes on how to properly handle these situations.

Last edited:
That's exactly what I meant when I posted that. And two things about those results. Johnny and fans like him were trumpeting the hiring as a sea change for msu recruiting. I guarantee if you would have shown 2013 Johnny these results he would have been bitterly disappointed. But even better, you are measuring recruiting results solely by recruiting stars. Again, what happened to the good old days when msu fans argued that it mattered more what the players actually did on the field than their star ranking?

But welcome back. I'll give you credit for coming back after getting absolutely bitch slapped. A lesser person would be too embarrassed to come back to the boards after getting emasculated like that.

I don't think you know johnny very well - I guarantee you he would give Blackwell high marks on his performance as a recruiter. And i'm using recruiting class rankings which doesn't only measure recruiting stars - right or wrong, it assigns rather heavy weight to class size as well. It's also the only objective measure that isolates recruiting, which while not perfect is the best way to measure a recruiter's performance - particularly one who doesn't have a coaching role. And by that measure, he did pretty well. If you want include results on the field in his evaluation, at least give some weight to the years before 2016 - it's only fair, right? So even by that score, Blackwell seems to have done fairly well. If you're only going to consider 2016 and what's happened off the field recently, it's kind of absurd to lay that on Blackwell - I don't think a non-coach recruiter could mess things up that badly all by himself or even be considered a major contributor. So if that was indeed exactly what you meant, clearly you still don't know what you're talking about. You'd be better off saying that was an ill thought out excuse for a weak attempt to dump on MSU while being completely ignorant of your hypocrisy. Either way, it doesn't hold up to even the slightest bit of scrutiny.

Bitch slapped? If you're referring to the politics board, I got banned (on purpose) for saying something someone didn't like - you can't seem to get any of the facts straight today. That's not a bitch slapping. A bitch slapping is what I'm doing to you in this thread.

Ha! So you reply to my post last evening, but then get so worked up at 2:30 in the morning that you have to delete it and write up a new one, detailing the mechanics of how recruiting rankings work, along with other garbage. You really should have just stayed away from the boards, you need help!

I will say that I should have addressed my original post directly to Johnny, since I respect nearly all of the other posters on this board and enjoy reading their perspective. So good job, your replies have helped me see that error. I hope you can accept this compliment and it allows you to sleep tonight.

how is that odd? I'll answer that for you - it's not. ...

yeah it is. the fact that this investigation dragged on is as well. they're not uncovering accounting fraud here, it's a college campus sex assault. it doesn't take this long to interview a handful of witnesses and check cell phone records & emails.

the other oddity is how they hired an Ann Arbor attorney to conduct their initial Title IX investigation, then, apparently fired her (??? or buried the results of her investigation? going by the Freep account which doesn't say). then hired another law firm, Jones Day, to do another. looks like they're shopping for the results they want (I expect Jones Day will say whatever State wants them to as long as they pay their bills).

I went back and read over this thread. I was unduly harsh to MSU. Chalk that up to annoyance at the time over MSU fans kicking us when we were down.

I am enjoying a little schadenfreude over those who were most gleefully doing the kicking having their words come back to bite them, but I don't want to see State completely implode like this. They need to just clean house (probably from Hollis on down) and move on.

If I were MSU's president, I would give Jim Hackett a call and see who he recommends...

Ha! So you reply to my post last evening, but then get so worked up at 2:30 in the morning that you have to delete it and write up a new one, detailing the mechanics of how recruiting rankings work, along with other garbage. You really should have just stayed away from the boards, you need help!

I will say that I should have addressed my original post directly to Johnny, since I respect nearly all of the other posters on this board and enjoy reading their perspective. So good job, your replies have helped me see that error. I hope you can accept this compliment and it allows you to sleep tonight.

what difference does it make what time I write or modify a post? Nice attempt to pivot away from the bitch slapping.

My replies should have helped you see a lot of errors you made but I'm afraid it's you that is helpless. And don't flatter yourself - I sleep just fine it just so happens that last night was a Bloodline marathon.

yeah it is. the fact that this investigation dragged on is as well. they're not uncovering accounting fraud here, it's a college campus sex assault. it doesn't take this long to interview a handful of witnesses and check cell phone records & emails.

the other oddity is how they hired an Ann Arbor attorney to conduct their initial Title IX investigation, then, apparently fired her (??? or buried the results of her investigation? going by the Freep account which doesn't say). then hired another law firm, Jones Day, to do another. looks like they're shopping for the results they want (I expect Jones Day will say whatever State wants them to as long as they pay their bills).

I went back and read over this thread. I was unduly harsh to MSU. Chalk that up to annoyance at the time over MSU fans kicking us when we were down.

I am enjoying a little schadenfreude over those who were most gleefully doing the kicking having their words come back to bite them, but I don't want to see State completely implode like this. They need to just clean house (probably from Hollis on down) and move on.

If I were MSU's president, I would give Jim Hackett a call and see who he recommends...

oh yeah, how long did it take for Gibbons to get suspended? How about Jamus Winston? Fail - the fact is sexual assault cases often take a very long time, as a lawyer I would expect you to know that. And by the way the MS investigation has gone on less than half the time of either of those so far.

Do you have a link that shows MSU fired the AA attorney? Because the freep piece says she was hired for the title IX investigation while Jones Day was engaged to conduct a thorough, independent investigation into the football program and staff.

Nothing about any of this is odd.

what difference does it make what time I write or modify a post? Nice attempt to pivot away from the bitch slapping.

My replies should have helped you see a lot of errors you made but I'm afraid it's you that is helpless. And don't flatter yourself - I sleep just fine it just so happens that last night was a Bloodline marathon.

Your bitch slapping amounts to bragging about a three year stretch of recruiting during which the program lost a total of 5 games and pumped players into the NFL. During that stretch Blackwell only managed to parlay one top-20 class (18). Those are piss poor results. An improvement over prior years for sure (although 2017 reverted back to the mean) but when taken in context of the unprecedented success on the field...piss poor.

Also, I'm not giving a bunch of freshmen and sophomores credit for the first two seasons, but fine, I'll include 2015 when looking at on the field results. Team's stocked with 3 and/or 4 classes of his recruits are averaging 5.5 losses per season. Again...piss poor.

oh yeah, how long did it take for Gibbons to get suspended? How about Jamus Winston? Fail - the fact is sexual assault cases often ...

you're cherry picking some bad examples there. FSU and the Tallahassee police are notorious for stonewalling and protecting athletes. someone even wrote a whole report on it. The Gibbons thing... I forget what happened there, but you could probably chalk some of it up to RichRod's regime & the coaching change interfering with the disciplinary process. But other sexual assault cases at Michigan wrapped up a lot quicker (eg Larry Harrison). I'm not talking about criminal charges here, but University & football program disciplinary actions.

Do you have a link that shows MSU fired the AA attorney? Because the freep piece says she was hired for the title IX investigation while Jones Day was engaged to conduct a thorough, independent investigation into the football program and staff.

No, like I said I wasn't sure. that's why I put question marks there. Thought it was unusual to have different attorneys investigating what's more or less the same issue on campus: sexual assault and whether the University policies and actions complied with Title IX. Maybe they're just being extra thorough. or maybe it makes sense here given the difference in focus. certainly possible.

Next time I speculate on something, even when I think it's obvious, I'll be sure to put a special note for you so you don't go and get all confused.

Your bitch slapping amounts to bragging about a three year stretch of recruiting during which the program lost a total of 5 games and pumped players into the NFL. During that stretch Blackwell only managed to parlay one top-20 class (18). Those are piss poor results. An improvement over prior years for sure (although 2017 reverted back to the mean) but when taken in context of the unprecedented success on the field...piss poor.

Also, I'm not giving a bunch of freshmen and sophomores credit for the first two seasons, but fine, I'll include 2015 when looking at on the field results. Team's stocked with 3 and/or 4 classes of his recruits are averaging 5.5 losses per season. Again...piss poor.

I'm not bragging about anything, I'm simply pointing out that recruiting improved over the time period that Blackwell was in charge of recruiting. You think those are "piss poor" results? do you have any idea how hard it is to consistently crack the top 20 in recruiting classes if you're not an program like Alabama, USC, Ohio State, etc? The only thing piss poor here is you're understanding of college football.

And I'm not talking about results on the field at all - strictly recruiting because Blackwell is a recruiter, not a coach.

Edit - and as bad as 2017 was, it wasn't a reversion back to the mean. The mean is somewhere in the mid 40s from the start of MD's tenure through hiring Blackwell and higher going back further so while slipping back to 33 isn't good, it's still much better than the mean.

Last edited:

I'm not here to defend Johnny - he's perfectly capable of that himself, particularly against trolling as weak as this. I'm simply pointing out the hypocrisy and factual errors in your posts. And I doubt that many of other posters here care about having the respect of a troll like you. Not having it certainly doesn't bother me. Now run along troll, quit while you're behind.

you're cherry picking some bad examples there. FSU and the Tallahassee police are notorious for stonewalling and protecting athletes. someone even wrote a whole report on it. The Gibbons thing... I forget what happened there, but you could probably chalk some of it up to RichRod's regime & the coaching change interfering with the disciplinary process. But other sexual assault cases at Michigan wrapped up a lot quicker (eg Larry Harrison). I'm not talking about criminal charges here, but University & football program disciplinary actions.

No, like I said I wasn't sure. that's why I put question marks there. Thought it was unusual to have different attorneys investigating what's more or less the same issue on campus: sexual assault and whether the University policies and actions complied with Title IX. Maybe they're just being extra thorough. or maybe it makes sense here given the difference in focus. certainly possible.

Next time I speculate on something, even when I think it's obvious, I'll be sure to put a special note for you so you don't go and get all confused.

really, can you give me some more examples of Tallahassee police stonewalling and protecting athletes? How about you cite some statistics that show most sexual assault cases are so cut and dry that they take less than 3 months to resolve and then explain how the evidence to this case, which you're undoubtedly keenly aware of, is consistent with those typical cases. I bet sexual assault cases aren't all so cut and dry. In this case, the University's investigation is complete but the criminal investigation is still ongoing - in light of that, it doesn't seem at all unreasonable that the school took about 4 months to investigate and finalize the results.

I know you were speculating, that's why I asked for some evidence. Do you have any evidence that the AA attorney was in fact fired? Doesn't the Freep article talk about the results of her investigation being presented to the school and the school publicly talking about them? And it doesn't sound like they were investigating "more or less" the same issue. It sounds like one was hired for a rather broad review while another for something more specific. You weren't simply speculating - you were implying that the school was trying to cover something up, but that doesn't seem to be the case. There's no indication that any attorneys were fired and there's no indication that school has attempted in anyway to sweep anything under the rug, or shop for the results they want. In fact, from the beginning, it's clear the school has taken this very seriously and publicly disclosed what they can about the incidents. Players and staff involved were suspended, they disclosed the investigations both internal and criminal. What more do you want? Why are you so desperate to disparage the University when it's clear they're not unduly protecting the athletes and staff and selling out the victim?

Last edited:
I'm not bragging about anything, I'm simply pointing out that recruiting improved over the time period that Blackwell was in charge of recruiting. You think those are "piss poor" results? do you have any idea how hard it is to consistently crack the top 20 in recruiting classes if you're not an program like Alabama, USC, Ohio State, etc? The only thing piss poor here is you're understanding of college football.

And I'm not talking about results on the field at all - strictly recruiting because Blackwell is a recruiter, not a coach.

Edit - and as bad as 2017 was, it wasn't a reversion back to the mean. The mean is somewhere in the mid 40s from the start of MD's tenure through hiring Blackwell and higher going back further so while slipping back to 33 isn't good, it's still much better than the mean.

Yes, considering the success that they had, this was piss poor. During Blackwell's tenure, 22 programs managed to have more top-20 recruiting classes than MSU. No excuse for that.

I was using your sample to come up with the mean.

Thanks though, if I'm a troll in your eyes then I'm doing something right.

Average star ranking for our 2018 class, 3.67. We have 4 Four stars and 2 three stars committed. Not time to panic.

Since MSU can take anyone and turn them into NFL impact players, there is indeed no cause for concern.

Yes, considering the success that they had, this was piss poor. During Blackwell's tenure, 22 programs managed to have more top-20 recruiting classes than MSU. No excuse for that.

I was using your sample to come up with the mean.

Thanks though, if I'm a troll in your eyes then I'm doing something right.

ugh, you're still here? and i see your posts aren't getting any less dumb. shoo fly, go away.

Last edited:
Back