Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Freshmen Quarterbacks

And weren't Denard and Forcier the same class?

This thread is making me lose my faith in humanity.

Id just like to rub this in a little more. Alex Hornibrook took Wisconsin to an 11 win season last year. Did anyone know he was a TRUE Freshman? As a sophomore he will now have them playing for a Big10 championship barring disaster.

Id just like to rub this in a little more. Alex Hornibrook took Wisconsin to an 11 win season last year. Did anyone know he was a TRUE Freshman? As a sophomore he will now have them playing for a Big10 championship barring disaster.
He couldn't have been a true freshman. We all know you HAVE to play the upper classman if he's healthy. It's a law.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

But your original post is just so so stupid. Cherry picking some situations and using them to insinuate that the freshmen aren't any good or aren't being developed is Bob level retarded. There are so many variables that go into it and we can only guess that we know what's going on with a small portion of them. I understand wanting to see something different, and have thought the same as 24's post above about making the switch now. But god damn it this is stupid.

But your original post is just so so stupid. Cherry picking some situations and using them to insinuate that the freshmen aren't any good or aren't being developed is Bob level retarded. There are so many variables that go into it and we can only guess that we know what's going on with a small portion of them. I understand wanting to see something different, and have thought the same as 24's post above about making the switch now. But god damn it this is stupid.

Thanks appreciate being called out .. I guess you like being stuck in more mediocrity like Michigan had been for years. I call BS. Our coaching staff is overrated right now but what is new . The only varibles I understand is we were out coached in the rain at home by Msu and the vaunted 2 star prospects again , and way over matched last night as Don Brown's vaunted defense which BTW I have been saying all year is overrated was torched for 42 points .
( " Hey Don Defend the Middle OF THE Field dingbat. It's a slant !!!").

I see nothing wrong in wanting to see what we have in freshman Peters and wanting him to get experience. So please tell me what situations I am cherry picking ? Jim was out coached by Mark in the rain and blasted last night and embarrassed on national tv again. Forgive me if I expected better in year 3 of Harbaugh's tenure even with a younger roster. Playing O'Korn is a waste for next years team and that is flat out fact.

Last edited:
Depends:

Say, you throw Peters out there and he does worse...which is very possible AND Michigan drops any game(s) against Rutgers, Mn, and/or Maryland...then gets blown out by UW and OSU...then loses the bowl game

whereas, Okorn might play, they beat Mn, Rutgers, and Maryland...lose to UW and OSU and you never know what happens in bowl game...

Me? I'd prefer option 2. yeah yeah, those games don't matter. Well, they don't matter until they lose them and people are yelling about more stupid stuff.

There is absolutely no proof that Michigan will improve under Peters or do the same AND they could do worse.

Is it ok to lose out just to get Peters some PT?

At some time we have to find a qb that can grow with the team as a youngster. Wilton won the job last year and yet with a great defense we were still a 3 loss team . We need to find a difference maker at qb.

Depends:

Say, you throw Peters out there and he does worse...which is very possible AND Michigan drops any game(s) against Rutgers, Mn, and/or Maryland...then gets blown out by UW and OSU...then loses the bowl game

whereas, Okorn might play, they beat Mn, Rutgers, and Maryland...lose to UW and OSU and you never know what happens in bowl game...

Me? I'd prefer option 2. yeah yeah, those games don't matter. Well, they don't matter until they lose them and people are yelling about more stupid stuff.

There is absolutely no proof that Michigan will improve under Peters or do the same AND they could do worse.

Is it ok to lose out just to get Peters some PT?

Of course there's no proof. When is there ever proof in a situation like this? It's about what makes sense for the team moving forward to put them in a better situation for the future. We can all agree this season is shot. The only benefit you painted is O'Korn "might" take us to 8-4 as opposed to maybe 6-6 if we throw Peters in. One could argue the reverse is just as probable. O'Korn has lost 2 of his 3 starts and barely squeaked out a win in OT in the other (a game in which he had basically nothing to do with the outcome throwing for only 58 yards). Even if your scenario comes true that means we get 2 extra wins over garbage teams. Whoopty doo?

I would like to see what the kid can do. Maybe it does wind up hurting us this year, but the goal is to improve for next season at this point. 2 extra wins over Maryland and Minnesota are not something I will lose sleep over.

I'd rather not watch Michigan lose the rest of their games

I think Peters should see some time in the Rutgers game. Hopefully, that isn't a tight contest. They did just beat Purdue, though, so I guess we will have to see.

Until they fix that O-line, any QB is going to have trouble.

I'd rather not watch Michigan lose the rest of their games

I think Peters should see some time in the Rutgers game. Hopefully, that isn't a tight contest. They did just beat Purdue, though, so I guess we will have to see.

Until they fix that O-line, any QB is going to have trouble.

None of us want that. However I am not really understanding how you think that is more likely to happen with Peters in rather than O'Korn who has just been dreadful. One of his key weaknesses is he freaks out at the slightest hint of pressure, and with our leaky OLine it's just a recipe for disaster.

Again O'Korn has lost two of his starts and did nothing in the one victory we barely got. So I am just as worried about losing the rest of our games with O'Korn as I would be with Peters. May as well let the kid get a shot.

And certainly it's not all O'Korn's fault especially what happened last night.

Blaming the two losses on one guy on this team is misguided thinking. Replacing one guy with a guy that has been judged to be a backup by the coaches is not the answer. The Oline has been atrocious, replace the Oline with the second or third string guys and freshmen. The backs have whiffed on blocks, replace them with second and third string guys and freshmen. OKorn has missed reads on passes, replace him with a freshman. The receivers have dropped multiple passes that were right in their hands, replace them with...... According to this line of reasoning there is a whole first string team just waiting on the sideline for a chance to show how great they are. Really? Come on that is ludicrous. And hell yes, I would rather get wins vs MD, Rutgers, and Minn than losses just so Peters can get experience as a freshman.

Woh there, buddy. Im not insinuating that they arent good or that they are not being developed. Harbaugh is the one who says they're not ready. The next logical question is, "well why the fuck not?" Im talking both guys McCaffery or Peters. Both at one time were 5* quarterbacks, both at the Elite 11 competition for the best high school quarterbacks in the land. And im not cherry picking situations, im giving examples of teams with our pedigree. I can give more if youd like. Are all freshman(or rs freshman) that are starters doing well? No. But this is about the future going forward and beating our fucking rivals and competing for a playoff birth. We are supposed to have the quarterback whisperer. Well start whispering man cuz shit isnt looking very good at the moment. We are losing to our rivals on an every year basis and that is unacceptable when we recruit the way we do and spend the money on coaches this program does. No one wants Harbaugh(we know he has the it factor) gone, but he's going to have to start hurting some feelings soon, very soon. For godsakes OKorn and Speight cant even throw a 5yd out consistently without overthrowing or throwing it in the fucking dirt. We have issues. Could it be the secondary coaching(qb coach or OC)? Right now, who knows with the way plays have been called. My god, these coaches are calling 20-30yd pass plays when we need 6yds for a 1st down.

Don't worry about DR. He never has any opinions, just shits on people who do.

The OLine has a problem with blitzing. They are easily confused and our backs whiff a ton. So, what does that tell the coaches? Well, if im a coach, that tells me that I need some quick hitting plays not long developing plays that will get me sacked 7 times. Although, there were plenty of times where OKorn had all day and decided NOT to take off, but in turn take a sack. This offense confuses me. Even when a team stacks the box, we still get good runs(They beg for us to pass with OKorn)The outside toss to Isaac is such a good play. He patiently follows the blocks and gets 1st downs almost everytime. And if its not a 1st down its close. We have some semblance of an offense and there are plays that are there. If its not the qb on a given play, its the call, if its not the call, its the qb. Shit just isnt gelling at all.

Don't worry about DR. He never has any opinions, just shits on people who do.

I actually like him, as I do everyone here. We all have an opinion on this one and some agree and some dont. Calling people names probably isnt productive, but ill let it slide. This team is an addiction that most of us have had through childhood. And our opinions will be strong, even if incoherrent at times, but that is because we are very passionate lot.

As diehards, we all just want the progress that we are missing right now, that well recruited teams have as the season wears on. Its sucks we arent getting better. In some ways I think that our devastating loss to OSU last year is amplifying our disgust. We win that game and we might be a little more understanding of the situation and a little more patient...............maybe not;)

Blaming the two losses on one guy on this team is misguided thinking. Replacing one guy with a guy that has been judged to be a backup by the coaches is not the answer. The Oline has been atrocious, replace the Oline with the second or third string guys and freshmen. The backs have whiffed on blocks, replace them with second and third string guys and freshmen. OKorn has missed reads on passes, replace him with a freshman. The receivers have dropped multiple passes that were right in their hands, replace them with...... According to this line of reasoning there is a whole first string team just waiting on the sideline for a chance to show how great they are. Really? Come on that is ludicrous. And hell yes, I would rather get wins vs MD, Rutgers, and Minn than losses just so Peters can get experience as a freshman.

Nobody's blaming just O'Korn for the losses. The topic of the thread is quarterbacks though so that's what we're discussing. Clearly the OLine has been a major issue, and the receivers aren't exactly helping either.

It's about value for me. There is no value in starting O'Korn to MAYBE get 1 or 2 more wins. I don't see how anyone can proclaim that as likely anyway given what we've seen.

Also isn't it entirely possible Peters can beat Rutgers, MD, and Minnesota while simultaneously gaining experience (so best of both worlds)? The two scenarios don't have to be mutually exclusive. I'm not just chalking those games up as auto losses if we make a QB change.

I'd be happy if he just gets some playing time against Rutgers to see where he is. If he doesn't look ready, then fine stick it out with O'Korn at that point.

None of us want that. However I am not really understanding how you think that is more likely to happen with Peters in rather than O'Korn who has just been dreadful. One of his key weaknesses is he freaks out at the slightest hint of pressure, and with our leaky OLine it's just a recipe for disaster.

Again O'Korn has lost two of his starts and did nothing in the one victory we barely got. So I am just as worried about losing the rest of our games with O'Korn as I would be with Peters. May as well let the kid get a shot.

And certainly it's not all O'Korn's fault especially what happened last night.

Well, he didn't throw any picks last night against PSU. That is one way that there could be a huge decline in the passing game. Reports from practice are that Peters makes huge mistakes more often...like throwing interceptions. I'd rather not see that.

Woh there, buddy. Im not insinuating that they arent good or that they are not being developed. Harbaugh is the one who says they're not ready. The next logical question is, "well why the fuck not?" Im talking both guys McCaffery or Peters. Both at one time were 5* quarterbacks, both at the Elite 11 competition for the best high school quarterbacks in the land. And im not cherry picking situations, im giving examples of teams with our pedigree. I can give more if youd like. Are all freshman(or rs freshman) that are starters doing well? No. But this is about the future going forward and beating our fucking rivals and competing for a playoff birth. We are supposed to have the quarterback whisperer. Well start whispering man cuz shit isnt looking very good at the moment. We are losing to our rivals on an every year basis and that is unacceptable when we recruit the way we do and spend the money on coaches this program does. No one wants Harbaugh(we know he has the it factor) gone, but he's going to have to start hurting some feelings soon, very soon. For godsakes OKorn and Speight cant even throw a 5yd out consistently without overthrowing or throwing it in the fucking dirt. We have issues. Could it be the secondary coaching(qb coach or OC)? Right now, who knows with the way plays have been called. My god, these coaches are calling 20-30yd pass plays when we need 6yds for a 1st down.

Don't know about that. I saw at least three 5 yard outs thrown right at receivers that dropped them last night...

Last edited:
Nobody's blaming just O'Korn for the losses. The topic of the thread is quarterbacks though so that's what we're discussing. Clearly the OLine has been a major issue, and the receivers aren't exactly helping either.

It's about value for me. There is no value in starting O'Korn to MAYBE get 1 or 2 more wins. I don't see how anyone can proclaim that as likely anyway given what we've seen.

Also isn't it entirely possible Peters can beat Rutgers, MD, and Minnesota while simultaneously gaining experience (so best of both worlds)? The two scenarios don't have to be mutually exclusive. I'm not just chalking those games up as auto losses if we make a QB change.

I'd be happy if he just gets some playing time against Rutgers to see where he is. If he doesn't look ready, then fine stick it out with O'Korn at that point.

Well, I have to disagree. I think there is value in getting 3 more wins with Okorn. I still think UW might be vulnerable, as well. Then you never know against OSU. I'd rather not see this team lose any game just to get Peters some reps. Harbaugh says that Peters is worse than Okorn. He sees them practice everyday, but you want to not believe him.

I do agree that I hope he sees some time vs Rutgers, not at the cost of losing to them, though. That would be a very big disappointment.

Back