Go Back   DetroitSportsForum > FYI > News & Announcements
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2013, 02:48 AM   #1
Admin   Admin is offline
Administrator
 
Admin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 117
Illegal Streaming Site Links - Please Read

Hey guys, just wanted to let you all know that we can't allow the posting of links of illegal streaming websites in the forum. I know it isn't done often, but we really need to wipe it out completely. I've received warnings from Google and our webhost.. they're really cracking down on stuff like this.

So please keep it off the forum and make sure nothing like this is posted in the future. Hope you all understand why.

Thanks guys, appreciate it!



Login or Register to Remove Ads
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:40 AM   #2
sggatecl   sggatecl is offline
Senior Member
 
sggatecl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Okemos, MI
Posts: 6,839
Are private messages ok??
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:52 PM   #3
Thumb   Thumb is offline
Senior Member
 
Thumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Thumb, duh!
Posts: 18,479
Can you define which are illegal?
__________________
"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:03 PM   #4
grandy   grandy is offline
Senior Member
 
grandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 9,178
My guess is anything labeled as "free".

I'm not entirely surprised that this is happening, I was going to mention something as soon as that stream thread went up, but I figured I would wait and see. As much as we all enjoy watching our teams when the local cable doesn't carry the game, posting links isn't exactly going to bring positive attention to this board. I, and I'm sure many others, would hate to see this place shut down.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:25 PM   #5
Thumb   Thumb is offline
Senior Member
 
Thumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Thumb, duh!
Posts: 18,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandy View Post
My guess is anything labeled as "free".

I'm not entirely surprised that this is happening, I was going to mention something as soon as that stream thread went up, but I figured I would wait and see. As much as we all enjoy watching our teams when the local cable doesn't carry the game, posting links isn't exactly going to bring positive attention to this board. I, and I'm sure many others, would hate to see this place shut down.

I can see if it's causing a problem for people or this site, obviously just remove the links. It was just the term 'illegal' that got me.

The law is still pretty iffy on what constitutes fair use and copyright infringement when it comes to the internet.
__________________
"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:07 PM   #6
grandy   grandy is offline
Senior Member
 
grandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 9,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumb View Post
I can see if it's causing a problem for people or this site, obviously just remove the links. It was just the term 'illegal' that got me.

The law is still pretty iffy on what constitutes fair use and copyright infringement when it comes to the internet.
I don't know the legality myself. I do know that such links weren't allowed back at ESPN and several of these streaming sites are constantly being shut down, having to pop up with a new domain. There's a good chance these wealthy, powerful organizations have a hand in this....and if Google blacklists you, that's pretty much it.

With that said, I'd like to call out the NFL on their bullshit broadcasting rules...

- Why is GamePass (NFL.com game streaming) not available in the US?
- If your local team is blacked out, you either have to go to the game or you aren't watching it
- Why is Sunday Ticket only available for DirectTV?

Simply put, if you don't live near your favorite team, don't have DirectTV, and you aren't lucky enough to have your local FOX or CBS affiliate broadcasting the game, the NFL is basically giving you the giant middle finger. You either have to go to a bar/restaurant, know somebody who has Sunday Ticket, or you have to use one of these streaming sites.


Back in college, I would've gladly paid a few bucks to watch the Lions live streaming on NFL.com, but I was stuck watching shitty streams that randomly cut out.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:51 PM   #7
Mitchrapp   Mitchrapp is online now
Moderator
 
Mitchrapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 37,719
Money talks, is the reason for Direct TV only having the package. It sucks too. I rather not have to pay $360 out of market for Detroit games.
__________________
Trying to sneak a pitch past Hank Aaron is like trying to sneak a sunrise past a Rooster -- Joe Adcock

What are we at the park for except to win? I'd trip my mother. I'd help her up, brush her off, tell her I'm sorry. But mother don't make it to third -- Leo Durocher

The NFL can kiss my ass!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:07 AM   #8
Thumb   Thumb is offline
Senior Member
 
Thumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Thumb, duh!
Posts: 18,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandy View Post
and several of these streaming sites are constantly being shut down, having to pop up with a new domain.
Well primewire.ag has changed domains a couple time in the last few years, but not from being shut down, they keep getting ghost hacked, a rival site will hack their server and redirect incoming queries to a page that looks (almost) the same saying the name is changed to [insert name] yet most of the link are broken. This is done I guess for the ad-counter revenues.

I think they mostly get away with streaming the content they do because it's free, if they tried to profit from it, (other than ad revenues) it would be shut down fast.
__________________
"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:13 AM   #9
Mitchrapp   Mitchrapp is online now
Moderator
 
Mitchrapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 37,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumb View Post
Well primewire.ag has changed domains a couple time in the last few years, but not from being shut down, they keep getting ghost hacked, a rival site will hack their server and redirect incoming queries to a page that looks (almost) the same saying the name is changed to [insert name] yet most of the link are broken. This is done I guess for the ad-counter revenues.

I think they mostly get away with streaming the content they do because it's free, if they tried to profit from it, (other than ad revenues) it would be shut down fast.
You can't get it free anywhere else. You either get it from cable or a dish which includes Direct TV. So for those people they're paying for it. I have no doubt the NFL cares about whether people are getting their product for free. There is a reason why stuff like that is no more on Justin TV.
__________________
Trying to sneak a pitch past Hank Aaron is like trying to sneak a sunrise past a Rooster -- Joe Adcock

What are we at the park for except to win? I'd trip my mother. I'd help her up, brush her off, tell her I'm sorry. But mother don't make it to third -- Leo Durocher

The NFL can kiss my ass!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:41 AM   #10
Thumb   Thumb is offline
Senior Member
 
Thumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Thumb, duh!
Posts: 18,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchrapp View Post
You can't get it free anywhere else. You either get it from cable or a dish which includes Direct TV. So for those people they're paying for it. I have no doubt the NFL cares about whether people are getting their product for free. There is a reason why stuff like that is no more on Justin TV.

Okay but I wasn't talking about the NFL or Directv or anything like that.
__________________
"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Top      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.