Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Confederate monuments

assuming those are reliable numbers, whites make up 62% of the population and commit 52% of hate crimes while blacks account for 13.3% but account for 24.3% of hate crimes, so one group is over represented in those stats while the other is under represented, you just have it backwards.

the claim was that it goes both ways, not who commits more hate crimes per person

that's the other thing white people do (not white people like me, more like Tom D, and James Woods): they conflate property crime with violence.

all our family stories about why various people fled Detroit for the suburbs are hilariously more smoke than fire. "the neighborhood got too dangerous" meant "someone broke into the garage one time when we weren't home and took our used lawnmower that was worth $10"

oop... better sell the house and run away like a scared rabbit. next time they might take the electric hedge clippers. and those cost $15 to replace

also, personal pet peeve: reading comments on news stories, it's crazy how many people believe deadly force & vigilantism is justified by property theft... some kids stole your bike or spray painted your garage? God damn, if only you had been there with your Glock...

I had my Garmin stolen out of my car this summer. It cost $299 to replace. I don't know where you shop...but I don't know where they sell $10 lawn mowers. If I had to replace my mower it would be about $500.

BTW...never thought about moving because somebody took my $300 Garmin.

the article i mentioned was about both: as a white you were safer in black neighborhoods from both. I also cited the hate crime study given the context of our discussion, when you claimed he wouldn't be safer in his old neighborhood because "hate goes both ways"

I didn't say he wouldn't be safe...I said he wouldn't be as welcome as he was back then

assuming those are reliable numbers, whites make up 62% of the population and commit 52% of hate crimes while blacks account for 13.3% but account for 24.3% of hate crimes, so one group is over represented in those stats while the other is under represented, you just have it backwards.

Uh-oh. Here we go again. "so one group is over represented in those stats while the other is under represented" Have I said what I would say in response to this enough times so that you can say it for me?

Uh-oh. Here we go again. "so one group is over represented in those stats while the other is under represented" Have I said what I would say in response to this enough times so that you can say it for me?

whatever you said, if your point is that a black person is at higher risk of being the victim of a hate crime from a white person than the reverse, you're wrong but go ahead and say it again anyway.

$3500 per month for a 2 BR? What does a house like that go for out there....$450K?

In Park Hill there is little inventory and it's a heavily sought after city neighborhood. If we listed our house today, and it's bigger than the rental, I'd list it for $575,000 or so and let the bidding war begin. I bet we'd get just north of $600,000 and it's 3BR/2BA 2400 sq ft. Ten years ago exactly we paid just under $300,000.

The realtor listing the rental got a ton of blowback from residents responding and comments like, "Jesus is this Denver or San Francisco?!"

It's happened rather suddenly here - past two years has been a relative hell in terms of the growth, traffic and idiots moving here.

In Park Hill there is little inventory and it's a heavily sought after city neighborhood. If we listed our house today, and it's bigger than the rental, I'd list it for $575,000 or so and let the bidding war begin. I bet we'd get just north of $600,000 and it's 3BR/2BA 2400 sq ft. Ten years ago exactly we paid just under $300,000.

The realtor listing the rental got a ton of blowback from residents responding and comments like, "Jesus is this Denver or San Francisco?!"

It's happened rather suddenly here - past two years has been a relative hell in terms of the growth, traffic and idiots moving here.

must be one of the benefits of the marijuana economy.

whatever you said, if your point is that a black person is at higher risk of being the victim of a hate crime from a white person than the reverse, you're wrong but go ahead and say it again anyway.

Crime statistics are mostly made of of poor people. Of the people in poverty in this country, 24% are black, 42% are white. Crime stats are far more in proportion when you consider wealth rather than assume it plays no role.

Crime statistics are mostly made of of poor people. Of the people in poverty in this country, 24% are black, 42% are white. Crime stats are far more in proportion when you consider wealth rather than assume it plays no role.

poor people defined as? and "mostly" equals what %?

more racist Confederate monuments - all of which were erected well after the Civil War during the Jim Crow era or during the 1960's fights against Civil Rights and integration - which belies the argument they are war graves and/or cultural symbols - coming down following the racial violence caused by neo-nazis and white supremacists in Charlottesville.

link, and cities across the South are pledging to remove them. Baltimore, New Orleans (in progress), Atlanta.

tear them all down, melt them into new liberty bells celebrating those who gave their lives to preserve our nation, eliminate the evil of slavery, and stamp out those who committed treason in defense of slavery.
Lets get a few things straight mich.

1. The civil war was not about freeing the slaves.
2. The confederate leaders were no different from the US founding fathers

You are aware all your precious founding fathers were treasonous slave owning scum?

LOL, glad he pushed your button.

Lets get a few things straight mich.

1. The civil war was not about freeing the slaves.
2. The confederate leaders were no different from the US founding fathers

You are aware all your precious founding fathers were treasonous slave owning scum?

nice trolling, Kowalski

Neither of my statements are false.

Also Killer Kowalski was not the Polish Hammer. PH was a proposed name for a different wrestler of Polish descent in same area.

Neither of my statements are false.

Also Killer Kowalski was not the Polish Hammer. PH was a proposed name for a different wrestler of Polish descent in same area.

Yes there are and if you think slavery didnt play a part in that war you are just flat out wrong period.

Never said slavery didn't play a part.

I said FREEING THE SLAVES WAS NOT THE REASON FOR THE WAR. There is a clear different.

WWII wasn't about Nazis for the US either. We were responding to an attack by the Japanese.

Also, King George III is just like Abe Lincoln, apparently.

Your data is on victims, not perpetrators. So assuming the relationship holds for perpetrators at the same rates, at best it indicates violent crimes by poor blacks and poor whites are proportional which of course still makes MC's point incorrect. Nevermind the fact that hate crimes are EXTREMELY rare - they account for less than 2% of all violent crimes and race only accounts for half of those crimes - 3,600 racially motivated crimes in a year.

Last edited:
Your data is on victims, not perpetrators. So assuming the relationship holds for perpetrators at the same rates, at best it indicates violent crimes by poor blacks and poor whites are proportional which of course still makes MC's point incorrect. Nevermind the fact that hate crimes are EXTREMELY rare - they account for less than 2% of all violent crimes and race only accounts for half of those crimes - 3,600 racially motivated crimes in a year.

Crap, I looked up the wrong stat with my 10 second search, but let's get to the point. Do you believe I am wrong?

I mean, why do we have to beat around the bush again?

Back