Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Jerry Lewis RIP

Rest in peace. I always liked his comedy and those telethons he used to do.

Jerry and Dean Martin hamming it up together again in an afterlife, perhaps.

I am old enough to remember when Jerry and Dean-o were a comedy team.
Funny pair, and my dad was able to get that pirated dirty comedy routine they did on reel to reel tape. Not Redd Foxx dirty but still dirty for that era.

The word back then about their falling out and breakup of their act allegedly had to do with their wives getting into it that 'her' husband was the better of the two.
Frank Sinatra was able to get the two of them back together years later.
I'm sure most all of us have seen Jerry Lewis' funny movies from the late 1950's and 1960's era.
Year after year he did that Muscular Dystrophy Telethon to help all the kids who suffered from that. RIP Jerry.

interesting.

I think I saw a couple of his movies when I was a kid (nutty professor one?)

I know he had a huge influence on comedy... I read an interview with him where he was pretty cranky*, so I looked up some of his routines to see what he was like in his prime. according to wikipedia The Simpsons based the character of Professor Frink on his routine.

*I stole the bit about gefloygle surgery from that. in response to Lewis' crankiness with the interviewer, someone posted "What do you expect from a guy who just had Gefloygle surgery?" Yiddish is the best comedy language.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Telethon was a staple in my single-digit years ... lost some appeal after that. But even then I knew that Jerry was holding back on the tally. Seems that every year there would be a huge leap in contributions in the last 15 minutes.

I remembered it as the signal summer was over. But I also remember watching some of it, and trying to get on one of the telecast in Vegas if I am remembering it right .

Last edited:
Back