Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Hurricane Harvey Relief

TheVictors

So a funny thing happened on Twitter last night ... A friend of a friend who owns a Denver area sports bar is trying to raise money and collect donations (blankets, clothing, water) to fill a truck to send to Houston. My buddy called out long time Denver Post writer and ESPN guy, Woody Paige. Paige was rather outspoken after Katrina and was known to have housed refugees and been a face for fundraising, etc.

So last night I replied to that Tweet and said I would match whatever Woody donated and woke up this morning to a challenge from him ...match his $1000.

So, with the same integrity as witnessed when TStupid showed none, I did.

Red Cross: https://www.redcross.org/donate/hurricane-harvey?campname=Harvey&campmedium=aspot

JJ Watt fundraiser: https://www.youcaring.com/victimsofhurricaneharvey-915053

Attachments

• RCHarveyRcpt.jpg
    RCHarveyRcpt.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 13
So a funny thing happened on Twitter last night ... A friend of a friend who owns a Denver area sports bar is trying to raise money and collect donations (blankets, clothing, water) to fill a truck to send to Houston. My buddy called out long time Denver Post writer and ESPN guy, Woody Paige. Paige was rather outspoken after Katrina and was known to have housed refugees and been a face for fundraising, etc.

So last night I replied to that Tweet and said I would match whatever Woody donated and woke up this morning to a challenge from him ...match his $1000.

So, with the same integrity as witnessed when TStupid showed none, I did.

Red Cross: https://www.redcross.org/donate/hurricane-harvey?campname=Harvey&campmedium=aspot

JJ Watt fundraiser: https://www.youcaring.com/victimsofhurricaneharvey-915053

well done!

I will let my tax dollars take care of them

My employer will match dollar/dollar and the way 2017 is going, I'd rather folks in Houston have the money versus the IRS

You're a much better man than Joel Osteen, though that's a really low bar. Good on you Victors.

Last edited:
Thats very commendable of you, Vic...I could do likewise, if my sister, who is executor of our late parents' estate, and in charge of my ~$170K trust-fund, would loosen her grip on it. She is very wealthy by marriage, while my long unemployed wife and I have been living near the poverty level (since '05) upon my small fixed income from disabilty (for another year and a quarter), after which it will more than double by pensions from retirement.

But in the meantime, all she will pay from the trust are our utility bills, and auto insurance. This b/c in her words, she wants to make it last for "the rest of my life"...lol..I am almost 61, ill, and would truly be surprised if I was still alive a decade from now. And the fact being that when I reach age 62, I won't need very much from the trust as I really do now. It would be nice if I could buy some new clothes, socks, shoes and an insulated winter coat for the first time in a decade, and replace or upgrade our 14 year old SUV that badly needs new tires. electrical work done, as both the driver and passenger seat windows are not functioning, the hoses, belts and fluids need to be replaced before next winter, and maybe the A/C repaired (although fall is now just around the corner. I also need some major dental work done, which includes oral surgery b/c of a couple of broken molars. Been putting it off b/c its so damn expensive.

But...after seeing the people in SE Texas lose most, if not all of their possessions from the cat 4 hurricane, I can empathize and relate somewhat to their devastated lives, both financially and physically ruined for who knows how long, maybe forever for many. Due to climate change, (which most deny exists) the South, SW, and EC could experience more and stronger/longer-lasting hurricanes in the near future.

Last edited:
Thats very commendable of you, Vic...I could do likewise, if my sister, who is executor of our late parents' estate, and in charge of my ~$170K trust-fund, would loosen her grip on it. She is very wealthy by marriage, while my long unemployed wife and I have been living near the poverty level (since '05) upon my small fixed income from disabilty (for another year and a quarter), after which it will more than double by pensions from retirement. But in the meantime, all she will pay from the trust are our utility bills, and auto insurance. This b/c in her words, she wants to make it last for "the rest of my life"...lol..I am almost 61, ill, and would truly be surprised if I was still alive a decade from now. And the fact being that when I reach age 62, I won't need very much from the trust as I really do now. It would be nice if I could buy some new clothes, socks, shoes and an insulated winter coat for the first time in a decade, and replace or upgrade our 14 year old SUV that badly needs new tires. electrical work done, as both the driver and passenger seat windows are not functioning, the hoses, belts and fluids need to be replaced before next winter, and maybe the A/C repaired (although fall is now just around the corner. I also need some major dental work done, which includes oral surgery b/c of a couple of broken molars. Been putting it off b/c its so damn expensive. But...after seeing the people in SE Texas lose most, if not all of their possessions from the cat 4 hurricane, I can empathize and relate somewhat to their devastated lives, both financially and physically ruined for who knows how long, maybe forever for many. Due to climate change, (which most deny exists) the South, SW, and EC could experience more and stronger/longer-lasting hurricanes in the near future.

Can't you sue her to pay for the stuff needed like work on your teeth ? Sounds like she is a mizer. I mean if it is medically necessary seems like you could force her hand .

Last edited:
I can't afford to pay a retainer, if I try to hire a civil attorney...unless I skipped paying our rent. But she has been blowing me off more lately, and won't talk on the phone with me, I have to text her. She is just like our late mother was, except for her noveau-riche princess lifestyle.

Last edited:
Thats very commendable of you, Vic...I could do likewise, if my sister, who is executor of our late parents' estate, and in charge of my ~$170K trust-fund, would loosen her grip on it. She is very wealthy by marriage, while my long unemployed wife and I have been living near the poverty level (since '05) upon my small fixed income from disabilty (for another year and a quarter), after which it will more than double by pensions from retirement.

But in the meantime, all she will pay from the trust are our utility bills, and auto insurance. This b/c in her words, she wants to make it last for "the rest of my life"...lol..I am almost 61, ill, and would truly be surprised if I was still alive a decade from now. And the fact being that when I reach age 62, I won't need very much from the trust as I really do now. It would be nice if I could buy some new clothes, socks, shoes and an insulated winter coat for the first time in a decade, and replace or upgrade our 14 year old SUV that badly needs new tires. electrical work done, as both the driver and passenger seat windows are not functioning, the hoses, belts and fluids need to be replaced before next winter, and maybe the A/C repaired (although fall is now just around the corner. I also need some major dental work done, which includes oral surgery b/c of a couple of broken molars. Been putting it off b/c its so damn expensive.

But...after seeing the people in SE Texas lose most, if not all of their possessions from the cat 4 hurricane, I can empathize and relate somewhat to their devastated lives, both financially and physically ruined for who knows how long, maybe forever for many. Due to climate change, (which most deny exists) the South, SW, and EC could experience more and stronger/longer-lasting hurricanes in the near future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlL3y3j8ofc

just got home. we made it through the first couple days okay, but Monday afternoon things got dicey and we decided to evacuate to San Antonio.

just got home... our house never flooded and the power stayed on, yay.

will donate all the water and non-perishables we stocked up on at one of the local shelters.

holy shit, I will never take a natural disaster lightly again.

just got home. we made it through the first couple days okay, but Monday afternoon things got dicey and we decided to evacuate to San Antonio.

will donate all the water and non-perishables we stocked up on at one of the local shelters.

Damn, I swear to God, that I thought of you and your family first thing after the first reports came in. Atheist or no, I prayed to "the fairy in the sky" for your family's safety.

Not making a religious statement, just happy you and your family remained safe.

Take care Michchamp and stay safe. Need all the Michigan fans we can get.

glad to hear everything is OK with you and your family

Holy crap MC.. sorry I forgot you were down there . Be safe !! Stay safe !!! Move back to michigan !!!

You're a much better man than Joel Osteen, though that's a really low bar. Good on you Victors.

that story was funny. his church is fucking huge, and sits right off the freeway & off ramp in midtown. on Sundays there is a heavy police presence there directing traffic.

there is no better poster boy for taxing religious institutions than him.

I saw people called him out for his church's BS claim people should avoid it due to "flooding" but I never saw what his response was.

that story was funny. his church is fucking huge, and sits right off the freeway & off ramp in midtown. on Sundays there is a heavy police presence there directing traffic.

there is no better poster boy for taxing religious institutions than him.

I saw people called him out for his church's BS claim people should avoid it due to "flooding" but I never saw what his response was.

Joel Osteen and Joyce Meyer are not leaders of "religious institutions."

Back