Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Man, Bernie Sanders is so great

It's not even close to the best in the world. To even suggest that just shows a massive lack of understanding what is happening in the country.

The best. By far. Not only in the western world - in the entire world. All your rankings put the bulk of weighting on the level of socialization of healthcare. None of those countries can come close to what the US has contributed to modern medicine. To suggest otherwise just shows a massive degree of ignorance and a huge bias to leftist ideology.

The best. By far. Not only in the western world - in the entire world. All your rankings put the bulk of weighting on the level of socialization of healthcare. None of those countries can come close to what the US has contributed to modern medicine. To suggest otherwise just shows a massive degree of ignorance and a huge bias to leftist ideology.

you seem to be confusing "historical contributions to the field of medicine" with "the quality of healthcare people receive." and note "people" HAS to mean all people not just the billionaires you worship. as pointed out by others, you don't need to worry about them under Bernie's plan; they can easily afford to buy their own care.

on the point about the quality of care we as a nation receive, by just about every measure we use: life expectancy, infant mortality, cost of care, etc. the US now lags behind all the countries that have more socialized, widely available medical care. we're like number 13.

hell, for a long time Americans were among the tallest in the world (another sign of good health and nutrition). that's no longer true.

I think it all depends on what you define as "the best".

Quality of doctors? Availability to the 'average Joe'?

It's a pretty subjective ranking. I think you'll find that people with healthy finances think it's the best. People that struggle around the poverty line likely disagree.

you seem to be confusing "historical contributions to the field of medicine" with "the quality of healthcare people receive." and note "people" HAS to mean all people not just the billionaires you worship. as pointed out by others, you don't need to worry about them under Bernie's plan; they can easily afford to buy their own care.

on the point about the quality of care we as a nation receive, by just about every measure we use: life expectancy, infant mortality, cost of care, etc. the US now lags behind all the countries that have more socialized, widely available medical care. we're like number 13.

hell, for a long time Americans were among the tallest in the world (another sign of good health and nutrition). that's no longer true.

First of all, I don't worship any terrestrial beings let alone billionaires and since you seem to be unaware, you don't have to be a billionaire to have health insurance - I have great insurance and I'm not even close to a billionaire. Second, no, you seem to be confusing quality of healthcare available with who gets what for free. If I get sick, there's no country I'd rather be than the United States. Things like life expectancy have more to do with lifestyle than they do with the quality of care. Americans aren't fatter and more unhealthy than other countries because our healthcare isn't as good as theirs. The main reason we lag behind in cost is because we're footing the bill for research and development of medical technology, care and drug development. Just like with national security, the world is taking a free ride off of our investments of money and effort. It also doesn't help that your profession, with perhaps the most powerful lobby in the country, has helped drive costs through the roof. Funny, you never seem to complain about the egregious power of that particular lobbying group.

Edit: Also, what exactly are you trying to say about the average height of Americans? the article you linked doesn't make the claims you seem to be making - it doesn't even have data on the US and only mentions the US once, in a single sentence without drawing any such conclusions.

Last edited:
Correction: OK, now I see that we're lumped in with "Western Offshoots" which include Australia, New Zealand and Canada. Did you happen to notice anything peculiar about that table? We start out taller than everyone, grow pretty much as fast as everyone until the late 1800s where we actually regress in height. This coincides with massive immigration waive from less tall parts of the world like Asia and even Western Europe. And then from there, we grow as fast or faster than everyone else again up through the end of the data sample.

So there goes that theory.

Last edited:
I think it all depends on what you define as "the best".

Quality of doctors? Availability to the 'average Joe'?

It's a pretty subjective ranking. I think you'll find that people with healthy finances think it's the best. People that struggle around the poverty line likely disagree.

Well this country has long had fairly available healthcare access for poor and elderly through Medicaid and Medicare.

I don't know how it compares to the access of countries with full on socialized medicine.

Correction: OK, now I see that we're lumped in with "Western Offshoots" which include Australia, New Zealand and Canada. Did you happen to notice anything peculiar about that table? We start out taller than everyone, grow pretty much as fast as everyone until the late 1800s where we actually regress in height. This coincides with massive immigration waive from less tall parts of the world like Asia and even Western Europe. And then from there, we grow as fast or faster than everyone else again up through the end of the data sample.

So there goes that theory.

Mexicans and other Latin Americans are pretty short too.

The men need to be to fit more easily underneath cars and the women need to be to be able to clean underneath furniture more easily.

It's kind of a Darwinian natural selection thing.

Oh and it's better for both genders to be closer to the ground to be able to more easily pick crops.

Last edited:
Mexicans and other Latin Americans are pretty short too.

The men need to be to fit more easily underneath cars and the women need to be to be able to clean underneath furniture more easily.

It's kind of a Darwinian natural selection thing.

Oh and it's better for both genders to be closer to the ground to be able to more easily pick crops.

good point, so when you factor in the fact that a quarter of Mexico's much shorter than average population has migrated to the US in the last half century or so and you see that we're still growing at least as fast as the rest of the world, then clearly it appears the opposite of what MC claims is happening is actually happening. I wonder if that will change his mind about our health system's world ranking.

I don't know about the rest of your theory - my mechanic is a middle aged white guy and we clean our own house (and I mow my own lawn - no advantage to being short when mowing lawns, I just like mentioning it every chance I get).

Last edited:
I don't know about the rest of your theory - my mechanic is a middle aged white guy and we clean our own house (and I mow my own lawn - no advantage to being short when mowing lawns, I just like mentioning it every chance I get).

Here in Hollywood, everyone's mechanic is Mexican or Latin American. Everyone has a cleaning lady and she is also Mexican or Latin American.

Here in Hollywood, everyone's mechanic is Mexican or Latin American. Everyone has a cleaning lady and she is also Mexican or Latin American.

We've had cleaning services a few times and they all seem to be eastern European, but not hot eastern European. My buddy in NYC used to have a maid once or twice a month. About a year into it he was feeling a little hard up and propositioned her for a hand job. From then on she was his made/hand job hooker.

You know Jerry?

Never saw that one - pretty funny. I never saw most of them actually - I was never very good at keeping a schedule for TV shows. I can watch more shows now with On Demand and when I had a DVR. In the middle of season 2 of Mad Men now.

I'm just waiting for Trump to introduce his amazing, truly amazing ...believe me, it will be amazing, just you see ...healthcare plan.

And P.S. - Insurance companies can suck the big dong, motherfuckers.

if you think insurance companies are bad, wait until gov't bureaucracy gets its hands on health care.

Back