Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Y?all need to chill.

Gary is a beast, but losing Hurst, Mone AND Winovich is gonna be tough to overcome.

Not really, the defensive line class we just pulled was impressive with Solomon and Luiji and a host of others.

Last edited:
You guys started 4 sr's on offense(Cole, Kugler, O'Korn, Poggi/Hill). That's not even counting Bunting who's technically listed as a starter as well.

You also started 4 sr's on defense(Hurst, Mone, Winovich and McCray). That's 3/4 of your best unit there.

MSU Starts Allen on offense and Frey(lol) on defense.

You?re correct in the fact that we do have a small group of players who are very experienced as well. Our roster lacks the middle experience. We have a handful of guys who have a lot, and the rest had almost none.

This seems like a pointless argument to me. One team played better than the other period.

This seems like a pointless argument to me. One team played better than the other period.

Agreed, wasn?t really the point I was going for anyways. I wasn?t comparing anyone?s futures. I was solely focused on our team and it?s outlook. Could give two shits about State.

Redshirt sophomores are third year players homie. They can leave for the nfl after seasons end. I wouldn?t call that youth.

True Freshman Laress Nelson actually started yesterday too.

Youngest team MSU has had under Dantonio and started 3 true freshmen on the road at night and won against a supposed top 10 team. If UM doesn't find a QB you guys aren't doing jack shit.

For instance we have only 4 starters with three years in college football. You have 10.

Counting is not strong with this one.

O'Korn, Kugler, Cole, Hurst, Winovich, McCray, Perry, Hill, Furbush, and Kinnell all started last night and all are juniors or seniors in eligibility. That's 10. Carry on though, your excuses are what defines your program, your coach, and your fan base.

Last edited:
Counting is not strong with this one.

O'Korn, Kugler, Cole, Hurst, Winovich, McCray, Perry, Hill, Furbush, and Kinnell all started last night and all are juniors or seniors in eligibility. That's 10. Carry on though, your excuses are what defines your program, your coach, and your fan base.

I said third year players. Maybe you should learn to read. You named a bunch of 4th year players instead.

Losing Newsome to injury last season has really set the offensive line back. Cole had to switch postions because of it.

So sick of the excuses. State fans have earned the right to talk trash. So sick of hearing " next year is our year". People have been saying this crap forever. Jh can't win the big games. Period. He needs to spend less time jumping in swimming pools and doing family podcasts and more time actually preparing for the games.

So sick of the excuses. State fans have earned the right to talk trash. So sick of hearing " next year is our year". People have been saying this crap forever. Jh can't win the big games. Period. He needs to spend less time jumping in swimming pools and doing family podcasts and more time actually preparing for the games.

Probably but as you know all we have is the next game and next year and it is only year 3 of a major Rebuilding project . But yeah I get it and your right to be pissed.

Probably but as you know all we have is the next game and next year and it is only year 3 of a major Rebuilding project . But yeah I get it and your right to be pissed.

Major rebuilding project? You guys just had 11(9 in the first 4 rounds) guys drafted in this past draft. He was left a ton of talent.

Gary is a beast, but losing Hurst, Mone AND Winovich is gonna be tough to overcome.

It would be, but I doubt it will happen. Mone and Winovich are both RS Juniors. I guess Winovich might have the numbers to back up a jump to the NFL, but he's going to be viewed as a tweener and I get the impression he enjoys college.

It would be, but I doubt it will happen. Mone and Winovich are both RS Juniors. I guess Winovich might have the numbers to back up a jump to the NFL, but he's going to be viewed as a tweener and I get the impression he enjoys college.

Oops! DR dropping some knowledge.

Michigan will have to replace on D-Lineman. I think they'll be able to manage that. The D will be fine under Brown.

Offense next year? Well...

I understand the frustration. I live in Toledo, i have to wake up every day and hear from my family or my best friends about Ohio State. But if I were to give you a year that I wasn’t going to be confident in, it would be this one. With all the starters we lost, with being ranked 120th out of 120 college football teams in returning starting experience, not to mention that but the starters replacing them are about as green as can be. We have redshirt freshman ALLL over the place, especially on offense. That is not a recipe for success. Yes, I understand Ohio State had a decent year last year in a similar scenario. But that doesn’t mean it’s a situation most coaches would like to be in. I would say 99% of the time you won’t find success with a roster this young. Going into this season I truly felt next season would be the first true Harbaugh team with starting experience across the board. We will have our first Harbaugh quarterback, our receivers will actually have some experience and season, the defense will be back! I know Hurst and Mone will be gone, but we have some super young talent behind them as well. This year sucks, I hate that we have to be even more patient. But I’m almost 100% positive come next year, this year will have been worth it. (Unless Harbaugh just leaves).

I'm chilled out now. Always wait 24 hours before running to the internet after such an embarrassing situation.

I see some flaws with your post, though. I don't want to join the Debbies, but like has already been said, yes, this is a young team that lost a ton of starters everywhere last year. 1 returning guy on d. That unit looks great, though. 4 returning guys on O. That's it and that is if you count fullback, which is like, big deal. Really, you have Speight (questionable at best) and 2 returning lineman, one of which is still very young in Bredeson. To think the O would come in and light up the NCAA is a little pushing it, but I never thought they'd be this bad.

Meanwhile, MSU is fielding just as many new players on O and they are all ranked lower on the charts as far as recruiting rankings. Let's face it, Michigan just got completely outcoached on the offensive side of the ball saturday night and it wasn't even close. I don't want to hear about how MSU didn't do anything the 2nd half. They didn't try and didn't have to. They were completely comfortable going 3 and out, punting, and waiting for Michigan to screw up. They had the lead. Michigan was running offtackle for 6 yards a carry, but then they'd dial up a downfield passing play in the middle of a monsoon for no reason whatsoever and either catch a holding call, get the QB sacked, or throw a pick. Like i said, the D is great thanks to Brown, but the O is horrible...playcalling, o-line, running backs, wide receivers dropping balls, and QB play, horrible across the board.

You say that next year Michigan will be playing a "Harbaugh QB." Why would you ever say that? Unless you think Speight's career is over. There will be another QB battle next spring and fall and another meritocracy blah blah blah and then we'll see Speight run out there again. Yay!

Next year is next year and there will be no guarantee of anything. Michigan will have Speight out there again. Michigan gets to travel to ND, MSU, and OSU...is that a recipe for success?

Don't worry, though, because we'll all finally get to see what we want in year 5...yep, 2019 will be the year!! After all, Hoke says it takes 5 years to build a program, right?

Last edited:
Maybe.
But who knows those games have not been played yet , and with that offense you dispayed yesterday espically in the second half you better hope your boat dosnt get rowed next week in Minnesota. Looks like both teams will have 3 or 4 losses this season with those offenses displayed yesterday . Jim will get it right and I bet you right here and now Jim wins a national title before Mark does. Heck he has 10 years on him in age!!!!

Again I stand by being 1-4 sucks verses the rivals but 3 of those 4 losses were very winnable of you don't have Homer glasses on. It sucks now but if I have to endure that for a national title in a few years I will. Jim needs to fix his offense badly though. Same old turnovers killed us yet again.

the entire 3rd quarter was played in heavy downpour, we were also going into strong winds AND started several of our drives in horrible field position with a 2 score lead. Not too hard to figure out we were going to be running the ball. We may not have gotten any first downs in the 3rd quarter and only one (or was it 2) in the 4th but that had a lot more to do with the weather (also the clock and the score) than it did with any adjustments uofm's D made at halftime. Our OC sucks and needs to go but I'd take 3-and-outs, trying to flip the field and pitting our D against your O in those conditions over a rash of interceptions any day of the week.

Last edited:
Turnovers were the difference and turnovers are just luck. Y’all need to chill.

Pretty sure this has been talked about plenty, but I'll google something if you don't know what I'm talking about.

https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2014/1/24/5337968/college-football-five-factors

That's not true. 2 of those turnovers were forced by good plays from players going for the ball. That's not luck. And the interceptions were due to a moron calling pass plays in pouring rain. That's not luck either, particularly the second Dowell pick - that was a bad throw but still a nice, tough catch by dowell.

Last edited:
Back