Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Freshmen Quarterbacks

wlvrnstlr4life

https://247sports.com/Season/2016-Football/RecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=highschool&Position=PRO

https://247sports.com/Season/2016-Football/RecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=highschool&Position=DUAL

https://247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/RecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=highschool&Position=PRO

These are lists from the past 2 classes. I did not put the 2017 top dual threat qb liston here because there is no one playing on that list as of right now that I know of. If you look at these familiar names you really have to ask the question, why the fuck can we not have freshman/rs freshman qb worthy of starting? We are supposed to have thee quarterback guru and yet our freshman quarterbacks are behind the curve somehow.

WTF?

Last edited:
If there was a competent qb on any of those teams, the freshman probably wouldn't be playing. Experience is always valued at that position.

the panicked "bench guys until we win" mentality reminds me of the RichRod years.

If there was a competent qb on any of those teams, the freshman probably wouldn't be playing. Experience is always valued at that position.

Have no idea what this means because it makes no sense. The most competent qb usually plays no matter what year he is. Whats funny if there is a team who we are closest to in recruiting, its Georgia. And they arent resorting to suckiness. Jake Fromm (Freshman) replaced a Sophomore(Eason) because of injury. Havent missed a beat and are probably better. McCaffery was in the Elite 11 along with Fromm and Peters was at the event with Eason. Are those guys that much better than ours or did they just get better coaching?

Have no idea what this means because it makes no sense. The most competent qb usually plays no matter what year he is. Whats funny if there is a team who we are closest to in recruiting, its Georgia. And they arent resorting to suckiness. Jake Fromm (Freshman) replaced a Sophomore(Eason) because of injury. Havent missed a beat and are probably better. McCaffery was in the Elite 11 along with Fromm and Peters was at the event with Eason. Are those guys that much better than ours or did they just get better coaching?

Is Jake Fromm operating with young, inexperienced WR? Is Jake Fromm operating with little production from the running game? Is Jake Fromm behind an o-line that sucks? I'm not making any excuse for Michigan or for obvious mistakes by the QB. I am seriously wondering if the two situations are identical? I doubt they are.

Is Jake Fromm operating with young, inexperienced WR? Is Jake Fromm operating with little production from the running game? Is Jake Fromm behind an o-line that sucks? I'm not making any excuse for Michigan or for obvious mistakes by the QB. I am seriously wondering if the two situations are identical? I doubt they are.

Either way, a broom could replace O'Korn at this point. The offense was so dumbed down against IU and he still had no idea how to go through progressions. That was with only two guys running routes. He couldn't figure out how to progress through that complexity. Completely baffling.

the ability to play quarterback well is genetic, and not only genetic, but linked to a single gene, the "Quarteback Gene." you either have it or you don't. experience? grooming? practice? these things matter not at all.

as a coach, just keep benching guys until you find one that can go 20-24, for 400 yards, 4 TDs and 0 INTs. maybe that guy is a 4th string walkon safety, but if he has the QB gene, just plug him in at QB, no coaching needed.

and if your current coach can't or won't bench guys until one works out, immediately fire him and his entire staff - midseason if need be - and just randomly hire new guys.

you guys agree? I bet you do.

the ability to play quarterback well is genetic, and not only genetic, but linked to a single gene, the "Quarteback Gene." you either have it or you don't. experience? grooming? practice? these things matter not at all.

as a coach, just keep benching guys until you find one that can go 20-24, for 400 yards, 4 TDs and 0 INTs. maybe that guy is a 4th string walkon safety, but if he has the QB gene, just plug him in at QB, no coaching needed.

and if your current coach can't or won't bench guys until one works out, immediately fire him and his entire staff - midseason if need be - and just randomly hire new guys.

you guys agree? I bet you do.

Not at all. Do you think Brandon Peters doesn't have the ability to make two reads max per play? That's all the staff is asking O'Korn to do and he can't do it.

Not at all. Do you think Brandon Peters doesn't have the ability to make two reads max per play? That's all the staff is asking O'Korn to do and he can't do it.

ah, so you're saying Peters has the quarterback gene, but O'Korn doesn't?

ah, so you're saying Peters has the quarterback gene, but O'Korn doesn't?

Nope. I'm saying it's excruciatingly clear that O'Korn is not any good. He can't even throw for 60 yards against IU. Twice. His performance against Purdue can be summed up perfectly by Sidney Deane: "Because Billy Hoyle, even the sun shines on a dog's ass some days."

When your QB is a 5th year senior and you're forced to run a high school passing offense with him, there's no harm in starting the promising RS freshman. I'm willing to bet Peters can turn around and hand the ball off. Hell, he may even be able to throw for 65 yards! Maybe 70!

John O'Korn as a starter for Michigan:

2016 vs IU - 7/16, 59 yds, 0 TDs, 0 INTs
2017 vs MSU - 16/35, 198 yds, 0 TDs, 3 INTs
2017 vs IU - 10/20, 58 yds, 0 TDs, 0 INTs

Totals - 33/71, 315 yds, 0 TDs, 3 INTs

No fan in their right mind should want a QB like this to continue starting. He has produced 0 TDs in his starts. He averages 105 yards passing per game, which is awful. He completes 46% of his passes. Basically, these stats equal out to being the worst starting QB in the country. We might as well be starting an actual wolverine at QB.

Last edited:
Well we know he can throw long he missed a wide open jones in the indiana game that was over 50 or 6o yards. I mean he did fine in the Purdue game so I just don't know what the issue is because he is missing easy reads all over the field sadly. If we have just a above averge qb we do not lose the msu game. I am just worried that this staff is struggling right now in developing a qb and what's going to happen if Peters or McCaffrey fail ? We may start to lose out on guys in recruiting.

Last edited:

These are totally valid points. At the end of the day, though, you are still asking the young guns to go out and win a Conference and National Championship. You are not tightening your butt cheeks together just hoping the 5th yr guy goes out and doesn't make mistakes. The best guy is playing. And again, this isn't just one team. Hurts was a RS Freshman last year that beat out a bunch of 5* Juniors. And I didnt want to bring this up, but OSU has been playing Freshman at QB for quite some time now. They werent afraid to start Pryor, Miller, or Barrett. Those guys got it done when the Seniors were shitting the bed.

Dylan McCaffrey is a stud QB recruit and will be the next big UM QB, and first true "Harbaugh QB" since coming to A2.

That O'Korn is still playing is concerning in that it illustrates that the younger QBs are not able, even with O'Korn's sub-standard play, to win the job. Leach was starting by game three (as memory recalls). Henne took the job from Gutierrez in the spring. Denard quickly unseated Forcier. It's not the exception that this occurs, and, where it seems to need to happen most and right now, it isn't.

Last edited:
during the season, there's only so much practice time in the week though. deciding to give the lion's share of reps to a guy who might not be ready, and is young and untested, is a gamble.

but maybe it's not, and he should just bench a guy and say "maturity, temperament, leadership, team chemistry, and experience be damned."

during the season, there's only so much practice time in the week though. deciding to give the lion's share of reps to a guy who might not be ready, and is young and untested, is a gamble.

but maybe it's not, and he should just bench a guy and say "maturity, temperament, leadership, team chemistry, and experience be damned."
I understand where you are coming from, but if O'Korn is awful again tomorrow then it's time for a change. Let Peters start against Rutgers. He needs the experience and we won't be playing for a Big 10 championship anyway.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

That O'Korn is still playing is concerning in that it illustrates that the younger QBs are not able, even with O'Korn's sub-standard play, to win the job. Leach was starting by game three (as memory recalls). Henne took the job from Gutierrez in the spring. Denard quickly unseated Forcier. It's not the exception that this occurs, and, where it seems to need to happen most and right now, it isn't.

Matt Guttierez tore his labrum 3 days before the opening game. He was pegged to be the starter right up until that point. Lloyd did say that Henne was coming on, though.

Back