Go Back   DetroitSportsForum > Sports > Detroit Pistons > NBA General Board
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2016, 12:58 PM   #21
everyoneneedsasmil   everyoneneedsasmil is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdalton22 View Post
How would your lineup do vs.

PG Paul
SG Harden
SF KD
C Cousins
FP A Davis
It would come down to a battle of the boards. My lineup has better shooters, plus overall better defenders. Could Cousins stay disciplined all game, and would he even bother defending Green on the perimeter? That matchup would breakdown your lineup's defense pretty easily. Not to mention, my lineup would pull a bunch of Butler-Green PnRs to pull the slow-footed Cousins and disinterested Harden into every defensive possession.

Again, though, rebounds would be a factor. KD-Davis-Cousins are all elite rebounders for their position. Green and Lebron would have a heck of a time keeping your frontcourt off the boards.

All said and done, talent and two-play would win out. There would be some minutes where the offensive rebounding tilts the game in your lineup's favor. But, by the end, my lineup is too sound defensively, too good from deep, and has too many passers. You can't hide a defender like Harden on anybody, and on the other end Cousins high usage/middling efficiency game would be a double edged sword - wanting to see him pound the ball inside, but concerned it burns low-reward possessions.



Login or Register to Remove Ads
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:17 PM   #22
zoombabyzoom   zoombabyzoom is offline
Senior Member
 
zoombabyzoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Right Behind You
Posts: 2,774
Now LeBron trying to get Wade, they are in talks now.

Also, GSW are looking into bringing Ray Allen out of retirement.

Trash ass league. Just cut 20+ teams from the league and be done with it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:25 PM   #23
tomdalton22   tomdalton22 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 15,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombabyzoom View Post
Now LeBron trying to get Wade, they are in talks now.

Also, GSW are looking into bringing Ray Allen out of retirement.

Trash ass league. Just cut 20+ teams from the league and be done with it.
they have to have someone to play!

I can see both sides. From the side of a fan of the 25 teams that have no chance to win the title it sucks. From the free agent player side of it, like Lebron, KD, Etc...why not go to a team that gives you a great chance to win?

I don't think a Piston fan would be upset if KD and Lebron came here.

Last edited by tomdalton22; 07-05-2016 at 03:25 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:35 PM   #24
tomdalton22   tomdalton22 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 15,021
I really can't think of a better starting 5 in NBA history.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 04:42 PM   #25
SpartyNash   SpartyNash is offline
Senior Member
 
SpartyNash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Downriver
Posts: 2,670
I think the NBA might be the most fair weather sport of all time for fans. At least hockey, football, and baseball there's a chance of numerous teams winning or competing for a title. There is literally zero chance of anybody outside of about 3 teams of winning it all. As a Pistons fan you all have no reason to watch, and as a Suns fan I can say the same. Warriors, Cavs and Spurs are the only teams that have a shot. It sucks for fans and hurts the sport. When your team is a top 5 team it's worth watching, otherwise I tune it out for the most part.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 04:49 PM   #26
tomdalton22   tomdalton22 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 15,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartyNash View Post
I think the NBA might be the most fair weather sport of all time for fans. At least hockey, football, and baseball there's a chance of numerous teams winning or competing for a title. There is literally zero chance of anybody outside of about 3 teams of winning it all. As a Pistons fan you all have no reason to watch, and as a Suns fan I can say the same. Warriors, Cavs and Spurs are the only teams that have a shot. It sucks for fans and hurts the sport. When your team is a top 5 team it's worth watching, otherwise I tune it out for the most part.
If you have 2 or 3 great players on a basketball team you have a chance to win every game. Other sports depend on more players so 1- 3 can't make that big of a difference.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 04:55 PM   #27
SpartyNash   SpartyNash is offline
Senior Member
 
SpartyNash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Downriver
Posts: 2,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdalton22 View Post
If you have 2 or 3 great players on a basketball team you have a chance to win every game. Other sports depend on more players so 1- 3 can't make that big of a difference.
Exactly, that's why I think basketball is more susceptible to top heavy teams than other pro sports.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:25 PM   #28
SoCalLions   SoCalLions is offline
Senior Member
 
SoCalLions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 373
I don't blame the players for teaming up and the ratings don't really suffer when super teams are created. If anything, they generate more interest in the league for whatever reason. The league has always been 3-5 teams with a realistic shot of winning the title since it's been around. Before free agency actively used, it was dumb and cash strapped ownership groups making ridiculous deals which allowed teams like the Celtics and Lakers to build super teams through the draft with multiple top 5 picks over a short time span. I do think the league should implement a franchise tag rule if they're committed to leveling the playing field. To make it even more lopsided financially for the player so there are less complaints with a franchise tag rule, the franchised player should earn 35% of the cap immediately instead of having to wait for 10 years of service in the league when they're likely passing their prime and aren't worth that money in the last years of the contract. Heck, even 40% of the cap. To also stop the players who are willing to leave a ton of money on the table to team up, implement a rule that says if you have won the MVP in the past 5 seasons, you cannot join another team in free agency that has an MVP in the past 5 seasons. Same rule applies if you made two All-NBA teams in the past 5 seasons.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:16 PM   #29
tomdalton22   tomdalton22 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 15,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalLions View Post
I don't blame the players for teaming up and the ratings don't really suffer when super teams are created. If anything, they generate more interest in the league for whatever reason. The league has always been 3-5 teams with a realistic shot of winning the title since it's been around. Before free agency actively used, it was dumb and cash strapped ownership groups making ridiculous deals which allowed teams like the Celtics and Lakers to build super teams through the draft with multiple top 5 picks over a short time span. I do think the league should implement a franchise tag rule if they're committed to leveling the playing field. To make it even more lopsided financially for the player so there are less complaints with a franchise tag rule, the franchised player should earn 35% of the cap immediately instead of having to wait for 10 years of service in the league when they're likely passing their prime and aren't worth that money in the last years of the contract. Heck, even 40% of the cap. To also stop the players who are willing to leave a ton of money on the table to team up, implement a rule that says if you have won the MVP in the past 5 seasons, you cannot join another team in free agency that has an MVP in the past 5 seasons. Same rule applies if you made two All-NBA teams in the past 5 seasons.
I agree with almost everything you said here except for limiting where a player can go. They are a free agent...if they want to leave they should be able to go wherever they want. The thing to do is make it easier for teams to keep them and maybe make some sort of penalty for teams that sign free agents.

Some ideas

Bigger financial advantage for keeping your own free agents when your team drafted them.

Reduced "Bird exemption" if you extend / re-sign a player that you didn't draft.

Loss of draft pick if you sign "franchise" type players...kind of like the NFL does. In a case like Durant, OKC would get 2 future first round picks from the Warriors (not consecutive years)
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 03:48 PM   #30
durtymrclean   durtymrclean is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalLions View Post
I don't blame the players for teaming up and the ratings don't really suffer when super teams are created. If anything, they generate more interest in the league for whatever reason. The league has always been 3-5 teams with a realistic shot of winning the title since it's been around. Before free agency actively used, it was dumb and cash strapped ownership groups making ridiculous deals which allowed teams like the Celtics and Lakers to build super teams through the draft with multiple top 5 picks over a short time span. I do think the league should implement a franchise tag rule if they're committed to leveling the playing field. To make it even more lopsided financially for the player so there are less complaints with a franchise tag rule, the franchised player should earn 35% of the cap immediately instead of having to wait for 10 years of service in the league when they're likely passing their prime and aren't worth that money in the last years of the contract. Heck, even 40% of the cap. To also stop the players who are willing to leave a ton of money on the table to team up, implement a rule that says if you have won the MVP in the past 5 seasons, you cannot join another team in free agency that has an MVP in the past 5 seasons. Same rule applies if you made two All-NBA teams in the past 5 seasons.
We shouldnt punish players for being the best player in the league by limiting their open market, thus lowering their bargaining power.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Top      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.