Go Back   DetroitSportsForum > Sports > Detroit Pistons > NBA General Board
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2017, 04:09 PM   #1
thehippo73   thehippo73 is offline
Senior Member
 
thehippo73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Canton, OH
Posts: 1,355
Kyrie wants out of Cleveland, gets his wish, traded to Celtics

Do we have the pieces to get him?

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...land-cavaliers
__________________
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.



Login or Register to Remove Ads
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 04:54 PM   #2
Mitchrapp   Mitchrapp is offline
Moderator
 
Mitchrapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 38,607
It's easy to say you want to be more of a focal point, can't blame him there, until the new team doesn't win games and suddenly you're asking to be traded for a different reason.
__________________
Trying to sneak a pitch past Hank Aaron is like trying to sneak a sunrise past a Rooster -- Joe Adcock

What are we at the park for except to win? I'd trip my mother. I'd help her up, brush her off, tell her I'm sorry. But mother don't make it to third -- Leo Durocher

The NFL can kiss my ass!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:05 PM   #3
everyoneneedsasmil   everyoneneedsasmil is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchrapp View Post
It's easy to say you want to be more of a focal point, can't blame him there, until the new team doesn't win games and suddenly you're asking to be traded for a different reason.
This. I don't fault the guy if he wants something different, but I think it's going to be almost impossible to accommodate both Kyrie's and the Cav's desires. The Cavs are only going to trade Kyrie if it gets them a similarly talented player. If you are a team without a star to upstage Kyrie, it means you're committing to build around Kyrie. History suggests building around Kyrie as your main star isn't a winning plan.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:29 PM   #4
sggatecl   sggatecl is online now
Senior Member
 
sggatecl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Okemos, MI
Posts: 7,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehippo73 View Post
Drummond and Jackson

for

Irving, Thompson, and Frye

That's the most feasible trade I can think of that would work cap wise. Whether it's even, fair, or whatever is entirely up for debate.
__________________
"When you start to feel sad, always remember to stop being a little bitch and no one cares."
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:31 PM   #5
sggatecl   sggatecl is online now
Senior Member
 
sggatecl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Okemos, MI
Posts: 7,164
But let's be real. He's going to the Spurs to play with Leonard because that's how the NBA works.
__________________
"When you start to feel sad, always remember to stop being a little bitch and no one cares."
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:45 PM   #6
MSUMatt28   MSUMatt28 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,273
So you've just played in 3 straight finals and averaged 25 ppg last season, but that's not enough? So either he's delusional thinking he can take a team to similar heights all by himself, or he wants a Russell Westbrook type of role where he can be free to jack up 40 shots a game and make it to the first round of the playoffs. In other words he doesn't care much about winning.

Both sound like reasons to take a pass on him, if it was actually possible.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:23 PM   #7
thehippo73   thehippo73 is offline
Senior Member
 
thehippo73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Canton, OH
Posts: 1,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUMatt28 View Post
So you've just played in 3 straight finals and averaged 25 ppg last season, but that's not enough? So either he's delusional thinking he can take a team to similar heights all by himself, or he wants a Russell Westbrook type of role where he can be free to jack up 40 shots a game and make it to the first round of the playoffs. In other words he doesn't care much about winning.

Both sound like reasons to take a pass on him, if it was actually possible.
I don't think he cares about winning. He wants to be Westbrook. And if he is in the East, he could carry a team into the playoffs. He can't do it in the West. He isn't as good as Westbrook.
__________________
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:13 PM   #8
sggatecl   sggatecl is online now
Senior Member
 
sggatecl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Okemos, MI
Posts: 7,164
I don't know if I buy the "he wants to be RW3" argument. Irving signed his 5 year deal after Lebron had abandoned Cleveland and under the guise that (then GM Griffin) was going to build the team around the PG position.

Irving is a special talent. Good enough to carry a team against GSW? Probably not. But to say the guy doesn't want to win, just because he wants to be the focal point of a team seems presumptuous. Misguided and maybe a bit arrogant in his own abilities possibly, I could buy into that.
__________________
"When you start to feel sad, always remember to stop being a little bitch and no one cares."
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:58 AM   #9
MSUMatt28   MSUMatt28 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by sggatecl View Post
I don't know if I buy the "he wants to be RW3" argument. Irving signed his 5 year deal after Lebron had abandoned Cleveland and under the guise that (then GM Griffin) was going to build the team around the PG position.

Irving is a special talent. Good enough to carry a team against GSW? Probably not. But to say the guy doesn't want to win, just because he wants to be the focal point of a team seems presumptuous. Misguided and maybe a bit arrogant in his own abilities possibly, I could buy into that.
Again, he averaged 25 ppg being a sidekick so I don't know how much more focal he thinks he needs to be. Probably doesn't get so many good looks without a Lebron on the court with him either.

I suppose he thinks he is Kobe who had had enough of playing with Shaq and then after some re-tooling eventually won 2 titles on his own.

He isn't Kobe.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 10:29 AM   #10
everyoneneedsasmil   everyoneneedsasmil is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,756
Reports are that Kyrie preferred San Antonio, Minnesota, New York, or Miami. This is a confusing mix of teams. On the Spurs, he'd very much be second fiddle again behind Leonard. In Minny he'd arguably be third fiddle behind Butler and Towns. Only NY or Miami would legitimately be able to offer him that chance to be "the man," and both are only playoff teams because they happen to play in the East.

On any team that would be expected to get out of the first round, Kyrie wouldn't be the best player.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Top      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.