Go Back   DetroitSportsForum > Sports > Detroit Pistons > NBA General Board

Old 07-21-2017, 04:09 PM   #1

Kyrie wants out of Cleveland, gets his wish, traded to Celtics

Do we have the pieces to get him?

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...land-cavaliers

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-21-2017, 04:54 PM   #2

It's easy to say you want to be more of a focal point, can't blame him there, until the new team doesn't win games and suddenly you're asking to be traded for a different reason.

What are we at the park for except to win? I'd trip my mother. I'd help her up, brush her off, tell her I'm sorry. But mother don't make it to third -- Leo Durocher

The NFL can kiss my ass!!
Old 07-21-2017, 07:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchrapp View Post
It's easy to say you want to be more of a focal point, can't blame him there, until the new team doesn't win games and suddenly you're asking to be traded for a different reason.
This. I don't fault the guy if he wants something different, but I think it's going to be almost impossible to accommodate both Kyrie's and the Cav's desires. The Cavs are only going to trade Kyrie if it gets them a similarly talented player. If you are a team without a star to upstage Kyrie, it means you're committing to build around Kyrie. History suggests building around Kyrie as your main star isn't a winning plan.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehippo73 View Post
Drummond and Jackson

for

Irving, Thompson, and Frye

That's the most feasible trade I can think of that would work cap wise. Whether it's even, fair, or whatever is entirely up for debate.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:31 PM   #5

But let's be real. He's going to the Spurs to play with Leonard because that's how the NBA works.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:45 PM   #6

So you've just played in 3 straight finals and averaged 25 ppg last season, but that's not enough? So either he's delusional thinking he can take a team to similar heights all by himself, or he wants a Russell Westbrook type of role where he can be free to jack up 40 shots a game and make it to the first round of the playoffs. In other words he doesn't care much about winning.

Both sound like reasons to take a pass on him, if it was actually possible.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUMatt28 View Post
So you've just played in 3 straight finals and averaged 25 ppg last season, but that's not enough? So either he's delusional thinking he can take a team to similar heights all by himself, or he wants a Russell Westbrook type of role where he can be free to jack up 40 shots a game and make it to the first round of the playoffs. In other words he doesn't care much about winning.

Both sound like reasons to take a pass on him, if it was actually possible.
I don't think he cares about winning. He wants to be Westbrook. And if he is in the East, he could carry a team into the playoffs. He can't do it in the West. He isn't as good as Westbrook.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:13 PM   #8

I don't know if I buy the "he wants to be RW3" argument. Irving signed his 5 year deal after Lebron had abandoned Cleveland and under the guise that (then GM Griffin) was going to build the team around the PG position.

Irving is a special talent. Good enough to carry a team against GSW? Probably not. But to say the guy doesn't want to win, just because he wants to be the focal point of a team seems presumptuous. Misguided and maybe a bit arrogant in his own abilities possibly, I could buy into that.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sggatecl View Post
I don't know if I buy the "he wants to be RW3" argument. Irving signed his 5 year deal after Lebron had abandoned Cleveland and under the guise that (then GM Griffin) was going to build the team around the PG position.

Irving is a special talent. Good enough to carry a team against GSW? Probably not. But to say the guy doesn't want to win, just because he wants to be the focal point of a team seems presumptuous. Misguided and maybe a bit arrogant in his own abilities possibly, I could buy into that.
Again, he averaged 25 ppg being a sidekick so I don't know how much more focal he thinks he needs to be. Probably doesn't get so many good looks without a Lebron on the court with him either.

I suppose he thinks he is Kobe who had had enough of playing with Shaq and then after some re-tooling eventually won 2 titles on his own.

He isn't Kobe.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:29 AM   #10

Reports are that Kyrie preferred San Antonio, Minnesota, New York, or Miami. This is a confusing mix of teams. On the Spurs, he'd very much be second fiddle again behind Leonard. In Minny he'd arguably be third fiddle behind Butler and Towns. Only NY or Miami would legitimately be able to offer him that chance to be "the man," and both are only playoff teams because they happen to play in the East.

On any team that would be expected to get out of the first round, Kyrie wouldn't be the best player.