Go Back   DetroitSportsForum > Off topic > Diggler's Junk > Politics

Old 08-02-2017, 04:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by turok View Post
~1/4 of the US are sociopaths who are okay with those who have affluenza, and look down upon those who are/were born into or become impoverished, disabled, minority, and/or become the unproductive elderly who survive upon SS/Medicare.

~1/4 of the nation are the polar opposite...aka the Antifa SJW.

~1/2 of the country follow Kim Kardashian's Twitter, are super sports fans, Ya'll Qaeda, are chronics, and/or alcoholics and/or are addicted to meth/coke/opioids/heroin, google for pics of Beyonce's newborn twins, watch Murka's Got Talent, are game talk-show audiences, have no idea who are their reps in local/state/federal government, or have/want to stand in front of Rockefeller Center in NYC, hoping that the NBC camera pans on them and their hand-drawn sign for a millisecond, so that they can tweet to their followers that they got on the Today Show's morning teevee....aka the apolitical, substance-dependent, superficial, and apathetic.
it's always been like this though. You should learn to love it. give Thumb a call. he will set your mind at ease.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-02-2017, 06:18 PM   #12

All societies have always been oligarchies regardless of their political or economic structures.

"When you look for the bad in mankind, expecting to find it, you surely will." - Pollyanna

Last edited by tinselwolverine; 08-03-2017 at 08:22 AM.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by michchamp View Post
it's always been like this though. You should learn to love it. give Thumb a call. he will set your mind at ease.

The abolishment of the Fairness Doctrine during the Roaring Raygun 80s has had a larger impact on the yawning divide btw ideologies, than most know or realize, IMO. Politicians. pundits and pastors can lie with impunity, and so-called journalism has been watered down and compromised by the spread of ad-$$$ into cable/satellite TV, social media, and the internet.

Last edited by turok; 08-02-2017 at 06:39 PM.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:33 PM   #14

Quote:
as far as the article being lazy journalism... how?

sure I knew that families that gave giant wads of cash to universities got special treatment. the author actually got a list of recent big time donors to Harvard, matched their names to kids recently admitted, and tracked down their records to see if they would've gotten in o the merits. it wasn't just an article though... he wrote a whole book on the topic about these practices generally, not just Harvard about a decade ago. that's lazy? this article is a refresh of that topic, newsworthy now that one of its subjects works in the WhiteHouse and given his father-in-law's hands-off attitude and love of nepotism, enjoys way more power than he should

the author also showed how much it cost Kushner's parents to buy their son's way into the school: $2.5 million, in annual installments of $250k. Holy shit. not sure whether the size of that gift is reassuring or demorilizing.

As I previously pointed out...he quotes an anonymous source, with data that can't be verified. What ever happened to multiple sources? Fact checking? Oh wait, let's not worry about that this guy is trying to sell a few more copies of his 2006 book, and for convince sake he'll just drop a few direct links to the Amazon page to purchase said book.
"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
Old 08-02-2017, 09:36 PM   #15

Quote:
oh. i guess we should learn to be okay with it then. pardon me for attempting to draw attention to this inconsistency.

mods please delete thread.

I'm not saying it's okay, but like Tinsel pointed out....water is still wet.
"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
Old 08-03-2017, 09:47 AM   #16

so, the DOJ feels college affirmative action policies are such a problem, they're spending their meager references fighting them. link. what a fuckin' joke.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:01 AM   #17

Quote:
so, the DOJ feels college affirmative action policies are such a problem, they're spending their meager references fighting them. link. what a fuckin' joke.
how do you spend a reference? How any covfefe's will one reference buy?
Old 08-03-2017, 10:04 AM   #18

Quote:
Okay, you have two unrelated things going on in this this thread. The OP is about the Kushner donation to Harvard, and then in post 4, you move to Affirmative Action and Rush Limbaugh.

"When you look for the bad in mankind, expecting to find it, you surely will." - Pollyanna
Old 08-03-2017, 11:07 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinselwolverine View Post
Okay, you have two unrelated things going on in this this thread. The OP is about the Kushner donation to Harvard, and then in post 4, you move to Affirmative Action and Rush Limbaugh.
No kidding. I think it's interesting to find out who can't cut it in school. Like when he had Bush and Kerry and everyone thought Bush was dumb, but Kerry's grades were just as bad.

I've read suggestions that Kushner is one of the "voices of reason" Trump will listen to.

edit: although there's a lot of space between "didn't get into Harvard on his merits" and moron. I don't want to get carried away here.

Last edited by Gulo Blue; 08-03-2017 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:52 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanmack View Post
how do you spend a reference? How any covfefe's will one reference buy?
oops! i meant resources