Go Back   DetroitSportsForum > Off topic > Diggler's Junk > Politics

Old 08-04-2017, 08:01 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinselwolverine View Post
Okay, you have two unrelated things going on in this this thread. The OP is about the Kushner donation to Harvard, and then in post 4, you move to Affirmative Action and Rush Limbaugh.
yeah... it's related to affirmative action. and it's one of those political footballs that has been kicked around again.

I guess it's a topic for another thread, but it's kinda shocking how hands-off the DOJ has been with respect to white collar crime. and lest you think I'm being partisan here, this problem really got bad under Obama, when he nominated Eric Holder - as hands off as they come in terms of letting white collar criminals skate. Bush's DOJ threw the Enron scumbags in jail and brought down Andersen for signing off on it.

now seeing their focus is on low level drug bullshit (weed) and something that's not even criminal (affirmative action) looks like it will only continue to get worse.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-04-2017, 09:55 AM   #22

JFK himself was a bought-and-paid-for Haaavaddd Man. His application essay:

The reasons that I have for wishing to go to Harvard are several. I feel that Harvard can give me a better background and a better liberal education than any other university. I have always wanted to go there, as I have felt that it is not just another college, but is a university with something definite to offer. Then too, I would like to go to the same college as my father. To be a "Harvard man" is an enviable distinction, and one that I sincerely hope I shall attain.

JFK, 28 April 1935
Old 08-04-2017, 10:15 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by byco42 View Post
JFK himself was a bought-and-paid-for Haaavaddd Man. His application essay:

The reasons that I have for wishing to go to Harvard are several. I feel that Harvard can give me a better background and a better liberal education than any other university. I have always wanted to go there, as I have felt that it is not just another college, but is a university with something definite to offer. Then too, I would like to go to the same college as my father. To be a "Harvard man" is an enviable distinction, and one that I sincerely hope I shall attain.

JFK, 28 April 1935
yeah.

I never said, nor do I think bias and privilege playing a role in college admissions is a new thing.

But, I would draw a meaningful (at least I think it's meaningful) distinction between JFK following Joe to Harvard, and Kushner Sr. - who had no connections to Harvard - calling them up when Jared decided he wanted to apply there and just writing them 10 $250,000 checks to get him in.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:45 PM   #24

There is a clear distinction. At least the Kushner's had to pay something of value which could then be used to finance the education expenses of less fortunate students at Harvard.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:02 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by michchamp View Post
yeah.

I never said, nor do I think bias and privilege playing a role in college admissions is a new thing.

But, I would draw a meaningful (at least I think it's meaningful) distinction between JFK following Joe to Harvard, and Kushner Sr. - who had no connections to Harvard - calling them up when Jared decided he wanted to apply there and just writing them 10 $250,000 checks to get him in.
Is it against the law? Yes, it stinks, but that's life, right? The person who did not get into Harvard because of this injustice? Well ... who wants to go to Harvard anyway?
Old 08-04-2017, 01:09 PM   #26

Quote:
yeah... it's related to affirmative action. and it's one of those political footballs that has been kicked around again.
I don't see how the two are reference...related I mean.

Events of elite privilege are rare, random and micro in their nature.

Affirmative Action policies are macro in their nature.

"When you look for the bad in mankind, expecting to find it, you surely will." - Pollyanna
Old 08-04-2017, 01:11 PM   #27

Quote:
Is it against the law? Yes, it stinks, but that's life, right? The person who did not get into Harvard because of this injustice? Well ... who wants to go to Harvard anyway?
Kushnar is a minority too, anyway.

"When you look for the bad in mankind, expecting to find it, you surely will." - Pollyanna
Old 08-04-2017, 01:37 PM   #28

Quote:
yeah.

Right now Harvard costs about $67K per year....back then a little less. Let's say tuition room and board for one student for 4 years was about $250K. Maybe those 10 $250K checks went towards scholarships for 10 poor minorities that got in ahead of deserving white kids.

One rich kid gets in and pays for 10 poor kids. Sounds about right ;)

Last edited by tomdalton22; 08-04-2017 at 01:49 PM.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:40 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinselwolverine View Post
Kushnar is a minority too, anyway.
You dern right. He's got a daddy with money to burn.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:54 PM   #30

Quote:
You dern right. He's got a daddy with money to burn.
Yeah that too. Pretty small minority right there.