Go Back   DetroitSportsForum > Off topic > Diggler's Junk > Politics
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2017, 10:02 PM   #11
lostleader   lostleader is offline
Senior Member
 
lostleader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumb View Post
Whoa, the National Anthem is not about respecting the military/veterans. You're trying to make this about something it is not, it in no way disrespects anyone who served or serves. When they play the national anthem at the Olympic games, do you think all the athletes from those other countries are thinking of the people serving in their countries military at that time?

Also, "the people who fight" are not the reason these players make millions or live in gated communities.

This was weak.
I don't know where to even begin with this. I understand that we live in a world were everything can be twisted to fit our agenda. Regardless, the National Anthem, while played for patriotism and a "salute' to our nation, has been a standing symbol of the military. So, yes I take it as a disrespect to those that serve. I have no issue with anyone protesting, protest your heart out, doesn't affect my life, so go for it. But being blatantly disrespectful is another issue entirely.

Yes, these people make millions because of our military. The US military has protected our way of life and allowed for the freedoms we have. Since we have these freedoms, The Browns can protest how they see fit (Browns Fan by the way), Tom Brady can make millions and go to the White House, and I can have a pointless conversation with you via the inter-webs before I go to work to serve the community in which I reside. (at least thats what I tell myself)



Login or Register to Remove Ads
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:04 PM   #12
lostleader   lostleader is offline
Senior Member
 
lostleader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by michchamp View Post
go to your safe space, Nancy



good point. Adolf Hitler wanted to invade the US and prevent our professional football players from making millions of dollars. He wrote about it in Mein Kampf. the least these ingrates can do is stand for the national anthem, because that's something all veterans care about, & not just some bullshit Fox News is shoveling.
For the record, I avoid the new as much as possible. All it does is piss me off, Fox, CNN, MSNBC, ESPN, I avoid them all if possible. I do watch the local news, but even the weather man/girl is spewing fake news.

Last edited by lostleader; 08-23-2017 at 10:05 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:17 PM   #13
dubbsco   dubbsco is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 9,103
It's funny, because I honestly haven't heard a single military person who has been asked about that say, "Yes, I'm offended that they aren't standing." The overwhelming consensus in interviews and people I've asked in person have given some form of, "That's why we fight, so people can do that."

How are they being blatantly disrespectful?? It's a silent freaking protest at a sporting contest. Give me a break.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:28 PM   #14
sggatecl   sggatecl is offline
Senior Member
 
sggatecl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Okemos, MI
Posts: 7,173
I stand for the anthem at any event it's played at, remove the hat, yadda yadda.

But I don't understand why the fuck we do it at domestic sporting events. It makes no sense to me. Why do we choose to honor troops, flags, and songs at something that isn't involving other countries or representing anything military? Granted, I think nationalism is just fancy form of tribalism, so I'm obviously a bit biased. But still, it just seems like false patriotism, similiar to the false rage I see white people showing for minorities.
__________________
"When you start to feel sad, always remember to stop being a little bitch and no one cares."

Last edited by sggatecl; 08-23-2017 at 10:29 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:33 PM   #15
michchamp   michchamp is offline
Senior Member
 
michchamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: burning down the South
Posts: 22,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by sggatecl View Post
I stand for the anthem at any event it's played at, remove the hat, yadda yadda.

But I don't understand why the fuck we do it at domestic sporting events. It makes no sense to me. Why do we choose to honor troops, flags, and songs at something that isn't involving other countries or representing anything military? Granted, I think nationalism is just fancy form of tribalism, so I'm obviously a bit biased. But still, it just seems like false patriotism, similiar to the false rage I see white people showing for minorities.
it's just straight up propaganda. it only seems more innocent because we've grown so accustomed to it it. it's blatant war (and bloated defense budget) justifying bullshit.
__________________
"Everything pretty much BLOWS right now."
- original
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:42 PM   #16
sggatecl   sggatecl is offline
Senior Member
 
sggatecl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Okemos, MI
Posts: 7,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by michchamp View Post
it's just straight up propaganda. it only seems more innocent because we've grown so accustomed to it it. it's blatant war (and bloated defense budget) justifying bullshit.
Reminds me of the look on the face of some family members when I showed them that the Pledge of Allegiance wasn't adopted until the 40s and that 'under God' wasn't in the words until the 50s. They argued it had been around when America claimed independence from Britain. We had a really, really heated argument about it. One quick Google and that room got sooo quiet.
__________________
"When you start to feel sad, always remember to stop being a little bitch and no one cares."
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:51 PM   #17
tinselwolverine   tinselwolverine is online now
Moderator
 
tinselwolverine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 19,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdalton22 View Post
they aren't harming anyone...but they are offending many.
You are kind playing into the snowflakes' hand.

There is no Constitutional protection from being offended by Milo Yianopolous, not from Ann Coulter, nor from Bill Maher or Jerry Seinfeld, and also not from Kolin Kappernack.

Free speech is free speach.

Private companies and organizations - like the NFL- aren't the government. They're allowed to regulate the behavior of the people they pay; and if the people they pay don't like it, they can go get another job.
__________________
Go Blue!

"When you look for the bad in mankind, expecting to find it, you surely will." - Pollyanna
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 07:47 AM   #18
tomdalton22   tomdalton22 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 15,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinselwolverine View Post
You are kind playing into the snowflakes' hand.

There is no Constitutional protection from being offended by Milo Yianopolous, not from Ann Coulter, nor from Bill Maher or Jerry Seinfeld, and also not from Kolin Kappernack.

Free speech is free speach.

Private companies and organizations - like the NFL- aren't the government. They're allowed to regulate the behavior of the people they pay; and if the people they pay don't like it, they can go get another job.
believe me, I'm with you. What I meant was they are offending a bunch of people so they might have to pay the consequences of their actions (like not having a job like Kaepernick)
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 07:49 AM   #19
tomdalton22   tomdalton22 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 15,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by michchamp View Post
go to your safe space, Nancy
they aren't offending me...I feel they are free to do whatever they want...but I don't want to hear people bitch when NFL teams don't sign them because they are a distraction.

How's that kneeling working out for Colin Kaepernick?
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:43 AM   #20
Thumb   Thumb is offline
Senior Member
 
Thumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Thumb, duh!
Posts: 18,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostleader View Post
I don't know where to even begin with this. I understand that we live in a world were everything can be twisted to fit our agenda. Regardless, the National Anthem, while played for patriotism and a "salute' to our nation, has been a standing symbol of the military. So, yes I take it as a disrespect to those that serve. I have no issue with anyone protesting, protest your heart out, doesn't affect my life, so go for it. But being blatantly disrespectful is another issue entirely.

Yes, these people make millions because of our military. The US military has protected our way of life and allowed for the freedoms we have. Since we have these freedoms, The Browns can protest how they see fit (Browns Fan by the way), Tom Brady can make millions and go to the White House, and I can have a pointless conversation with you via the inter-webs before I go to work to serve the community in which I reside. (at least thats what I tell myself)


Sorry, was at work so couldn't respond right away.

Now I can, and I'll start with this to the bold type of your post: Horseshit.

I respect the men and women who have served/serve our country in the military....make no mistake about that, but you are out of your fucking mind if you think that's any reason we have the NFL and million dollar athletes, celebs, etc. Freedom in this country has not been threatened by outside forces for well over 100 years. No nation on earth could or can invade us and take these freedoms away. Our military does have a rich history of fighting for freedom though, such as in Europe, Asia and the Middle East, but it hasn't been our freedom at stake for a long time, because that is secure at least to the point that the only way it can be taken away is by the officials we elected, who could do it by passing laws, in which case the military could do nothing about it anyways.

So you can believe that protesting players are disrespecting the people of the armed services if you like, you can even believe that without our military there would be no millionaire players or sporting events, and you can believe that the moon is made of cheese, because that's your right, even when you're wrong.
__________________
"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Top      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.