Go Back   DetroitSportsForum > Off topic > Diggler's Junk > Politics

Old 11-17-2017, 07:48 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsbob View Post
Disgusting bill. Nice handout to Millionaires and billionaires . But raises taxes on people who make 10,000 to 75,000. Big old Gop tax lie ... Big payday to the donors like the Koch Brothers. Fuck Trump.
I don't see where it raises taxes on people that make between $10-$75K

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-17-2017, 08:55 AM   #22

it's well established that when corporations get tax cuts, they do not use the windfall to expand operations and hire more people... they either acquire competitors (and mergers lead to FEWER jobs), or they buy out legacy employees with early retirement (again... fewer jobs), or they pay bonuses to execs. link, link, link... there's a veritable ocean of op eds, research papers, government budget studies, etc. that prove this FALSE.

the myth that tax cuts lead to jobs should be belied by the trends of the last forty fucking years, but it's become accepted for some reason by a lot of Americans.

it SOUNDS logical, right?

"I know Corporate tax rates are too high because [insert blurb written by flack from some corporate tax lobbyist heard on Fox Business]."

no, you don't know shit.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:47 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by turok View Post
And when flyover country experiences no job growth, or has losses over the next few years, their "representatives" will claim that Big Corp. needs yet another tax-cut.

Just like when food prices soared in '08, and Big Food claimed that it was due to high fuel prices, but when fuel prices sank after '13, did food prices even noticeably respond in kind?

Nah...of course not.
It's tough to track everything, but I did notice milk prices came down. They're on the way back up again now, but they did come down for a while.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:58 AM   #24

The tuition stipend thing pisses me off. I'm not sure about other fields, but for engineering, when I went back to school, in addition to classes and the research I did for my own dissertation, I had to do some assistant teaching and contribute to other research projects. When you're given work like that, that doesn't contribute to graduating, it's understood that you're earning your tuition waiver. So it is like getting paid and I do see that argument. But most of these people are right out of college, they don't have any money. If you're in a field where you bring research money in, like engineering, you get a $20-30k per year stipend to live on, even though you're easily worth 2 or 3 times as much in private industry. This bill wants to tax the value of the tuition waiver. So you make $25k, but get taxed of $75k, which would take a huge chunk out of your $25k and knock you to roughly poverty wages. (Students that don't bring in money don't even get the $25k. This would mean the only advanced degree English majors would have to be independently wealthy...that's probably the real goal here.)

Beyond the value in training, a lot of research done by grad students directly spins off as startup companies or gets licensed to big companies. It's a huge part of our technological progress. This idea is total stupidity.

Last edited by Gulo Blue; 11-17-2017 at 10:00 AM.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:56 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdalton22 View Post
I don't see where it raises taxes on people that make between $10-$75K
They will go up after 2025, just coincidentally when the temporary cuts are set to expire, and when the majority of the boomers will be, and all within a year or two of being SS/Medicare eligible. But of course temporary cuts can be shortened, and SS eligibilility lengthened, which I expect that the Republicans will do, if their plans to shaft the middle/lower-class via slow acting poison are successful in the next 2 elections. But the GOP's ultimate goal is to privatize everything except for the military anyway, and likely by the middle of the next decade, if not sooner.

But the nation will probably be in at least 25T red fed debt by then, so this is all just worthless vapor fiat funds being manipulated on computer databases. So when conservatives complain about their tax-money going to help lazy Caddy-driving steak & lobster eating black welfare baby mommas, I have to laugh. Their income taxes disappear into the maw of that super-massive "red" hole of fed debt, then the govmint just magically gives it back, but only more to mostly red tax-receipient states, and less to tax-donor blue-purple states than was collected.

Last edited by turok; 11-17-2017 at 11:04 AM.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:03 AM   #26

Quote:
And when flyover country experiences no job growth, or has losses over the next few years, their "representatives" will claim that Big Corp. needs yet another tax-cut.

Just like when food prices soared in '08, and Big Food claimed that it was due to high fuel prices, but when fuel prices sank after '13, did food prices even noticeably respond in kind?

Nah...of course not.
there is so much consolidation in the US economy, prices don't really reflect the overly simplistic Econ 101 "competitive supply and demand" stuff like Republicans insist they do.

monopoly pricing & marketing explains most of it... they charge what they can.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:38 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by michchamp View Post
there is so much consolidation in the US economy, prices don't really reflect the overly simplistic Econ 101 "competitive supply and demand" stuff like Republicans insist they do.

monopoly pricing & marketing explains most of it... they charge what they can.
Outside of mergers and takeovers, thought that one of Drumpf's campaign promises was that he would place tariffs on imports, in large part to punish multinationals who have/will move jobs out of the country. So much for that.
Not that I ever believed anything that came out of his pathological lying piehole.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:20 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsbob View Post
Corporatons have been asking for handouts for years and it is total BS that that anyone thinks thier rate is 35%. Hasn't even been close for years with all the breaks they have been getting. Get ready for that great trickle down again ...lol !!! Same old Gop game plan that never works. Republicans are just a worthless piece of crap party.
LOL, just as many think that Democrats are also a worthless piece of crap party. So does that mean any people who are part of the 2 party system in America are worthless pieces of crap?

Interesting theory.
Old 11-27-2017, 01:37 PM   #29

If I was an employee or employer in the dirty non-renewables industries, or was a grifting for gawd prosperity gospel preacher, or employed by a for-profit health insurer, or was born/married into great wealth/family-owned business, never or very briefly knowing what it was like to live paycheck to paycheck, or believes that people born with more melanin are that much more likely to be lazy, criminals, and/or terrorists, or was a small-medium-large business owner who doesn't want to offer my employees anything over min wage, PT work with no bennies or FLSA/FICA...ect, then I would most likely tend to vote Republican. These are just examples, and by no means are all of them.

My Democratic representative hasn't been obligated to sign any tax-pledge drawn up by someone who himself has never held any elected office whatsoever, either. Fuck the Greedy Old Pricks, and the Super PACs that they rode in on.

Old 11-27-2017, 05:16 PM   #30

Quote:
If I was an employee or employer in the dirty non-renewables industries, or was a grifting for gawd prosperity gospel preacher, or employed by a for-profit health insurer, or was born/married into great wealth/family-owned business, never or very briefly knowing what it was like to live paycheck to paycheck, or believes that people born with more melanin are that much more likely to be lazy, criminals, and/or terrorists, or was a small-medium-large business owner who doesn't want to offer my employees anything over min wage, PT work with no bennies or FLSA/FICA...ect, then I would most likely tend to vote Republican. These are just examples, and by no means are all of them.

My Democratic representative hasn't been obligated to sign any tax-pledge drawn up by someone who himself has never held any elected office whatsoever, either. Fuck the Greedy Old Pricks, and the Super PACs that they rode in on.
have you ever voted for a republican?