Go Back   DetroitSportsForum > Sports > Michigan State Spartans

Old 12-05-2017, 09:47 PM   #21

Rutgers played hard, but despite the gaudy rebounding numbers overall we don't do a good job of blocking out. Rely too much on length and athleticism. They got almost as many offensive rebounds as Duke. Offensively we got pretty good shots, but didn't knock down as many as we should have. It happens. JJJ saved MSU in the second half.

As for Ward I didn't see much of the first half, but obviously Izzo was unhappy with him and Winston at halftime. Luckily Winston stepped it up late. Ward probably did deserve to sit some, but Izzo can only go to that well so many times. Schilling, Goins, and Tillman weren't necessarily more effective in their time.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by MSUMatt28; 12-05-2017 at 09:48 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:57 PM   #22

Ward will transfer. Canít blame the guy if he does. Weíre holding people to 28% shooting and Izzo still gets on him for bad defense. He has more talent than Schilling, Goins, and whatever the hell the transfers name is combined. I canít say how many times Iíve said this but play your best players, stop with the fucking mind games. Seeing Tum Tum and Goins on the floor is so disappointing and uneccasary
Old 12-05-2017, 10:13 PM   #23

][MEDIA=tweet]938241165480091648[/MEDIA]
[MEDIA=tweet]938241317360062464[/MEDIA]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Old 12-05-2017, 10:16 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciousGameWinner View Post
Ward will transfer. Canít blame the guy if he does. Weíre holding people to 28% shooting and Izzo still gets on him for bad defense. He has more talent than Schilling, Goins, and whatever the hell the transfers name is combined. I canít say how many times Iíve said this but play your best players, stop with the fucking mind games. Seeing Tum Tum and Goins on the floor is so disappointing and uneccasary
He won't transfer, he'll go to the NBA, he got graded after last year.

Not sure exactly what transpired but I'd bet it had something to do with effort and focus. Schilling was terrible in his place, 3 moving screens though the last one was bs. Goins played ok, had a few big boards and kept the ball alive a few times but of course they don't bring what Nick had. I assume Izzo is trying to get him to play 100% night in and night out, did the same thing with Branden Dawson

Old 12-05-2017, 10:24 PM   #25

Nick Ward, when asked what he needs to do better: "Can you guys name a big that killed me this year? Can you name a big that scored over eight points on me this year? Have I fouled out of any games?"

Thatís a frustrated player. Beyond frustrated. Ward is the most dominant low post player in the country!!!! The fact that he gives up 3 layups a game (which I really donít see because Jackson is protecting the rim) is fine by me. PLAY HIM!!!
Old 12-05-2017, 11:01 PM   #26

I’m sorry but I vehemently disagree with the mentality of benching a guy for that as was the case tonight. Ward at his worst defensively is 90% of the time still a better option on the court than goins and even Schilling. Same with Winston being benched a bulk of the second half IIRC. There’s a time and place to rip a guy and give him the tough love/teach a lesson, but to me it’s not in a close game on the road especially a conference opponent. You can get away with that for a stretch of time in a blowout win/loss, not today. There’s a reason I’m sitting on my couch watching games and Izzo is in the HOF but I just hate that line of thinking.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:22 PM   #27

Like I kind of said previously, you can certainly try to "teach them a lesson" and put a talented player on the bench when they're not doing what you want. But if you overplay your hand there, eventually the player rather than getting mad and going out and playing harder, might just decide to shut down, tune you out, and say "to hell with this". Hopefully Ward isn't at that point, but he seems awfully close based on tonight.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:42 AM   #28

Pissed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbee View Post
Ward played 30 seconds in the 2nd half, his mom is tweeting about it. He also was the only guy not up cheering after Jackson's dunk

I didnt get to watch this one but looked at the box score. I saw Wards low minutes as I looked right going through the numbers I assumed it was due to early fouls. I saw 0 fouls and then assumed injury. Now it looks like neither?? Id be pissed if I were him also. We dont know what happened behind the scenes but it better be justified to bench such a great player while struggling for a win 80% of the game. He sounds pissed, as he should be.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:58 AM   #29

I've said it the last two years that it's bullshit that Izzo looks for reasons to sit Ward and play Goins. I don't get it and never will. It WILL cost us wins. I love Izzo, but this just doesn't make sense and could possibly ruin our season.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:44 AM   #30

#14 Minny got soundly beat at Nebraska last night. Road games are tough.