Go Back   DetroitSportsForum > Off topic > Diggler's Junk > Politics

Old 01-01-2018, 08:29 PM   #21

97% of scientists world wide think Global warming is real and yet the masses believe the GOP Fixed news propaganda, and the right biblical playbook. It is sad we let religion in politics, and give them so much control.
FIND A DAMN RUNNING BACK!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-01-2018, 09:22 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by turok View Post

Not so much about what was happening on Earth climate-wise, and the film was set in the rainy Pacific Northwest, where coincidentally most tech companies are located. I haven't watched the long delayed sequel yet, although I do have a downloaded bootleg copy of it.

Nah, Blade Runner wasn't about climate change; that shit wasn't around at the time.

Blade Runner is about one of the oldest themes ever; likely best captured in Mary Shelly's Frankenstein- man's disconnection from a negligent, selfish and absent creator, and man's desire to reconnect with that entity.

"When you look for the bad in mankind, expecting to find it, you surely will." - Pollyanna
Old 01-02-2018, 12:45 PM   #23

Interesting that the whole "gender is a social construct not rooted in biology" is missing from this list. Or the World Health Organization saying gender dysmorphia is no longer a mental disorder but playing video games excessively is. Science!

Maybe this has something to do with post #2 of this thread.

Last edited by Spartanmack; 01-02-2018 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:04 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinselwolverine View Post
Nah, Blade Runner wasn't about climate change; that shit wasn't around at the time.

Blade Runner is about one of the oldest themes ever; likely best captured in Mary Shelly's Frankenstein- man's disconnection from a negligent, selfish and absent creator, and man's desire to reconnect with that entity.
I read an article saying that the Blade Runner sequel is about climate change - it was included in a list of climate change alarmist films of 2017 that were box office busts.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:10 PM   #25

"list of climate change alarmist films"

Must be a great publication.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:17 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanmack View Post
I read an article saying that the Blade Runner sequel is about climate change - it was included in a list of climate change alarmist films of 2017 that were box office busts.
Oh.

Well when Blade Runner was released in 1982, it was right around the time of the end of a several decade long period of cooling average global temperatures which had people talking about the dawning of a new ice age.

"When you look for the bad in mankind, expecting to find it, you surely will." - Pollyanna
Old 01-02-2018, 03:24 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulo Blue View Post
"list of climate change alarmist films"

Must be a great publication.
it was an article posted on Drudge, don't see it there anymore and don't recall the source. It listed films like Iconvenient Sequel, Downsizing, Bladerunner, Mother! and Geostorm.

is it not a valid topic? Hollywood leftists keep preaching their favorite pet cause both from the pulpit and in their productions. An article pointing out how out of touch they are with their audience when these films keep failing doesn't seem that odd to me.

Edit: bing found it - it was the Washington Times. https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...x-office-2017/

Last edited by Spartanmack; 01-02-2018 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:37 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinselwolverine View Post
Oh.

Well when Blade Runner was released in 1982, it was right around the time of the end of a several decade long period of cooling average global temperatures which had people talking about the dawning of a new ice age.
just found and reread the article - the author says that Mother! and Blade Runner 2049 touch on climate change in more subtle ways. Apologies if I gave the wrong impression about BR 2049 being about climate change - I haven't seen it and had been a few days since I read the article when I wrote that post.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:38 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanmack View Post
it was an article posted on Drudge, don't see it there anymore and don't recall the source. It listed films like Iconvenient Sequel, Downsizing, Bladerunner, Mother! and Geostorm.

is it not a valid topic? Hollywood leftists keep preaching their favorite pet cause both from the pulpit and in their productions. An article pointing out how out of touch they are with their audience when these films keep failing doesn't seem that odd to me.
It's not a valid topic. Journalists can't go 2 seconds without being alarmist with regard to just about everything, but the need to change how we impact our environment is dire. Far more important than quibbling over who goes too far in raising the alarm.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:50 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulo Blue View Post
It's not a valid topic. Journalists can't go 2 seconds without being alarmist with regard to just about everything, but the need to change how we impact our environment is dire. Far more important than quibbling over who goes too far in raising the alarm.
so maybe someone should write an article telling people to go see these movies instead of pointing out to these tone deaf celebrity pundits that they're preaching to their audience at their peril.

film critics write articles about films and they write about the business aspect as well as the entertainment side. There's nothing wrong with the theme of this piece.