Go Back   DetroitSportsForum > Off topic > Diggler's Junk > Politics

Old 01-04-2018, 08:57 PM   #1

Trump administration drops Obama-era easing of marijuana prosecutions

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN1ET1MU

Quote:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Justice Department on Thursday rescinded an Obama administration policy that had eased enforcement of federal marijuana laws in states that legalized the drug, instead giving federal prosecutors wide latitude to pursue criminal charges.

The action by Attorney General Jeff Sessions could have damaging consequences for the burgeoning marijuana industry in the six states including California and Colorado that have legalized the drug for recreational use, plus dozens of others that permit medicinal use.

Justice Department officials declined to say whether they might take legal action against those states, saying further steps were “still under consideration.”
"Rah! Rah! State's rights!"

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-05-2018, 01:36 AM   #2

Well, what is going to be more fun and more interesting is how the FBI and DEA are going to interact with the state in law enforcement agencies where marijuana is legal under state law.

I don't think federal prosecutors are going to bring prosecutions against anybody who hasn't been arrested and charge by a law enforcement agency of the federal government.

"When you look for the bad in mankind, expecting to find it, you surely will." - Pollyanna
Old 01-05-2018, 09:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sggatecl View Post
"'DURRR STATE'S RIGHTS!' ... uh except for federal policies we like, then uh, remember different slogans. 'JUST SAY NO!' in this case."
Old 01-05-2018, 09:22 AM   #4

so if a company who grows weed legally in CA but sells it across state lines where it isn't legal...shouldn't the federal government be involved in prosecution? Isn't that their job?
Old 01-05-2018, 09:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdalton22 View Post
so if a company who grows weed legally in CA but sells it across state lines where it isn't legal...shouldn't the federal government be involved in prosecution? Isn't that their job?
What company is doing that?

EDIT: The Obama Administration policy that Sessions overturned never had anything to do with the situation you described. The DEA would have always maintained jurisdiction in such a case.

"When you look for the bad in mankind, expecting to find it, you surely will." - Pollyanna

Last edited by tinselwolverine; 01-05-2018 at 09:46 AM.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by michchamp View Post
"'DURRR STATE'S RIGHTS!' ... uh except for federal policies we like, then uh, remember different slogans. 'JUST SAY NO!' in this case."
Again...there aren't going to be federal prosecutions without arrests made and charges brought by federal law enforcement agents.

So are federal agents going to make arrests and bring charges absent of cooperation of local police and law enforcement?

EDIT: To me, this is just more "my button is bigger, and mine works" kind of thing...

Last edited by tinselwolverine; 01-05-2018 at 09:52 AM.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinselwolverine View Post
What company is doing that?

EDIT: The Obama Administration policy that Sessions overturned never had anything to do with the situation you described. The DEA would have always maintained jurisdiction in such a case.
I don't know. I was just coming up with a scenario where the feds would or should get involved.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdalton22 View Post
I don't know. I was just coming up with a scenario where the feds would or should get involved.
See the edit in post five. The Obama policy never waived the DOJ's jurisdiction in such cases.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sggatecl View Post

The same as their quest to "shrink government down to the size where it could fit in a bathtub" so Grover Norquist could fulfull his wettest of wet dreams and drown it. The truth is moreso a reallowcation of govenment funds to rapidly benefit the 01%, big business, and the MIC. It also is time-delayed wealth redistribution and deprivation, by temporarily cutting taxes to most, then resume and increase them, once the next four election cycles have been completed.

However, the tax cuts are temporary, and are intentionally designed to manipulate and placate the portion of conservative voters who might otherwise become angry and maybe rebel by not voting, when none or few of the "jobs" part of the act materialize. The temporary cuts could easily and sooner be rescinded if, or better still, when the GOP attain two or more of the following desired scenarios: a supermajority in Congress, increase the number of RW SCJs to six or more, retain the Oval Office in the '20 election, increase the amount of Republican governorships to more than half, and majority control of state legislatures by over 2/3rds.

Last edited by turok; 01-05-2018 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:16 PM   #10

I completely disagree with Sessions on this and I really wish trump would fire him.