Go Back   DetroitSportsForum > Off topic > Diggler's Junk > Politics
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2018, 11:25 AM   #11
tomdalton22   tomdalton22 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 15,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by michchamp View Post
the bad news is some portion of that money went to your state and local government to fund cops, schools, fire, road maintenance, etc.

other taxes have to go up to make up for it, or we can just get used to worse services, and shittier infrastructure which has been the long term trend.

but hey, at least you can claim you "owned teh libs" because your nominal take home pay went up...
It's my understanding that cops, schools, fire, and road maintenance are mostly paid by local taxes, property taxes, and state taxes.



Login or Register to Remove Ads
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 11:26 AM   #12
michchamp   michchamp is offline
Senior Member
 
michchamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: burning down the South
Posts: 22,902
also, I'm trying to find the article, but it had a survey of American firms, and found that a whopping 80% plan no salary increases, hiring, or investment due to the tax cut. and of the remaining 20%, not all were doing so either: they just didn't say "no" in response to the survey.

this counters the strategically placed headlines about a handful of big multi-nationals trumpeting they would throw a few peanuts to their workers... the "liberal media" works closer with the Business Roundtable, Koch's, US Chamber of Commerce, & GOP than we're often told. Again and again...
__________________
"Everything pretty much BLOWS right now."
- original
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 11:27 AM   #13
michchamp   michchamp is offline
Senior Member
 
michchamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: burning down the South
Posts: 22,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdalton22 View Post
It's my understanding that cops, schools, fire, and road maintenance are mostly paid by local taxes, property taxes, and state taxes.
great understanding! I am not saying they are not mostly funded by state and local taxes, and property taxes.
__________________
"Everything pretty much BLOWS right now."
- original

Last edited by michchamp; 01-31-2018 at 11:27 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 11:49 AM   #14
michchamp   michchamp is offline
Senior Member
 
michchamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: burning down the South
Posts: 22,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by michchamp View Post
also, I'm trying to find the article, but it had a survey of American firms, and found that a whopping 80% plan no salary increases, hiring, or investment due to the tax cut. and of the remaining 20%, not all were doing so either: they just didn't say "no" in response to the survey.

this counters the strategically placed headlines about a handful of big multi-nationals trumpeting they would throw a few peanuts to their workers... the "liberal media" works closer with the Business Roundtable, Koch's, US Chamber of Commerce, & GOP than we're often told. Again and again...
here's the article.

this part is buried at the end:
Around 40% of companies said they have already taken at least one “action” as a result of the tax bill, from increasing hiring to spending money on automation.
more jobs are good... assuming they are full time positions! not temps,
in the US or some 3rd world country hired through an offshoring agency.

and of course increased automation means less jobs. maybe this is a wash for the middle/working class?

the article also mentions some firms are using the windfall to pay severance packages and buyouts, i.e. cut jobs, but doesn't include any numbers with that statement.
__________________
"Everything pretty much BLOWS right now."
- original
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 11:49 AM   #15
Gulo Blue   Gulo Blue is offline
Senior Member
 
Gulo Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 7,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinselwolverine View Post
Teleprompter Trump made a typical speech that one would expect from a moderate republican president.

Twitter troll Trump just says crazy shit.

I would rather this president stay on Teleprompter mode for as long as he is in office.
__________________
Don't blame me; I voted for Kodos.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 12:05 PM   #16
biggunsbob   biggunsbob is online now
Moderator
 
biggunsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Byron Center, Michigan
Posts: 56,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdalton22 View Post
the good news is my paycheck is a little larger thanks to the new tax bill :)
My wife's check didn't go up, and neither did mine. But those millionaires and billionaires sure did take in a tidy ball. Make sure you include who really got the big money. Sad that a habitual liar on a scale never seen before can get away with what he is doing for future generations.

Goo on National debt.
Who cares thats 7 years down the road when we can blame democrats again . It's sad that the debt was covered under Bill Clinton but EVERY Christian Republican in the land wanted him impeached because of blow jobs , and yet 131,000 payoff from thge ll liar in charge doesn't even move the needle on you clown Hypocrites on the right.

Gop
Clean air and water
"Fuck you"

Gop
Corporations are peopke.
"Hey fuck off".

Gop
Let's spend more on the military then every other country in the world combined instead of educating the populace .

" Hey Gop fuck off ": !!!!

Lying piece of shit party can go to hell....
__________________
JIM
Play Peters !!!!!
WE NEED LINEMEN !!!!!! WE NEED LINEBACKERS!!!!! WE NEED BETTER CORDINATORS!!!! PLEASE START COACHING BETTER! !!!
FIND A DAMN RUNNING BACK!
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 12:07 PM   #17
turok   turok is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsbob View Post
What Happened To All Ten Jobs Trump Promised ?

https://projects.propublica.org/grap...p-job-promises
Jobs are created as a result of increased consumer and/or business demand for a product or service. Not as a result of lip-service given by Republican office-holders.

Tax-cuts are more likely invested in decreasing overhead through automation, robotics, and AI, and I have personally experienced job loss, missed out on advancement opportunities, or had hours worked/pay-cuts as a result of the above more than a few times over the past 40+ years.
__________________

  Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 12:17 PM   #18
tomdalton22   tomdalton22 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 15,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsbob View Post
My wife's check didn't go up, and neither did mine.
the new withholding tables didn't come out until Jan 11. Maybe you haven't been paid yet. The company you work for is supposed to be using the new tables. Now, if you are so worried about the debt and taxes being too low you are allowed to pay more.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 12:27 PM   #19
turok   turok is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,069
Eric Trump complained on Wednesday on Faux and Fiends that Democrats in Congress did not applaud enough during President Donald Trump’s State of the Union address — and he said that Democrats had a duty to clap when Christianity was mentioned because Americans should be “united on God.”

Apparently the fact that Eric the fruit-bat's sister converted to her husband Jered's Judaism, and that one of his dear old daddy's inner circle advisors in Stephen Miller is Jewish was utterly lost on him.
__________________

  Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 12:33 PM   #20
tigermud   tigermud is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 20,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsbob View Post
My wife's check didn't go up, and neither did mine.
It starts in Feb bob, next one or the one after that should reflect.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Top      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.