Go Back   DetroitSportsForum > Off topic > Diggler's Junk > Politics
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2018, 12:02 PM   #21
tinselwolverine   tinselwolverine is online now
Moderator
 
tinselwolverine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 19,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanmack View Post
because conservative = dictator. except, aren't most of those dictators socialists or communists. oops.
Not really.

The Saudi Royal family ain't really commie.

A lot of banana Republic dictators that the US propped up for decades - under administrations of both political parties - are gone, but none of the ones we propped up were commies.
__________________
Go Blue!

"When you look for the bad in mankind, expecting to find it, you surely will." - Pollyanna



Login or Register to Remove Ads
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:06 PM   #22
tinselwolverine   tinselwolverine is online now
Moderator
 
tinselwolverine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 19,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by michchamp View Post
I'm pretty sure there have been dictator's throughout human history, long before "socialism" or Karl Marx existed.

Also, have u ever heard of Mussolini? Adolf Hitler? Franco? What about all the fascists we put in power, often overthrowing democratically elected governments to do so? Iran's shah? Batista? Somoza? Pinochet? Gee, pretty much most leaders in Central and South America going back to 1890?
Oh shit. Yeah, a lot of these are what I was referring to in post #21.

Both major parties.

One of the main reasons I'm libertarian.
__________________
Go Blue!

"When you look for the bad in mankind, expecting to find it, you surely will." - Pollyanna
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:19 PM   #23
turok   turok is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanmack View Post
because conservative = dictator. except, aren't most of those dictators socialists or communists. oops.
The 21st century isn't the same as the 20th, and 2 bit dictators know no particular ideology, belief, or party.
__________________

  Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:24 PM   #24
tinselwolverine   tinselwolverine is online now
Moderator
 
tinselwolverine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 19,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinselwolverine View Post
Oh shit. Yeah, a lot of these are what I was referring to in post #21.

Both major parties.

One of the main reasons I'm libertarian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turok View Post
The 21st century isn't the same as the 20th, and 2 bit dictators know no particular ideology, belief, or party.
If I was a 2 bit dictator, all I would do would be to just fuck and eat.

Sleep now and then and use the powder room from time to time.

It would be the same in whatever century it was.
__________________
Go Blue!

"When you look for the bad in mankind, expecting to find it, you surely will." - Pollyanna
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:18 PM   #25
michchamp   michchamp is offline
Senior Member
 
michchamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: burning down the South
Posts: 22,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinselwolverine View Post
If I was a 2 bit dictator, all I would do would be to just fuck and eat.

Sleep now and then and use the powder room from time to time.

It would be the same in whatever century it was.
gotta be willing to lift a finger once and a while to preserve your power. otherwise your daily orgies and gorging yourself won't last long.

either curry favor with large US multinationals, become popular with your populace, or give the army rank and file and brass enough baubles and trinkets to keep them happy.
__________________
"Everything pretty much BLOWS right now."
- original
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:33 PM   #26
tinselwolverine   tinselwolverine is online now
Moderator
 
tinselwolverine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 19,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by michchamp View Post
gotta be willing to lift a finger once and a while to preserve your power. otherwise your daily orgies and gorging yourself won't last long.

either curry favor with large US multinationals, become popular with your populace, or give the army rank and file and brass enough baubles and trinkets to keep them happy.
The head of state doppelgänger theme goes back to the beginning of story telling.

In Moon Over Parador, Richard Dreyfuss plays a guy who is literally offered the job of dictator of a banana republic.
__________________
Go Blue!

"When you look for the bad in mankind, expecting to find it, you surely will." - Pollyanna
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 05:41 PM   #27
Spartanmack   Spartanmack is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: New York
Posts: 6,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by michchamp View Post
or North Korea, Iraq under Hussein, China under Mao, the USSR under Stalin...
I guess you also missed the point - Trump specifically mentioned Bastille Day (that's in France) as the inspiration for this idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michchamp View Post
I'm pretty sure there have been dictator's throughout human history, long before "socialism" or Karl Marx existed.

Also, have u ever heard of Mussolini? Adolf Hitler? Franco? What about all the fascists we put in power, often overthrowing democratically elected governments to do so? Iran's shah? Batista? Somoza? Pinochet? Gee, pretty much most leaders in Central and South America going back to 1890?
There have been dictators before your beloved Karl Marx existed but he didn't invent the philosophy. Ever heard of Bolivarian Socialism? Here's a list of early socialist thinkers I'm surprised you seem to not be aware of.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-Marx_socialists

And I have heard of Mussolini, Adolf Hitler, Franco, the Shah, etc but in case you weren't aware, those weren't Banana Republics - did you maybe think Banana Republic was just a clothing store? I guess that can be confusing for some. And by the way, the fascist movement sprang from labor parties, not right wing conservatives - they're a lot more aligned with socialism than they are with capitalism. You knew that, right?

In case you missed the context (not surprising since you obviously whiffed on just about everything else) I'm talking about current/recent dictators - they're all socialists or communists - Castros, Chavez, Maduro, Ortega. Do we even know if Pinochet was big on military parades - wouldn't surprise me given his background but again, not all that relevant.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 05:47 PM   #28
Spartanmack   Spartanmack is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: New York
Posts: 6,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by turok View Post
The 21st century isn't the same as the 20th, and 2 bit dictators know no particular ideology, belief, or party.
the one's currently running those banana republics do - or are those the "no true Scotsmen" socialist dicatators?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 05:49 PM   #29
Spartanmack   Spartanmack is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: New York
Posts: 6,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinselwolverine View Post
The head of state doppelgänger theme goes back to the beginning of story telling.

In Moon Over Parador, Richard Dreyfuss plays a guy who is literally offered the job of dictator of a banana republic.
doesn't Woody Allen accidentally become dictator of some South American country in one of his movies? Are we still allowed to talk about Woody Allen with the whole #metoo thing going on?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 03:14 PM   #30
Spartanmack   Spartanmack is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: New York
Posts: 6,964
How come we no get thread 3 year ago when schumer want parade?


Last edited by Spartanmack; 02-10-2018 at 03:15 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Top      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.