Go Back   DetroitSportsForum > Sports > Michigan State Spartans

Old 02-07-2018, 09:28 AM   #21

Izzo said the team will have today off. I see it all across the Big Ten, not just us, but this schedule is murder.

That being said, this team has not improved like we expected, they seem to lack purpose and confidence. Worst 23-3 team in the country :) Let's see what happens Saturday, I'd guess we'll be a 2-3 point underdog.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-07-2018, 10:27 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny2x2x View Post
5th game in 12 days. We were bad, but damned if we donít seem to get every teamís best shot. We have 3 days rest before Purdue. Hope we play well Saturday or we will lose.
Jaren Jackson was sick, missed practice on Monday
Old 02-07-2018, 11:42 AM   #23

It seems like this group, on the road at least, lacks a killer instinct. There were plenty of opportunities to put IU and Iowa away early, but they kept those teams in the games to the point where it almost burned them
Old 02-07-2018, 02:26 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny2x2x View Post
5th game in 12 days. We were bad, but damned if we donít seem to get every teamís best shot. We have 3 days rest before Purdue. Hope we play well Saturday or we will lose.
do we? I've been wondering about this for a while now. We've been saying/hearing that for the last year or so and I believed it as much as anyone. But lately I'm not so sure. Maybe we do face a little extra effort but we also do things that allow teams to have their best nights. The defense was awful last night. During the holiday stretch the defense looked unreal completely shutting down bad teams and even some supposedly good ones like UNC and ND. now we're letting a basement dweller hang 90+ on us.

If it is that we're getting everyone's best shot, with the way this defense is playing that's gonna be a problem when we play purdue, villanova, dook, xavier, etc because if we play like that against any of those teams on their best night, we'll get destroyed.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:05 PM   #25

This team, despite some good overall numbers defensively, is too dependent on JJJ and his rim protection. When he went out with fouls in the first half, Iowa started to score and gain confidence, setting the stage for the second half. Everyone else got murdered in the post.

Izzo also decided to play chicken yet again with the lineup taking Winston out for 9 minutes because he "didn't like his body language" while Ward and Jackson were already on the bench.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:56 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUMatt28 View Post
It seems like this group, on the road at least, lacks a killer instinct. There were plenty of opportunities to put IU and Iowa away early, but they kept those teams in the games to the point where it almost burned them
Seems like they're too nice of a group, they need some assholes on this team who want to just put their foot on peoples throat, play a little dirty, get a T from time to time, be cold hearted. I've seen that a little bit from ward but that's it
Old 02-07-2018, 07:27 PM   #27

This was one of the most explosive MSU teams ive ever seen up until the 2nd B10 game. then some other team started showing upto games that I had never seen before. Since then we are a decent, turnover laden team. Scraping by a few lackluster B10 teams by 6 -8 points over and over. Not to mention going down to the wire twice against rutgers when they are routinly getting smoked by everyone else. baffling to say the least. These softies arent going to win any trophies this year. Shame....
Old 02-07-2018, 10:52 PM   #28

Well, we'll be facing an angry Purdue team now Saturday. Big time win for OSU to go in there and pull that off.

If we win Saturday the Big Ten race is suddenly up for grabs because I still see a potential loss or two on OSU's schedule.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:25 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUMatt28 View Post
Well, we'll be facing an angry Purdue team now Saturday. Big time win for OSU to go in there and pull that off.

If we win Saturday the Big Ten race is suddenly up for grabs because I still see a potential loss or two on OSU's schedule.
maybe they could lose at Michigan but I don't see them dropping any other games into the stretch. At PSU may be questionable considering they lost to them at home but I don't see lightning striking twice there. And aren't they in the driver's seat now, with the tiebreaker against Purdue? I don't know the order of tiebreakers but I assume head to head comes before overall schedule - is that not correct? If it is correct then they win the B1G by winning out - that's gotta be a big motivating factor?

What's the order of tiebreakers for a 3 way tie assuming we beat PU and OSU drops one more?

Last edited by Spartanmack; 02-08-2018 at 10:27 AM.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:44 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanmack View Post
maybe they could lose at Michigan but I don't see them dropping any other games into the stretch. At PSU may be questionable considering they lost to them at home but I don't see lightning striking twice there. And aren't they in the driver's seat now, with the tiebreaker against Purdue? I don't know the order of tiebreakers but I assume head to head comes before overall schedule - is that not correct? If it is correct then they win the B1G by winning out - that's gotta be a big motivating factor?

What's the order of tiebreakers for a 3 way tie assuming we beat PU and OSU drops one more?
The Big Ten doesn't do tie breakers for the Big Ten Title, it would be a 3 way tie for the regular season crown.

For the Tourney seeding it would be OSU #1, MSU #2, and Purdue #3 based on head to head.