Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

China trying to move away from coal

China's coal use fell again in 2016 and solar capacity rose 82% in 2016.

http://www.climatechangenews.com/20...ll-again-in-2016-solar-capacity-increased-82/

This is not an excuse. America should lead the way in clean energy. . . . and actually my current job lives and dies with it, but I really think China is being forced into it. I have first hand knowledge, and have actually seen pollution thicker than fog there in many of the big cities.

China's pollution problem.

This is not an excuse. America should lead the way in clean energy. . . . and actually my current job lives and dies with it, but I really think China is being forced into it. I have first hand knowledge, and have actually seen pollution thicker than fog there in many of the big cities.

Oh, their hand is absolutely being forced. Their cities look AWFUL. It's sad that countries wait until things get awful before fixing the problem.

More reason for countries like the United States that have the means to nip these issues before they become problems like in those images to do so.

Yeah I agree China is being forced into it with the quality of thier air and such but that is no reason why United States should not be leading this change. Heck internal memos from ExxonMobil proved they knew about climate change Years ago. Exxon's was a prime player in the decit from this industry but they are all culpable. We would be so much healthier as a nation if we just had the political will to change.

Last edited:

Btw . I think it is really cool that you current job is doing this.

Btw . I think it is really cool that you current job is doing this.

I could have been more specific. I write software used to run power plants, but lately our largest customers are building wind farms, solar panels, and other renewable energy. Also natural gas and nuclear power - but both of those have significant problems of their own in the form of their own pollutants. My company provides power from generation and distribution all the way through to consumers in countries all over the world.

My job depends on trying to make those power supply companies like Entergy, Duke etc. (US), EDF (France and UK) and CNNC (China) a profit no matter which power plants they are building. So, full disclosure, certainly not a saint, but renewables are going to be our future - the companies that position themselves to provide for that will be the next IBMs and GEs.

I would be lying, though, if I didn't acknowledge that it is always about the money. I pretty much doubt that even Tesla is doing their thing to be altruistic.

And so you know my opinion. It doesn't take a denier or a tree hugger to recognize this basic fact. Polluting = bad. Not polluting = good. We can all do our part.

I could have been more specific. I write software used to run power plants, but lately our largest customers are building wind farms, solar panels, and other renewable energy. Also natural gas and nuclear power - but both of those have significant problems of their own in the form of their own pollutants. My company provides power from generation and distribution all the way through to consumers in countries all over the world.

My job depends on trying to make those power supply companies like Entergy, Duke etc. (US), EDF (France and UK) and CNNC (China) a profit no matter which power plants they are building. So, full disclosure, certainly not a saint, but renewables are going to be our future - the companies that position themselves to provide for that will be the next IBMs and GEs.

I would be lying, though, if I didn't acknowledge that it is always about the money. I pretty much doubt that even Tesla is doing their thing to be altruistic.

And so you know my opinion. It doesn't take a denier or a tree hugger to recognize this basic fact. Polluting = bad. Not polluting = good. We can all do our part.

The sooner we started the better the future will be and the better the technology will be because as you said there are still pollution problem with renewables albeit nowhere near as bad as the petroleum, and cattle, aggro, ect,ect . SADLY This new admistration has sent a clear message they do not give a shit about the environment. Me and my wife are doing are best even though it's a small part. Keep up the good work. Eventually renewables will work !!!

Back