Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 78 Tigers vs. royals June 29, 2017

Which is, IMO, what BA should have done. Get the guy out with a 7-0 cushion on 67 pitches. These situations do not grow on trees. If the BP can't get six outs and secure the game, that's a different problem.

I guess my main point is that no matter what decision was made there would be a number of people that would be second guessing it.

I guess my main point is that no matter what decision was made there would be a number of people that would be second guessing it.

My main point is that Ausmus, a former catcher, apparently still has not acquired the skill of managing a pitching staff. "I wanted to see [Fulmer] to go nine innings..." That's not how a competent manager thinks.

FULMER STILL SOLID IN WIN.
RHP Michael Fulmer was one out away from a shutout before surrendering three runs in Thursday's win over the Royals, marking the first time since July 1994 a pitcher surrendered three or more runs after throwing 8 2/3 shutout innings with the bases empty facing the final out.
Fulmer also extended his homerless-inning streak to 73 2/3, the longest current streak by any major leaguer and the longest overall since 2015. (Elias Sports Bureau)

My main point is that Ausmus, a former catcher, apparently still has not acquired the skill of managing a pitching staff. "I wanted to see [Fulmer] to go nine innings..." That's not how a competent manager thinks.

I think you would be surprised. My guess is most starting pitchers would like a manager that lets them try to finish out the game.

Like I said...there would be people bitching if he took him out after 67 pitches too....probably more than how it played out.

There's always a point of when to pull the SP. I think many managers leave a guy in to try to get 9 innings.. Closer game and he's probably out earlier but in a blowout it seemed fine.

Back