Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 85 Tigers vs. indians July 7, 2017

This team sucks. JV going against the Indians tonight. Could be another bloodbath.

JV vs the Indians this year

1-2, 14 1/3 IP, 11.3 ERA, 2.23 WHIP

He might have 3 more starts before the trade deadline. He needs 3 great starts to get someone interested in him.

Those are some pretty eye opening numbers they have against him, it does make one wonder if they have something on him or not. If so I think it at least goes back at to last year as well. They are all worried about sign stealing and pitch tipping but I wonder if it might be something more simple than that like maybe something he is doing before setting up on the mound or after he throws a pitch in prep for the next one before he's even on the mound.

idk i'm just thinking they must be picking something up from him, probably something so simple and stupid nobody can spot it. i'll try and watch him close tonight and see if I can spot anything stupid.

Last edited:
the goal is to trade his contract and get prospects to help re-stock the farm system. He only has 2 year left. The Tigers will not be in contention during that time frame. The more prospects they have, the better position they will be in down the road.

He can have 3 years left on his contract.

You don't get it because of your disdain for him and Miggy. Al Avila is still the GM. Al Avila is NOT going to be on the good side of a trade. He is a moron. So even if Verlander is traded as you suggest, they will not get anything of value in return. And no one is going to convince me otherwise.

In the meantime, DET still has to put fans in the stands and maintain their viewership. Their contract with Fox Sports runs through this year. I am sure trading Verlander and/or Cabrera will help get the most money when the renegotiate that next deal. Nope, their value is greater staying with the team. They may be go into years of losing, but having Verlander and/or Cabrera will help maintain the fan base. Trading either will just lower that base and thus the value.

He can have 3 years left on his contract.

You don't get it because of your disdain for him and Miggy. Al Avila is still the GM. Al Avila is NOT going to be on the good side of a trade. He is a moron. So even if Verlander is traded as you suggest, they will not get anything of value in return. And no one is going to convince me otherwise.

In the meantime, DET still has to put fans in the stands and maintain their viewership. Their contract with Fox Sports runs through this year. I am sure trading Verlander and/or Cabrera will help get the most money when the renegotiate that next deal. Nope, their value is greater staying with the team. They may be go into years of losing, but having Verlander and/or Cabrera will help maintain the fan base. Trading either will just lower that base and thus the value.

I don't have "distdain" for either of them. The only way JV has 3 years left is if he finishes top 5 in the CY voting in 2019. That is a HUGE long shot.

As far as putting butts in the seats and viewership...they are losing both with JV. I don't see people running to buy tickets for JV games. Also, Miggy isn't going anywhere...nobody will take on that albatross of a contract.

I don't have "distdain" for either of them. The only way JV has 3 years left is if he finishes top 5 in the CY voting in 2019. That is a HUGE long shot.

As far as putting butts in the seats and viewership...they are losing both with JV. I don't see people running to buy tickets for JV games. Also, Miggy isn't going anywhere...nobody will take on that albatross of a contract.

That my friend is disdain.

The team sucks right now because the 2 high salary guys are having down years by their standards. Offense, Pitching Starting and Bullpen, Defense, all not working together. When one these works the others don't. Game after Game.
Tom has bitched about high salaried players for years.
Al Avila is not a smart GM, that is something I think we can all agree on.

If he does trade JV, he will not get anything near value for him.
1. down year for Verlander.
2. He will probably get screwed settling for lower tier prospects.
These prospects will not see the Tigers for a couple of years.
Who will take JV's spot in the rotation?
3. High percentage of the Fan base will be very upset.
4. Attendance lower this year, will drop more, and fuck up the tv contract less money.

Some people, at times like this, when the team for varied reasons of lack of performance, injuries, bad managing and bad coaching, want the high priced players to get moved. Then you have weaker talent, AAAA players in the place of the down year stars, and those same people usually are bitching because the TEAM SUCKS MORE.
Does anyone with a half a brain really think Al Avila will get any players that will help the Tigers in 1 year??
Don't waste my time or anyone else by cherry picking any single item stated here.

Sadly for me, and any other guys here who don't want to see Verlander traded, the more I read everywhere that I post the info here, and info from twitter about how the Tigers have traded or let go pitchers in the past history with 9 to 12/13 years with the team is something that seems to be their modus operandi.
Bunning gone traded after 9 years, Lolich gone traded after 12/13 years,
Morris let go after 12/13 years, which iirc amounted to collusion of owners.
also pitchers, Lary, Petry, McLain for outside reasons,

If Mr. Ilitch swallowed his pride instead of cutting off his nose to spite his face, Scherzer would still be here pitching and the Tigers would still have their Mojo.

I am starting to expect the worst.

JV and Miggy matter a lot and not just seats.. The one thing st rading and free agency does.. as a child watching your favorite year after year and then bam, they're gone. Trust me that matters.. Imo it's one of the higher reasons kids aren't involved as much. Just one example. How do you get a fan base when you trade the best long term players when faced with a tough season.. If I have one game to watch I'll make sure it's a JV game..

Back