Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

*Official UM Hoops Thread*

Sorry, I misspoke/misstyped whatever, Cam Johnson is going from Pitt to UNC...

The quote from the mgoblog article talking about scheduling reminded me...the Big Ten Tournament is going to be played two weeks before the NCAA Tournament just so it can be played in NYC. What the fuck is up with that!

The quote from the mgoblog article talking about scheduling reminded me...the Big Ten Tournament is going to be played two weeks before the NCAA Tournament just so it can be played in NYC. What the fuck is up with that!

It's Jim Delaney being the giant douche canoe that he is.

Fuck Madison Square Garden. It might be "The Mecca" of basketball, but it is a dump inside.

Rutgers and Maryland.

Rutgers and Maryland.

Rutgers. The tournament was in DC this year to appease Maryland (or whatever the heck Delaney is trying to accomplish). I don't have a huge problem with playing in DC or NY on the rare occasion, but when it puts the NCAA Tournament teams at a competitive disadvantage, that's just ridiculous.

Playing anywhere for Rutgers is the dumbest idea ever. How many basketball fans do they have? 12?

It's Jim Delaney being the giant douche canoe that he is.

Fuck Madison Square Garden. It might be "The Mecca" of basketball, but it is a dump inside.

Yes same reason it was in DC last year and no one there in person
Delaney trying to spread for eastern schools....

Keep it in the Midwest where the schools are

I hope they can play at little,Caesars arena one year

Last edited:
Yes same reason it was in DC last year and no one there in person
Delaney trying to spread for eastern schools....

Keep it in the Midwest where the schools are

I hope they can play at little,Caesars arena one year
I do hope they play in Detroit one year. I'll drive up from Indy for that. I'd like to check out the new arena and that would be the perfect way.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Some info on Eli Brooks.....

Spoke recently with Tony Sagona, CEO Jersey Shore Warriors, about his pupil.

Coach as among the 3 incoming basketball recruits, UM bball fans know less and have more questions about Eli. Can you first talk a little bit about your AAU program and how Eli landed with you?

Sagona: "Been involved with the The Jersey Shore program for over 27 years. Have had over 400 of our alums go on to play ball in college; at least 4 have played in the NBA. Matt Carroll, Troy Murphy, Darrun Hillard, Aaron Gray. These 4 were really good players with us so not surprising they made it to the league. We are mostly comprised of players from S Jersey and Pennsylvania. And most of the players who end up playing for us come to us based on our reputation in the AAU community. Eli's dad, who is a great coach, assisted in getting Eli directed to us. And he has been with us for about 2.5 years."

Were you involved with Eli connecting with UM?

Sagona: “Yes, I called coach Beilein who I’ve known for many years and told him I have a guy he might be interested in. He came over to see Eli about three days later. I have a lot of respect for and really like John Beilein.

For a while AAU programs have come with a bad reputation. Players on the take, dirty coaches etc. Is the reputation deserved?

Sagona: “In some cases probably so. But we aren’t a program that is sponsored by a shoe company, which I think is the source of many of the ills. Now should we be sponsored by one? Sure, but we choose to rely on private donations to fund our operations. Our alums are really good at giving back. And as a result, we get a different kind of kid, who isn’t particularly chasing shoes and gear.”

“In many ways we are a system program like UM. What I mean by system is we don’t do the run and gun, up and down stuff you see many AAU teams do. We do a lot of passing and cutting. We try to creates shots with our movements.”

You said Eli came to you just short of 3 years ago, how has his game developed during that time and could you describe his game because frankly there hasn’t been much provided that would give a hard core bball fan like me legit insight into his capabilities?

Sagona:“360 degrees (believe he meant 180). He has always been a good shooter, now he is a great shooter. In fact coach Beilein called me recently saying that he hadn’t realized how good a shooter Eli was. He’s gotten bigger and stronger since he’s been with us.He’s around 6’1-6’2’ and can dunk it with ease…off the bounce. “

Glad you mentioned that because how good an athlete he is was a big question mark. Maybe it’s the hairstyle.

Sagona: “It shouldn’t be. Lets put it this way, he has legit off the dribble blow-by skills. Probably the best I’ve ever had come through my program. And his handles are exceptional. Protects the ball really well, no flaws in his dribbling game. Never gets sloppy with it, even against bad teams.”

Can he distribute? Can he lead a team?

Sagona: “Team was 47-3 with Eli (two losses by a single point). So yeah, he can lead. Not a guy who defers to anyone under any circumstance. Taylor Funk is a wing on our team who is heading to St. Joe though he could have gone to a program with a higher profile. 3/4ths of Eli’s passes were to set up Taylor for a spot up shot.”

Eli popped up late on my radar. Once he did I tried to gather as much intel on his as possible. That included contacting some Villanova media types. They were confident Eli would end up at Nova. Was that sentiment accurate?

Sagona: “Yeah probably, Villanova was strong with him for a while. They have great coaches and do a real nice job with their guards. And though Eli had over 40 offers he eventually narrowed it down to UM and Villanova. I think the difference for him was him wanting to do his own thing, get a way a little bit. UM did a really nice job recruiting this kid. He became real comfortable with coach Beilein.”

Sam Webb has a gut feeling that the UM coaches think they're in the lead for Ignas Brazdeikis, who will be visiting sometime within the next month. Not the same as a gut feeling that he'll pick Michigan, but I'll take it!

According to MGoBlog, Drake Harris is going to be playing basketball. Football hasn't worked out so great for him and he was a coveted basketball recruit. Could be interesting!

Last edited:
According to MGoBlog, Drake Harris is going to be playing basketball. Football hasn't worked out so great for him and he was a coveted basketball recruit. Could be interesting!

Wow. I was wondering if this would happen. Surprised it took so long.

Wonder if he'll have more of an impact than Tai Streets did. Having two years would help the cause. Plus I'm not sure if Streets was ever thought to be that great of a bball prospect.

Back