Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

John Oliver - Church scams/Tax law

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/17/entertainment/john-oliver-last-week-tonight-feat/

John Oliver forms his own church and just keeps on winning

By*Lisa Respers France, CNN

Updated 12:03 PM ET, Mon August 17, 2015

John Oliver rips televangelists*02:00

Story highlightsOliver took on televangelists on his showHe started his own church: Our Lady of Perpetual Exemption

(CNN)John Oliver has blessed his audience.

On Sunday night, the "Last Week Tonight" host took on televangelists who he says are raking in donations to fund lavish lifestyles. He then eviscerated those he says are taking advantage of donors and the tax exemptions offered to churches.

Oliver made it clear that he was not attacking all houses of worship, as he said, "Churches are a cornerstone of American life."

"There are roughly 350,000 congregations in the United States, and many of them do great work, feeding the hungry, clothing the poor," the British comedian said. "But this is not a story about them."

Oliver discussed ministers like the Atlanta area's Creflo Dollar,*who made news this spring*by asking for donations to buy a $65 million Gulfstream jet. The host then took it one step further by forming his own church: Our Lady of Perpetual Exemption.

Appearing with "Sister Wanda Jo Oliver" (Rachel Dratch of "SNL" fame), Oliver asked viewers to chip in for his new church.

The mission statement*on the church's website*says, "When John Oliver found out that Robert Tilton, Kenneth Copeland, and other pastors of their ilk have been taking advantage of the open-ended IRS definition of 'church' and procuring a litany of tax breaks, he founded the Our Lady of Perpetual Exemption Church, a tax-exempt organization you certainly can't say is not a church."

I saw.

It's sad how these vultures prey on elderly, sick, and simple people who often cannot afford the "seed" they end up sending. It made me a little sick when the one guy said if you're in credit card debt, send them $1000 from that credit card and god will wipe out the debt.

I think tax exemptions for religious groups need to be reworked. Pronto.

I saw.

It's sad how these vultures prey on elderly, sick, and simple people who often cannot afford the "seed" they end up sending. It made me a little sick when the one guy said if you're in credit card debt, send them $1000 from that credit card and god will wipe out the debt.

I think tax exemptions for religious groups need to be reworked. Pronto.

My thing is, leave the smaller churches alone. The bigger ones that are headed by millionaires need to be called out for what they are - frauds and for profit.

The show was freaking brilliant as always.. I just cannot believe we as a nation would tolerate those types of churches.. The tax exempt loop holes for these televangelists should be closed.. Man I would love to freaking rob these guys and give the seed money back.. These are some awful human beings...

Last edited:
The show was freaking brilliant as always.. I just cannot believe we as a nation would tolerate those types of churches.. The tax exempt loop holes for these televangelists should be closed.. Man I would love to freaking rob these guys and giver the seed money back.. These are some awful human beings...

They'd just end up getting richer after.

My thing is, leave the smaller churches alone. The bigger ones that are headed by millionaires need to be called out for what they are - frauds and for profit.

But you can't have 2 sets of rules. One for big and one for little.

What they need to do is examine each churches income and evaluate how much is used for legit non-profit stuff, like food banks, soup kitchens, shelters, legal aid, etc. If the income beyond that is over a certain % of what would be required for normal maintenance and upkeep of the day to day operations, the rest should be taxed heavily.

Beyond that, not only is it highly unethical (religion is never unethical though *snicker*) to tell people that their standing with god depends on the amount of money they give, but it's damn near fraud.

And I'm a well documented atheist around here, but it all reminds me of a pic I saw once on some other forum:

its-all-i-ever-wanted.jpg

A simple concept but so many Christians forget that, and think it's all about how much money you give, what party you vote for, your beliefs on birth control, guns, patriotism, etc.

But you can't have 2 sets of rules. One for big and one for little.

What they need to do is examine each churches income and evaluate how much is used for legit non-profit stuff, like food banks, soup kitchens, shelters, legal aid, etc. If the income beyond that is over a certain % of what would be required for normal maintenance and upkeep of the day to day operations, the rest should be taxed heavily.

Beyond that, not only is it highly unethical (religion is never unethical though *snicker*) to tell people that their standing with god depends on the amount of money they give, but it's damn near fraud.

And I'm a well documented atheist around here, but it all reminds me of a pic I saw once on some other forum:

its-all-i-ever-wanted.jpg

A simple concept but so many Christians forget that, and think it's all about how much money you give, what party you vote for, your beliefs on birth control, guns, patriotism, etc.

That's kind of what I meant, but I went with the simple response. Well done.

This bandwagon isn't just for atheists. These guys makes us (religious) all look bad by association.

I cannot account for the misuse of the promise of eternal life, or for the uninformed and gullible who misinterpret its meaning and significance.

Creflo Dollar responds

If you don't see why I need a $65 million plane, you just don't get the bible

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friend...65-million-plane-you-just-dont-get-the-bible/

Wow. And what is crazy is that this whole thing has done nothing but make him richer. It's okay to believe in God, even if I think it is a bit silly, but when you're making a MAN a millionaire because of your faith, it's hard to stay quiet. He doesn't need a private jet. Fly commercial! I doubt that Jesus would approve of his methods.

In my tiny village in Michigan, we had three churches compared to 250 population. None of the pastors made more money than the average resident and they were happy about it. I have no complaints there.

I wonder how these guys approach that bit where Christ flipped the tables of the people conducting business and lending money in the temple.

Back