Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Take Vmart out of cleanup

durtymrclean

The guy is turning the middle of the lineup into quicksand. Move him to the 6th spot.

Is this the last year on his contract? Age and injuries have caught up with him quickly.

No matter where you put Victor he's a log jam, but I agree he has to move down at least 1 spot right order. 3/4/5 right now should be Miggy/Upton/VMart. When JD is back it should be Miggy/JD/Upton/VMart. He's not the only slow guy in the line up but he is the slowest, that's forsure.

Nope. He deserves to be there (more than Upton). Besides, if this streak was in the middle of the season I doubt many would take notice.

Career line drives = 21.3%

2017 line drives = 31.0%

Meaning = he is putting good wood on the ball, but doesn't have the hits to show for it.

Prior to today's game, LD%

Avila = 60.0%
Castellanos = 36.4%
Cabrera = 33.3%
Collins = 31.6%
Jones = 31.3%
V. Martinez = 31.0%
McCann = 30.4%
Kinsler = 28.0%

Romine = 21.4%
Iglesias = 21.2%
Mahtook = 18.2%
Upton = 10.0%

I don't think I've ever seen a slower player my whole life. The problem is when he doesn't hit for extra base power or with RISP he is useless. It takes a double to score him from 2nd and a triple to score him from a single or walk.

Not sure I want him lower. I think I rather have him and miggy, both slow, on at the same time. More power behind with JD and Upton can bring them in. The bottom guys won't quite have that ability.. There will end up being a logjam there..

Not sure I want him lower. I think I rather have him and miggy, both slow, on at the same time. More power behind with JD and Upton can bring them in. The bottom guys won't quite have that ability.. There will end up being a logjam there..

Right now the bottom 3 guys have 7 of the 16 homeruns not updated, Tigers have 17. 20 of the 47 RBI's top 3 have16 45&6 have 14 there not doing there job?

I get exhausted hearing about the line drive stuff. Like Castellanos is getting some "rough luck" because he's hitting the ball hard but right to a player. Yeah, that's part of the game. I can do the same stuff with every other sport, but baseball is the only one that openly talks about it.

Right now the bottom 3 guys have 7 of the 16 homeruns not updated, Tigers have 17. 20 of the 47 RBI's top 3 have16 45&6 have 14 there not doing there job?

You can't count Avila, and McCann - but over time the HR hitters will be Miggy, Upton, Nick, and JD - Kinsler. Not Iggy or whoever bats 8th. And based on history not the C's either.

I get exhausted hearing about the line drive stuff. Like Castellanos is getting some "rough luck" because he's hitting the ball hard but right to a player. Yeah, that's part of the game. I can do the same stuff with every other sport, but baseball is the only one that openly talks about it.

So you don't think solid contact is s good thing?

Yeah it is, but I get annoyed hearing the broadcasters say, "He was 0/3, but two of those were hit hard." It doesn't matter. Outs are outs. I'd rather the guy go 2/3 with two garbage bloopers than hitting it hard to the opponent.

We can start getting into this with every sport. KCP was 1/8 from three, but three of those just rimmed out. Tough luck.

Yeah it is, but I get annoyed hearing the broadcasters say, "He was 0/3, but two of those were hit hard." It doesn't matter. Outs are outs. I'd rather the guy go 2/3 with two garbage bloopers than hitting it hard to the opponent.

We can start getting into this with every sport. KCP was 1/8 from three, but three of those just rimmed out. Tough luck.

The scenario you are describing is totally different.

Any hitter in baseball, is just hoping that the ball goes where someone is not...that's a hit. Sometimes even sluggers hit homerun type hits that get robbed by great leaping catches at the wall, should that not mean anything?

When someone is making solid contact, I don't think what broadcasters are saying is an excuse, because they don't need one. Make enough solid contact, and the hits will come.

Ok you guys will be pissed when Jup or JD hits a ball that looks like a triple with bases empty and vmart is standing on third at the end of the play and no runs scored.

It isn't the bat I'm afraid of. Vmart is on pace for 27 runs in 162 games. Id rather he hit in front of singles hitters and go station to station instead of doubles hitters going station to station, turning them into long singles.

Vmart only scores on homers is what I am saying. All 2 (TWO! IN THE 4 SPOT) have come off homers. no way is that sustainable. And dont blame the bottom of the lineup, that is probably the only reason why the Tigers are scoring in the first place.

It isn't the bat I'm afraid of. Vmart is on pace for 27 runs in 162 games. Id rather he hit in front of singles hitters and go station to station instead of doubles hitters going station to station, turning them into long singles.

After 2 weeks of games this projection seems totally logical.

After 2 weeks of games this projection seems totally logical.

Giving that bad a baserunner that many at-bats in front of our flyball/gap hitters is going to hurt the Tigers, in the long run, is all I'm saying. He'd probably be much more valuable in the 6 hole.

Last edited:

I hate to say it but there is logic to this station to station needs to be in front the single hitters. Trouble is right now more doubles are being hit in the lower third of the order. However in order to move Victor down, you have to move some one up. A restructure of the line up would/is needed.

1 Iglesias
2 Kinsler
3 Cabrera
4 J Martinez
5 Upton
6 Castellanos
7 Catcher
8 V Mart
9 center field
When all are healthy. Concern right now is Cabrera back. Should he be out team will have to step up every where.

Without Cabrera!
1 Iglesias
2 Kinsler
3 Castellanos
4 Upton
5 Collins
6 V Mart
7 Catcher
8 Centerfield
9 Romine 1B

Back