Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Name 3 guys you would keep

nsonnett14

Any 3 , regardless of age , contract whatever ...my 3 are

1) Fulmer
2) Norris
3) no clue , thats how sad this team is

Miggy
Alex Avila (not his dad)
Fulmer

Everyone else is on the table far as I'm concerned

Last edited:
I've been saying the last month,
keep Miggy, Verlander, and Fulmer.
Everybody else is open to trade discussion through player trades or coaches and manager being shitcanned.

Last edited:
If it regardless of contract

Miggy
JD
Fulmer

If we are taking age and contract and future into consideration

Fulmer
Norris
Miggy

I want Miggy to retire as a Tiger. I will turn a blind eye to his contract and whether he will perform up to it as the years go by. I also think Miggy would retire before the contract is up if he is just taking a roster spot and hitting .200

And now you know why no one is knocking down the door trying to get to these available, ever one on the table players!

JV, Miggy and Fulmer.. If I had to pick a 4th I'd have no idea who that might be.

It really bothers me to see not just here, but also at other Tigers news media and blogger sites the amount of Tigers fans who would want to see Justin Verlander traded.

The Tigers just might do that unfortunately, because in my lifetime and just before starting with Hal Newhouser's Tigers career, they have not had a great pitcher finish his career with the Tigers.

Go ahead and think about those pitchers, ok I will list them for you;
Newhouser, Bunning, Lolich, McLain, Morris, every one of them was traded, or not re-signed and unable to finish their career with the Tigers.
They were unable to become the all-time wins leader in Tigers history,
and become the first Tigers pitcher with 3,000 or more Strikeouts.

Justin Verlander has a good chance to be that pitcher in Tigers history.
Verlander has been with the team longer than any other player on the team since 2005, longer than Miggy.
JV has been facing the Number 1 starter of opposing teams for the better part of his career. That means going up against the ace of the opponent.
Many times, he leaves a game, for a no decision due to lack of run support, or leaves with the lead, only to have the bullpen blow it.

Verlander salary is high for a pitcher, well so are the salaries of other teams aces. Again, they are paid for what they have done, not the future, GM's and ownership know that in many instances a player will be paid alot on a contract that went a year longer than it should have. So don't go there....

After this season, the payroll drops, yes the payroll is still high for the 5 or 6 players on contract for 2018, but a significant drop from this and previous year(s).

Verlander and Miggy need to finish their careers as Tigers for the fan base,
and marketing, which includes ticket sales to see them as they get close, tie and pass team and mlb records, memorabilia of all sorts not just uniforms with their names on them.

I don't know how else to say/post it.
I want to see and hope Verlander stays a Tiger and passes old time Tigers pitcher and Ty Cobb's teammate, Hooks Dauss' (223) in career wins as a Tiger, and passes Mickey Lolich (2,679) in Strikeouts on his way to over 3,000 wearing the English D.

This could come as a shock. But Verlander has gotten on my trade list. His last outing has showed how bad of a leader he is. He fell apart over a bunt single in a 4-0 game his team NEEDED! That's what an ace does, he puts the team first! But no his (ME) no hitter/perfect game in his head first. O he broke up MY game with a bunt.

Hey Verlander you get paid very well to get outs. The last batter is history, the batter in the box is now and time to do your JOB.

What's wrong with this team is to many think they are so good that ever one should roll over and play dead so they can look great. It does not work that way.

Ever one needs to look in the mirror change there baby diaper, grow some, and come back the man that's getting paid great money to do the JOB they are paid to do! Stop crying about bad things it happens to ever one. Your paid to over come those bad things.
This is where ever one is wan baby failing the fans need to boo for bad play, Team players need to help one another no matter what kind of money there making, Manager and coaches need to put some fire in the 195+ million dollar mess, Big Al needs to find some fire, and the new Mr. I needs to do the barking. This team FAILS in so many ways in LEADERSHIP, coaching and over all managing. The biggest change needed is attitude, stop being cry babies. start beings doers! Start doing your job.

Last edited:
But Verlander has gotten on my trade list. His last outing has showed how bad of a leader he is. He fell apart over a bunt single in a 4-0 game his team NEEDED! That's what an ace does, he puts the team first! But no his (ME) no hitter/perfect game in his head first.

one f'n batter!!! his whole career, and you cherry pick one at bat??!!!??

Bye Felicia.

Honestly I can't even think of 3 guys I'd keep. To me anyone is movable for the right price. OP has it right I guess in Fulmer and Norris in my opinion. I can't even think of a third to keep. I'm grateful for all the memories JV and Miggy have provided us, but at the end of the day it's a business, and I want their salaries off the books so this team can truly hit a reset button and fully rebuild, so I would like to see them moved (nobody is trading for Miggy with his massive contract though). I think a contender would take JV and his contract to solidify the rotation for a playoff push.

I just cringe seeing some of these awful contracts (Miggy, Uptons is awful, Zimmermans whose is the single worst of the bunch, stuck with VMart another year) on baseball reference.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/DET/detroit-tigers-salaries-and-contracts.shtml

Last edited:
Kaline, if you want to do this thing right, you have to compile as many assets as humanely possible. Verlander is doing nothing for this team other than going out every 5th game, probably pitching well, and that's it. They are not going to the playoffs.

He is 34 years old, and probably is looking at 2-3 elite years left, at most. There is going to be a team or two that sees him as the last piece to a title and would give up some big farm pieces. I do not know the logistics of his trade details, but in my opinion, there are NO sacred cows on this team. Whatever they can do to get back and do this right, do it.

They're gonna have to trade JD. He is going to command the most return, and we need elite prospects to turn this ship around. Go back to basics with pitching and defense. We need to acquire more good young arms like Fulmer and Norris from two years ago. We were at our best when the rotation was full of elite talent. Need to make returning to that priority #1. You can win with an average to below average offense offset by great pitching.

I am completely open to trading Miggy and JV as well. The writing's been on the wall for a while that this team is no longer a contender. Losing Scherzer was the first domino to fall in that regard. We need to rip the band-aid off here.

3 guys I keep: Fulmer, Norris, and I guess Iglesias purely because he's a great defender up the middle which is important.

Miggy
JD
Fulmer

But JD is the only one who will bring potential return value to this team so he really needs to be traded. I'm fine with them getting rid of anyone though...although I'd like to see Miggy keep wearing a Tigers uni and I don't think they'd get any decent offers for him anyways with his contract.

I know I've said this before but what if Detroit traded Al Kaline? First, I would never have seen him in a Tigers uniform, 2nd and more importantly maybe he doesn't work in Detroit with TV and stay with the Tigers for years after. No 3000 hits here etc.

JV, and Miggy might not be having stud years but neither is the cause for us sucking so much. I expect both to bounce back huge next season because that's why guys like that do. People were hating on JV last season and he's Cy Young contender.. And if he's as bad as some of you say what would the returns be, a few dollars?

I want to see a great player start and finish his career in Detroit. And see those records break, same with Miggy. And people still go to games more because of those two.

We're not winning a WS without those two.. We might not win with them but I see no upside to trading either..

Last edited:
Plenty of players finish out their career on a 1 or 2 year deal with another team. We will never forget the contributions they made for Detroit, regardless of where they finish.

It is absolutely silly if you can get value for the future, but hang onto them for sentiment.

Plenty of players finish out their career on a 1 or 2 year deal with another team. We will never forget the contributions they made for Detroit, regardless of where they finish.

It is absolutely silly if you can get value for the future, but hang onto them for sentiment.

It's not the same. Let me ask you this.. What would we get in a trade and how does it make us contenders in the next 2-3 years?

Mitch, this team will not be a contender in 2-3 years. The fact that they have continued to try and kick the can down the road for this long has only continued to make the rebuild that much more painful.

That is just something you are going to have to accept. They are so filled with bloated contracts and veterans that are near the end. And the farm system is not ready to come back in and fix things anytime soon.

You start this process now, and understand that they won't be back where they used to be for AT LEAST another 5 years.

Back