Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers 2017 Season Debacle, trades, releases and fired thread

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/cabremi01.shtml#all_br-salaries
Miggy's salaries for 2018 to 2023, not counting the vesting options for last 2 years that vests if Cabrera finishes in the top ten of MVP voting.
So Tigers pay 10 million per and 60 Million total and other team assumes the rest which is 20 Million per '18 to '21 and 22 Million per for '22 and '23.
It would have to be an AL team, very surprised if it wasn't.

While I am no fan of ballclubs, whose ownership allows the farm and team to go to seed, I am of those who are stocking both with young talent, and teaching them plate discipline and defense/baserunning skills. The Tigers haven't had many young exciting players coming up through the system consistently since the late 70s. I also like flamethrowers...but we have had few who could do what maybe this kid Artie Lewicki can...mix-speed pitch in the low 90s-80s with success. I am intrigued and rooting for him from now on. Same with Candelario, Presley, Mahtook, ect...

While I am no fan of ballclubs, whose ownership allows the farm and team to go to seed, I am of those who are stocking both with young talent, and teaching them plate discipline and defense/baserunning skills. The Tigers haven't had many young exciting players coming up through the system consistently since the late 70s. I also like flamethrowers...but we have had few who could do what maybe this kid Artie Lewicki can...mix-speed pitch in the low 90s-80s with success. I am intrigued and rooting for him from now on. Same with Candelario, Presley, Mahtook, ect...

Young talent is fun to watch. Now what they need to do, during free agency is get those middling guys... Get some nice baseball players and quit signing bad contracts. And talk someone into taking Zimmerman off our hands.

I have felt that they will bring him back if it's only an extra $5M. Even @ $7M, it seems like a the obvious choice. He may be up for a trade at the deadline if he is playing very well and the Tigers are well out of it.

I don't see the point in keeping Kinsler just because it's an extra 5 mil. Unless you keep then trade. The plan should be Machado at 2B, keep Iggy at SS.

Hard is appropriate, considering that @ age 35, Kinsler has had one of his worst seasons @ the plate, and his homers mostly solo.

So what is he worth in trade?

A mediocre lefty RP?

Considering he's relatively cheap compared to others and he was good just the season before. I think he could get more than a mediocre RP.. Weather Avila can get us more remains the question.

Hence why Castellanos in the OF sucks. Odds are, it will be Stewart in LF and Castellanos in RF. That is some bad lateral movement in the OF.

I agree with this assessment.

Castellanos has a slow first step and slow reaction. This was certainly the case at third base, just dreadful. For every nice play, he was handcuffed on way too many to his left-right, and at him. Trouble diving for anything as most hit balls were by him while in half dive.
I just do not think going back and judging with timing the speed of a fly or line drive plus the trajectory of batted ball, I can see many balls over his head and taking loop and bad routes to balls going back to his left or right. Also think there will be many batted balls dropping in front of him. The former will lead to batters taking extra bases on batted balls to him. I would like to be positive on all this but am fearing a nightmare in RF, maybe not to the extent of his third base play, but still mediocre at best.
Kaline can help him all he can and Nick wants in RF in 2018 ST, he just has imo, a slow first step and reaction.
If the Tigers do trade Miggy, after all that has happened this second half in trades of key players, that is a possiblity, I would put him at DH. This provding Victor is also gone or playing less if he is able to come back with doctors approval.

Hard is appropriate, considering that @ age 35, Kinsler has had one of his worst seasons @ the plate, and his homers mostly solo.

So what is he worth in trade?

A mediocre lefty RP?

It's purely a cost saving tactic. He has a 5m buyout...so even if they trade him and have to send 2-3m they would be saving money. And they probably don't care if all they get in return is a bucket of used baseballs.

It's purely a cost saving tactic. He has a 5m buyout...so even if they trade him and have to send 2-3m they would be saving money. And they probably don't care if all they get in return is a bucket of used baseballs.

The team is mostly set for next season.

C McCann/Hicks/Possible resign Avila work him into another trade?
1B Cabrera get healthy/ Hicks
2b Kinsler move him to the 6 spot
3b Nick/new guy
ss Iglesais
LF ? Mahtook/Presley/ Free Agent? hold out for a 2019 prize!?.
CF ? Mahtook/Presley/Romine
RF ?Mahtook/Presley/Nick
DH V-Mart Doctor healthy!

It's the pitching that got to be fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Starters
Fulmer
Zimmerman
Boyd
Norris
Free agent There few without an * by there name.

Sanchez let go and wait, wait, and wait and resign him for a one year million deal

Bull pen !
Great is the need here. And few that Tigers haven't all ready had.
? A Wilson
? Green
? Stumpf
?
?
?
Closer
???????????????????????
Rondon/Jimenez/Green The 1st two have not been doing any and I ask why?
As one can see it's the pitching that needs the most help. And the free agents will ask a heap of money. Tigers have to try to build from within. And as we all have seen this has not been working.

3b Nick/new guy
ss Iglesais
RF ?Mahtook/Presley/Nick

Starters
Fulmer
Zimmerman
Boyd
Norris

Sanchez let go and wait, wait, and wait and resign him for a one year million deal

Bull pen !
? A Wilson
? Green
? Stumpf
?
?
?
Closer
???????????????????????
As one can see it's the pitching that needs the most help. And the free agents will ask a heap of money. Tigers have to try to build from within. And as we all have seen this has not been working.

It's simpler than that..

Miggy, Ian, Iggy and Candy in the IF. Nick, Mahtook and ? in the OF. C, McCann / Hicks.

Norris should not be a starter.. Zimmermann, since you're paying him anyway.. Might as well pay him to play on some other team. I'd release his ass..

BP is a mess.. less of a mess later on in season but still a mess. They need 4 new guys.

It would be a shock if Christin Stewart wasn't in LF next year. Otherwise, Mitch pretty much nailed what I expect. Possible that Kinsler or Iggy get moved this winter too. Which I'd assume just slots Machado into their spot.

3b Nick/new guy
ss Iglesais
RF ?Mahtook/Presley/Nick

Starters
Fulmer
Zimmerman
Boyd
Norris

Bull pen !
? A Wilson
? Green
? Stumpf
?
?
?
Closer
???????????????????????

NINE/NINETEEN/2017 A's 9 tigers8/wilson4. A Wilson can be remove for 2018. Shoot send them all packing. Braves sent there pen packing before there big run in the 90's, as I recall. Of course they did have some pen guys in there system! Tigers have what nothing.

Back