Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

OT: Mike Barwis

Whoa... you got me started!

But Hey hey don't say anything bad about Barwis... the former RichRod fans still hold him in high esteem, because he helped Brock Mealer walk again.

doing one nice thing for someone excuses everything bad you do, including being bad at your job apparently.

...but anyways... yeah, we were pretty injury prone during the RichRod years as well come to think about it. (always provided another useful Excuse for the Excuse Makers). And I remember comments from that one kicker who transferred to the MAC circa 2010. He said something about how his doctor told him the Barwis routine was ruining his back and after he dropped football and transferred said he was a lot healthier.

all the miraculous gains in strength and endurance Barwis' method was supposed to unlock never materialized. We were actually a weaker 2nd half team in his time than we were under Carr. like RichRod, Barwis was all marketing and self-promotion. no substance.

I cannot believe we had to endure 3 whole seasons of that bullshit.

https://www.rotowire.com/baseball/injuries-byteam.htm

Yeah, so every team deals with a ton of injuries. The Mets are not unique to this. If Barwis is doing something wrong so is the trainer for... basically every team. In fact, the Mets are kind of low on the list of the more lengthy injuries that other teams have.

Unfortunately, it happened to Syndergaard and Cespedes, so it will obviously get more pub. If the more serious injuries happened to lesser/role players, you would not hear a peep.

Stupid story.

Last edited:
Well sure, the Barwis thing didn't really work out but it's really tough to judge the job that RR did since UM wouldn't open up the pocketbooks for Casteel.

Well sure, the Barwis thing didn't really work out but it's really tough to judge the job that RR did since UM wouldn't open up the pocketbooks for Casteel.

oddly enough, RichRod never brought Barwis to UA.

he did bring Casteel though.

conan.jpg

Jim Harbaugh and his staff will have Michigan playing so well that no Michigan fan will give a shit about talking about Rich Rod and his former staff.

In the year 2000!!!!!

oddly enough, RichRod never brought Barwis to UA.

he did bring Casteel though.

So you get "triggered" by my innocent first post, but then don't react to my actual attempt to do so. Guess my troll skills are lacking

So you get "triggered" by my innocent first post, but then don't react to my actual attempt to do so. Guess my troll skills are lacking

no, no your troll skills are fine; it's just that I got all the RichRod bashing out of my system after that first post.

I hope someone else reacts to the latter post though, because for me at least, reading other people bashing RichRod never gets old. I just can't do it as much as I did in my younger days...

the "Michigan wouldn't open its wallet to pay for Casteel" Excuse was a good one. From what I recall, that was a latter-period Excuse, after it was clear Greg Robinson was horrible. (I wonder what THAT freak is up to...)

Was that Excuse even true? I find it hard to believe that WVU was paying a DC more than we were (or more than we would) in 2008.

Last edited by a moderator:
no, no your troll skills are fine; it's just that I got all the RichRod bashing out of my system after that first post.

I hope someone else reacts to the latter post though, because for me at least, reading other people bashing RichRod never gets old. I just can't do it as much as I did in my younger days...

the "Michigan wouldn't open its wallet to pay for Casteel" Excuse was a good one. From what I recall, that was a latter-period Excuse, after it was clear Greg Robinson was horrible. (I wonder what THAT freak is up to...)

Was that Excuse even true? I find it hard to believe that WVU was paying a DC more than we were (or more than we would) in 2008.

As I remember the story, the difference between the ask and the offer was only $10,000. Seems like that has to be BS.

But Hey hey don't say anything bad about Barwis... the former RichRod fans still hold him in high esteem, because he helped Brock Mealer walk again.

Wasn't there a 2nd person he helped to walk? The thing I don't get, is how is he helping people walk with methods that are supposed to be screwing up people's back?

Geuss it was more than just a second person:

http://people.com/tv/american-muscles-mike-barwis-helps-people-walk-again/
"Barwis estimates that over the past five years, he?s helped more than 50 people get back on their feet and begin moving. Some have spinal-cord injuries, others suffered a stroke or live with cerebral palsy ? and many have been told by doctors they ?would never walk again.?"

...you have to be skeptical about that, right? If he had some method that was better than what physical therapists were doing at hospitals, they'd copy him.

Wasn't there a 2nd person he helped to walk? The thing I don't get, is how is he helping people walk with methods that are supposed to be screwing up people's back?

Geuss it was more than just a second person:

http://people.com/tv/american-muscles-mike-barwis-helps-people-walk-again/
"Barwis estimates that over the past five years, he?s helped more than 50 people get back on their feet and begin moving. Some have spinal-cord injuries, others suffered a stroke or live with cerebral palsy ? and many have been told by doctors they ?would never walk again.?"

...you have to be skeptical about that, right? If he had some method that was better than what physical therapists were doing at hospitals, they'd copy him.

Sounds like snake-oil, faith healer-type stuff to me.

Just like RichRod. or Uri Geller.

Yeah, it's been a while since I cared enough to have a hard line stance one way or another in an internet battle. I was an ardent Carr supporter back in the day, and then anti-Amaker during his last couple years (when ABCD went off the deep end in support of him), but pretty neutral on RR and Hoke, all things considered. The board has its disagreements on Beilein from time to time, but I think those come from how we express our views, rather than how we actually view the program. Hopefully Harbaugh sticks around for a couple decades and we can stick to attacking trolls rather than becoming them.

I was a believer early on that it was a blow not to get Casteel, but as time went on and the mistakes piled up, it was pretty clear that he was a poor decision maker and would need more help than just one guy.

I liked Carr and thought he was a solid coach. I did think he was a little too passive when it came to gameplanning and game management though, and I chalked up some of our losses to top 5 teams to that.

circa January 2008, I still believed in the theory that winning seasons in Ann Arbor were more or less automatic, and therefore a guy coming in and shaking things up could really only help. I was a little disappointed with RR's initial press conference (he didn't seem to get it) and the cloud he left WVU under, but I dutifully argued against the WVU posters who invaded the UM board, and bought into the hype that RR had nearly made it to a national championship at WVU without a lot of highly ranked recruits, so he would certainly do better with what he could bring into Ann Arbor.

Then the Threet/Sheridan situation was a big red flag. There is just no way starting Sheridan over Threet made any sense, unless you were trying to lose games.

The win over Wisconsin was solid though and that gave me hope again we could build on... but we followed it up by crapping away a game against a mediocre Illinois team the next week. At that point I was just confused... I couldn't tell what direction we were going.

Then the Toledo loss was an even bigger red flag. Toledo wasn't even good that year. that was one we should've been able to mail in a win; it took a special sort of incompetence to lose it.

After the way he fired Shafer and the ludicrous statement that Shafer "accepted full blame for the losing record" I was pretty much done supporting him - you just don't treat people like that - but I held out some hope that it was just the stress & RR might re-shuffle his staff and figure it out next season.

Then after the next week when we lost to OSU 42-7 and all he could think to do was blame Lloyd Carr, I wanted him gone. That went against everything Michigan stood for, on and off the field. I also had a hard time seeing the upside after the guy bungled his way through the season.

It was hard being a Michigan fan for the next two seasons...

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL, I just looked up Toledo's record that year... 3-9 (2-6 in the MAC). Even worse than I thought.

LOL, I just looked up Toledo's record that year... 3-9 (2-6 in the MAC). Even worse than I thought.

That game was infuriating. I left a super hot, awesome friend I stayed the night with to go home and watch that fucking game. I called her to apologize after the game. She deserved that at the very least. Fuck me for still trying to root for RR after that because he was Michigan's coach.

Luckily she was nice enough to invite me back over. :cheers:

Sounds like snake-oil, faith healer-type stuff to me.

Just like RichRod. or Uri Geller.

Wow.

You're criticizing someone who is questioning the accuracy of shit that the AMA, who is associated with big Pharma and big insurance?

Not to make this into a political board issue, but wow.

Once I was invited by a guy who was on my paper route who was the Michigan football equipment manager at the time to work on the sidelines for one game.

Except for me, Steve Barwis is the most unimportant person to ever have been associated with Michigan football.

Up until now I thought this thread was the most unimportant thread in the history of this board.

It was so important that I didn't even bother to come onto this thread just to express how unimportant I thought this thread was.

But if Barwis - he's not a doctor but he must have studied kynesthegioly or something- what's wrong with that?

I actually think there isn't even a non-medication a management specialty for actual doctors; I think real and legitimate doctors contractor that shit out to physical therapy place and the such.

I actually know that-my real legitimate doctor sent me to a physical therapist and a chiropractor for back pain.

Wow.

You're criticizing someone who is questioning the accuracy of shit that the AMA, who is associated with big Pharma and big insurance?

Not to make this into a political board issue, but wow.

Once I was invited by a guy who was on my paper route who was the Michigan football equipment manager at the time to work on the sidelines for one game.

Except for me, Steve Barwis is the most unimportant person to ever have been associated with Michigan football.

Up until now I thought this thread was the most unimportant thread in the history of this board.

It was so important that I didn't even bother to come onto this thread just to express how unimportant I thought this thread was.

But if Barwis - he's not a doctor but he must have studied kynesthegioly or something- has come up with something for pain and movement management - pwhat's wrong with that?

I actually think there isn't even a non-medication a management specialty for actual doctors; I think real and legitimate doctors contractor that shit out to physical therapy place and the such.

I actually know that-my real legitimate doctor sent me to a physical therapist and a chiropractor for back pain.
Shoot-I meant to edit and I quoted instead.

Back