Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Norte Dame hockey now in BIG as

I get confused by where Hockey teams are anymore.. I used to follow the CCHA & WCHA. One is gone and the other is completely different.. I heard Alabama is in the WCHA now, how did that ever happen? Alabama, that's funny.

I really dislike the big ten hockey now. They totally screwed a good thing in the ccha and they should have waited until they could entice more big ten schools to get a hockey team. 6 Teams Is Just NOT enough to make a good conference . The scheduling stinks and now it's even harder to make the ncaa. Not sure ND will help but it makes sense .. To bad the dummies at Norte Dame can't decided to do it for all sports like they should..

Last edited:
Didn't ND fold their hockey program some years ago? When did they come back?

Didn't ND fold their hockey program some years ago? When did they come back?

ND hockey as been around since the late 60s. There was a one-year blip in the mid 80s where it dipped to club status. Been a D1 program since, with little success until Jeff Jackson took over in the mid 2000s.

ND hockey as been around since the late 60s. There was a one-year blip in the mid 80s where it dipped to club status. Been a D1 program since, with little success until Jeff Jackson took over in the mid 2000s.

Club status, okay. For some reason I thought they ended their program. Thanks.

What's club status btw?

Last edited:

What's club status btw?

Club teams are an alternative to the Varsity programs for player who are good players but not good enough to play Varsity. No scholarships available. M's club team is UM-Dearborn. All teams who wish to become a varsity program have to play as a club team first and club players use up varsity eligibility as club players. It's usually the last stop for a player, but the hockey is competitive and pretty high quality, at least at the D1 programs.

I get confused by where Hockey teams are anymore.. I used to follow the CCHA & WCHA. One is gone and the other is completely different.. I heard Alabama is in the WCHA now, how did that ever happen? Alabama, that's funny.

Probably Alabama-Huntsville.

Rocket scientists from the NE and elsewhere attending UAH -- been a solid hockey program for a while. I worked with a woman who went to UAH and said hockey games were THE thing for students

Club teams are an alternative to the Varsity programs for player who are good players but not good enough to play Varsity. No scholarships available. M's club team is UM-Dearborn. All teams who wish to become a varsity program have to play as a club team first and club players use up varsity eligibility as club players. It's usually the last stop for a player, but the hockey is competitive and pretty high quality, at least at the D1 programs.

club programs can be pretty competitive as well as you probably know. penn state was a dominant club program for years then became varsity the year they formed the B1G hockey league and they've competed pretty well right off the bat. I'm sure becoming a varsity program helped them attract better talent and the fact that the league is small with Wisc experiencing a dip and MSU being awful have made it easier to be competitive but the success they've had being a young varsity program has been pretty impressive.

Last edited:

What's club status btw?

Clubs are not part of the athletic department and they don't play in the NCAA. They don't Award athletic scholarships.

Michigan went from club status to athletic department/NCAA status in La Crosse a few years ago.

Probably Alabama-Huntsville.

Rocket scientists from the NE and elsewhere attending UAH -- been a solid hockey program for a while. I worked with a woman who went to UAH and said hockey games were THE thing for students

Okay. Thanks. Don't really follow college hockey and I associate Alabama with football and football only.. Just seems weird to see them in the WCHA.. Alabama Huntsville would make more sense..

Oh crap.

We finally let those wafer eating papists get a toe hold into the B1G?

After more than 100 years of diligence there's finally a leak in the dyke.

Mmmmmmm, I like dykes.

ND was in the CCHA with us. This was bound to happen. It makes the league stronger.

I am pleased that ND is in the conference. Six teams do not a conference make.

Back