Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Anyone know who this is? (1979)

six7777

Photo from 1979 - not sure if he's a retired Tiger or Red Wing ? (or Lion?)
Was at a signing in Troy 11/1979.

Attachments

• who is this - 1979.jpg
    who is this - 1979.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 24
Jim Northrup. One of the most recognizable Detroit sports figures in the last 100 years.

Jim Northrup. One of the most recognizable Detroit sports figures in the last 100 years.

Really? Maybe for older people. I'm 34 and had no idea who it was. The name sounded familiar, but I still had to google him.

I was 15 years away from being born.

Has to be on if the greatest 2 out 2 strike rallys in world series history. Gibson was pitching a 1 hitter with 7 k's and 0 BB when cash with 2 strikes worked the countil fI'll and smashed the tigers 2nd hit of the game with a solid single. Then a seeing eye single by Horton and a misplaced 2 run triple later the tigers were up 2-0 and go on to win 4-1 behind brilliant workhorse Micky Lolich .. Have to admit Gibson was a animal this series. 35k 4bb compared to Micky's 21/6.

But heck we will take a misplaced triple from a 7 time gold glover Curt Flood. :)

Has to be on if the greatest 2 out 2 strike rallys in world series history. Gibson was pitching a 1 hitter with 7 k's and 0 BB when cash with 2 strikes worked the countil fI'll and smashed the tigers 2nd hit of the game with a solid single. Then a seeing eye single by Horton and a misplaced 2 run triple later the tigers were up 2-0 and go on to win 4-1 behind brilliant workhorse Micky Lolich .. Have to admit Gibson was a animal this series. 35k 4bb compared to Micky's 21/6.

But heck we will take a misplaced triple from a 7 time gold glover Curt Flood. :)

Yes, thank you Curt Flood. One of the best CF of his time..

I understand that but it's a huge part of Tiger History.. Do you know who Ty Cobb is?

Ty Cobb is a legend in baseball history, up there with the likes of Ruth and Mantle. Northrup is not. No matter how heroic he was, he's just not a household name unless you saw him play.

Ty Cobb is a legend in baseball history, up there with the likes of Ruth and Mantle. Northrup is not. No matter how heroic he was, he's just not a household name unless you saw him play.

I saw him play but because my memory at that age is questionable I never remembered him until after he retired. Probably because he went to Baltimore. Fortunately for me my Mom and Dad bought a big ass baseball book with stories and stats when I was ten. Ironically a month after he retired..

I guess when you play baseball games, and have to type in players and their stats yourself you kind of get to know a few players..

Last edited:

Northrup was a pretty good ballplayer and he played an important role in the 1968 season and the World Series victory but he never led the league in anything and was never an all star as far as I know.

I am at the age that I started following the Detroit Tigers in the year of the 1968 world championship.

So obvioualy Northrup was on my Tigers team and important but compared to Al Kaline and Willie Horton and Norm Cash and Denny McLean and Mickey Lolich and Mickey Stanley and Earl Wilson and Bill Freehan he was kind of the middle of the pack important.

I didn't recognize him from the picture. I'm not sure that anybody besides Ty Cobb and Gordie Howe and Al Kaline maybe Mickey Lolich - because he had a unique look - is that recognizable.

Actually my neighbor John Sally and the rest of the bad boy Pistons are probably pretty recognizable.

I don't know how to really recognizable any other Detroit athlete in the last hundred years is.

Oh-Joe Louis and Tommy Hearns… James Tony from nearby Ann Arbor...there are a handfew of others.

Floyd Meriwether is from Michigan but not really from Detroit.

Last edited:
Photo from 1979 - not sure if he's a retired Tiger or Red Wing ? (or Lion?)
Was at a signing in Troy 11/1979.

Yo, did you just create a profile to ask this one question? lol

He's welcome to stay. I was just wondering because it seems odd.

Really? Maybe for older people. I'm 34 and had no idea who it was. The name sounded familiar, but I still had to google him.

So am I also the one to inform you that the Detroit Tigers were World Champions in 1968? How can a viable Tigers' follower not know who Jim Northrup was?

Back