Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Anyone know who this is? (1979)

So am I also the one to inform you that the Detroit Tigers were World Champions in 1968? How can a viable Tigers' follower not know who Jim Northrup was?

probably because he wasn't really considered a Tiger great or a great player overall. He just happened to play on some great teams, and by the sounds of it, had a very important hit in a WS game almost 50 years ago.

So am I also the one to inform you that the Detroit Tigers were World Champions in 1968? How can a viable Tigers' follower not know who Jim Northrup was?

I know about their past championships. Not sure why it's shocking that i wouldn't know all the details about the players from a team that played 23 years before i watched my first Tigers' game.

I know about their past championships. Not sure why it's shocking that i wouldn't know all the details about the players from a team that played 23 years before i watched my first Tigers' game.

I wouldn't call it shocking, I am surprised given all of us regulars here who
I thought had a passion for Detroit professional and collegiate sports teams.
That is, enough of a passion to know about the teams, and the players, of the Championship teams.

The question and the picture of Jim Northrup should go in the Tigers forum.

https://nhl.bamcontent.com/images/photos/284977394/1136x640/cut.jpg
A picture of this Red Wings player belongs here.

Last edited:
I'll out myself...I attended my first Tigers game in 1984 at age 6 and they immediately became my first sports love. A season hasn't gone by that I didn't pay close attention to, even during the depths of the 90's/early 00's. Heck, even this year I forked over the cash to directv so I could watch them now that I'm out of market (stupid fucking call, there). All that said, I only knew Northrup as a former Tiger, with no knowledge of his exploits.

I read a handful of baseball books when I was younger, but unfortunately they were mostly about the Yankees (I was a big Mantle fan, wore #7 and played CF during my playing days). I never really dug into the details of past Tigers teams, even 1968. I'm guessing a big reason for that is both of my Grandfathers passed away by the time I was 8. So while I did talk sports with my Dad, I'm sure I missed out on some great stories that would have lead me down the path to learn more.

probably because he wasn't really considered a Tiger great or a great player overall. He just happened to play on some great teams, and by the sounds of it, had a very important hit in a WS game almost 50 years ago.

He was an integral part of the success of the team that entire season because Al Kaline missed the entire month of June. The only player with more PA in that season than Northrup was McAuliffe. Northrup also lead the team in RBI, hits and doubles. And that"important" hit is what WON THE WORLD SERIES. Any Tiger fan should know about this player. I'd offer a pass on Wayne Comer or Darryl Patterson, but Northrup? He's worth the effort to learn more about.

The Tigers have won four WS ('35, '45, '68 and '84). So, yeah, it's mildly shocking to me that you don't know many of the details of these championship seasons.

I'll out myself...I attended my first Tigers game in 1984 at age 6 and they immediately became my first sports love. A season hasn't gone by that I didn't pay close attention to, even during the depths of the 90's/early 00's. Heck, even this year I forked over the cash to directv so I could watch them now that I'm out of market (stupid fucking call, there). All that said, I only knew Northrup as a former Tiger, with no knowledge of his exploits.

I read a handful of baseball books when I was younger, but unfortunately they were mostly about the Yankees (I was a big Mantle fan, wore #7 and played CF during my playing days). I never really dug into the details of past Tigers teams, even 1968. I'm guessing a big reason for that is both of my Grandfathers passed away by the time I was 8. So while I did talk sports with my Dad, I'm sure I missed out on some great stories that would have lead me down the path to learn more.

Yep. I was born in '65 and though too young to know anything about baseball my Dad was a big fan of the Tigers and he mentioned that Triple many times over as I grew up.. I was also a big reader of Tigers' baseball and baseball general as a whole..

Fun note: I read a book when I was young and they had some quirky superstitions. One guy would put a sandwich in his back pocket before every game..

I wouldn't call it shocking, I am surprised given all of us regulars here who
I thought had a passion for Detroit professional and collegiate sports teams.
That is, enough of a passion to know about the teams, and the players, of the Championship teams.

The question and the picture of Jim Northrup should go in the Tigers forum.

https://nhl.bamcontent.com/images/photos/284977394/1136x640/cut.jpg
A picture of this Red Wings player belongs here.

That's a good idea, if you don't mind I'll move this to the Tigers forum..

He was an integral part of the success of the team that entire season because Al Kaline missed the entire month of June. The only player with more PA in that season than Northrup was McAuliffe. Northrup also lead the team in RBI, hits and doubles. And that"important" hit is what WON THE WORLD SERIES. Any Tiger fan should know about this player. I'd offer a pass on Wayne Comer or Darryl Patterson, but Northrup? He's worth the effort to learn more about.

I think every fan is different. The '84 team has meaning to me because I was able to watch them and was a fan of them in 1984. I actually got to go to game 5 of the WS. I wasn't alive for the first two WS teams and only an infant in '68. Those teams mean nothing to me since I wasn't around for them.

I think every fan is different. The '84 team has meaning to me because I was able to watch them and was a fan of them in 1984. I actually got to go to game 5 of the WS. I wasn't alive for the first two WS teams and only an infant in '68. Those teams mean nothing to me since I wasn't around for them.

Different is correct. It rankles me still that the Tigers are the only franchise to lose three straight WS, and to have lost to STL 11-0 in G7 of '34 and have a 3-2 games lead on CINN in '40 and lose two straight because Bartell held the ball as the winning win scored in the 7th of G7 in a 2-1 loss. In 1940, I was 17 years from being born.

Different is correct. It rankles me still that the Tigers are the only franchise to lose three straight WS, and to have lost to STL 11-0 in G7 of '34 and have a 3-2 games lead on CINN in '40 and lose two straight because Bartell held the ball as the winning win scored in the 7th of G7 in a 2-1 loss. In 1940, I was 17 years from being born.

maybe you should be more like me. I didn't know any of those things happened so it can't "rankle" me ;)

Alma College graduate. Who doesn't know that? At one time, he held most Quarteback records there.

maybe you should be more like me. I didn't know any of those things happened so it can't "rankle" me ;)

I know of Ty Cobb, Charlie Gehringer, Hank Greenberg and Sunday Charlie Maxwell.

Off the top of my head those are the only tiger names I remember from before I started following the team in 68.

I know of Ty Cobb, Charlie Gehringer, Hank Greenberg and Sunday Charlie Maxwell.

Off the top of my head those are the only tiger names I remember from before I started following the team in 68.

Crawford? Heilmann? Cochrane? Veach? Bridges? Newhouser? York? Rogell? Kell? Colovito? Kuenn? Lary?

Back