Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

DET TV Broadcast Ranked 29th

Rebbiv

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2017/jul/11/best-mlb-broadcast-teams-baseball

Commentary team: Mario Impemba and Rod Allen, with Kirk Gibson filling in
Kirk Gibson, yes, that Kirk Gibson. His 1988 World Series Game 1 home run resulted in one of Vin Scully?s famous calls, but playing a central part of baseball broadcasting history didn?t rub off on Gibson, whose opening monologue is monotone. ?Gibby? reads quickly from the prompter, is flat as a pancake and looks uninterested. Game caller Mario Impemba does the best he can under the circumstances, but it?s all a bit awkward.

Ron Darling just said something critical of the Mets' hire of former Michigan strength and conditioning coach Mike Barwis that caught some attention on the Michigan board.

As far as Hawk Harrelson - thankfully - "he gone!"

Last edited:
Gibby reads quickly because of Parkinson's. The rest might be true but how are they ranked, imo very few teams have good announcers.

I have only heard a few broadcasts from other teams. I think Gibby has the best things to contribute but his delivery is TERRIBLE. I don't mind Mario. Not a big fan of Rod Allen but he is OK I guess.

Gibby reads quickly because of Parkinson's. The rest might be true but how are they ranked, imo very few teams have good announcers.

They're based on the completely arbitrary opinion of the author, who acknowledges he's a Mets fan and the Mets broadcast team is the one he listens to.

It's a pretty unimportant subject; like it's pointed out in the beginning, nobody cares about anyone else's broadcast team, with possible exception of AL Central fans of teams who aren't the White Sox when they occasionally have to suffer Hawk Harrelson.

I wisely didn't get the MLB package this season, but when I did about half the Tigers' games were covered by the opponents broadcast teams.

I live in NY and watch both the Mets and Yankee's games. I have MLBTV and watch most of the Tigers' games, and depending on who they are playing, choose the opposing team's broadcast. I cannot stand Rod Allen. And I was in AZ when he was the color guy for the Diamondbacks' games. I cannot stand "rah rah" announcers (Harrelson), hence why Harwell and Scully were the best.

Bring back George Kell!

They're based on the completely arbitrary opinion of the author, who acknowledges he's a Mets fan and the Mets broadcast team is the one he listens to.

It's a pretty unimportant subject; like it's pointed out in the beginning, nobody cares about anyone else's broadcast team, with possible exception of AL Central fans of teams who aren't the White Sox when they occasionally have to suffer Hawk Harrelson.

I wisely didn't get the MLB package this season, but when I did about half the Tigers' games were covered by the opponents broadcast teams.

Same, no MLB package. So unless they are on the MLB Network I'm not watching..

I do watch the Diamondbacks here in Arizona and I don't mind them. Maybe because I got tired of Rod and Gibby.. But announcers, for every team, talk too much these days. Instead of just watching an at bat, they have to use their camera's to look at the broadcast booth like anyone cares about what they look like..

I find the best way to watch a Tigers game is on my deck. I have a 50" TV that goes in my garage or outside (takes 5 minutes to set up). I get a fire going in my fire pit, sit on my deck, listen to music with the game muted, have few beers & talk with the wife. Perfect night IMO

Same, no MLB package. So unless they are on the MLB Network I'm not watching..

I do watch the Diamondbacks here in Arizona and I don't mind them. Maybe because I got tired of Rod and Gibby.. But announcers, for every team, talk too much these days. Instead of just watching an at bat, they have to use their camera's to look at the broadcast booth like anyone cares about what they look like..

538 website shows the Tigers chances of making the post season at 6% -- about one chance in twenty.

I haven't started paying much attention to the Dodgers but they're on fire.

I'll probably watch the Dodgers in the post season; if the Tribe gets to the post season they'll probably be the sentimental favorite of everyone whose team is eliminated to win it all.

I said I would start this year but I haven't, maybe next season. I use to love listening on the radio but of course back then it was the only choice. MLB audio is like a few bucks a year.. I know they're no Harwell, and Carey but how are the radio guys?

I said I would start this year but I haven't, maybe next season. I use to love listening on the radio but of course back then it was the only choice. MLB audio is like a few bucks a year.. I know they're no Harwell, and Carey but how are the radio guys?

Dan Dickerson is OK. Price can be a tool at times. Better than most and certainly better than John Sterling and Suzyn Waldman (30th).

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2016-broadcaster-rankings-radio-10-1/
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2016-broadcaster-rankings-radio-20-11/
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2016-broadcaster-rankings-radio-30-21/

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2016-broadcaster-rankings-tv-10-1/
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2016-broadcaster-rankings-tv-20-11/
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2016-broadcaster-rankings-tv-30-21/

Price likes to just throw words out there that don't even make sense. Like "Buggy whip," "yellow hammer" and "The art of pitching".

I honestly think he brings Dickerson down.

Price likes to just throw words out there that don't even make sense. Like "Buggy whip," "yellow hammer" and "The art of pitching".

Buggywhip: To swing at a very low ball thus creating a "buggywhip" motion.

Yellow Hammer is like a big breaking ball, i.e 12-6 curve.

But I never hear anyone saying those..

I'll be vilified but the White Sox radio broadcast team of Ed Farmer and Darren Jackson is enjoyable and engaging.

It has to be better than their previous team who sucked goats.

Farmer has been doing this for 25 seasons, and he's been partnered with Jackson for eight, so we have a difference of opinion.

Farmer has been doing this for 25 seasons, and he's been partnered with Jackson for eight, so we have a difference of opinion.

Somehow I didn't see the radio part. I assume they were the new TV guys..

I'll be vilified but the White Sox radio broadcast team of Ed Farmer and Darren Jackson is enjoyable and engaging.

Are you sure that's not just because when they're talking Hawk Harrelson isn't?

Flatware clattering in a garbage disposal is also engaging in that situation.

"Dickerson has a good arsenal with lots of late movement" - Jim price

Back