Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2017 Major League Baseball 88th All-Star Game July 11, 2017

2-1 AL final. Series tied now. Did anyone watch it? Upton got a hit. I forgot it was even on..

Upton made a Great Catch to start the 10th.. first time in right field for him in 4 years

Last edited:
I watched... Well pitched per usual everyone still played hard even though it didn't mean home field... All in all not mad I wasted almost 3 hours watching it lol... And yes Upton did well got a single up the middle and a decent diving/falling catch in RF. Wish Fulmer could have pitched!

Last edited:
2-1 AL final. Series tied now. Did anyone watch it? Upton got a hit. I forgot it was even on..

I watched the 7th inning while I worked out. What's his name-the St. Louis catcher-Mulino I think? Had a homerun that tied the game.

Maybe I watched the top of the eighth. That's about it.

I watched... Well pitched per usual everyone still played hard even though it didn't mean home field... All in all not mad I wasted almost 3 hours watching it lol... And yes Upton did well got a single up the middle and a decent diving/falling catch in RF. Wish Fulmer could have pitched!

Why did it not mean Homefield?

I watched into the bottom of the 4th.

Yadier Molina is the catcher who hit the homerun. One of the 3 brothers (Benjie, Jose), who have had careers as catchers.

MLB stopped the winning league getting homefield advantage in the world series in the last year or two. People were always divided on it. It was a rule put in by previous commissioner Bud Selig.
I never liked it.

http://m.tigers.mlb.com/news/article/241788858/latin-players-throw-out-asg-first-pitch/
Latin-American players honored before ASG.
Tigers official site

http://www.mlive.com/sports/2017/07/mlb_all-star_game_2017.html#incart_river_index
MLB All-Star Game 2017: Robinson Cano's 10th-inning homer gives AL 2-1 win over NL.
Mlive

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/m...-tigers-justin-upton-all-star-game/470907001/
Tigers LF Justin Upton plays well, in right, in AL's All-Star Game win.
Freep

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/mlb/2017/07/12/al-tops-nl-cano-homer-th/103624426/
AL defeats NL on Cano homer in 10th; Upton goes 1-for-2.
Detnews

http://m.tigers.mlb.com/news/articl...-upton-enjoy-asg-experience/?topicId=27118376
Upton singles, makes great catch in ASG.
Fulmer doesn't pitch, but makes most of experience.
Tigers official site

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/al-all-...nal,lock_state=final,game_tab=box,game=491434
Boxscore.

http://m.tigers.mlb.com/det/video/search?game_pk=491434&tagName=More From This Game
Webvideo Highlights from the All-Star Game.

I watched and it was one of the more interesting games. I never knew that Joe Buck was so knowledgable about baseball ... baseball-reference tweeted a factoid and Buck related it a few minutes later as if he was the source.

Amazing
43-43-2
And both the AL and NL have scored 361 runs .
Baseball and it's numbers are amazing.

Because the AL has won so many recently that it was getting one-sided, and it's an idiotic idea in the first place.

Oh so that wasn't in effect this year at all? The post I quoted when I asked the question made it seem that the fact that it went into extra innings is what put the rule out of effect.

Yes it was always a dumb rule.

With the Tigers woes I haven't been following baseball much this season, let alone the All-Star game.

The Dodgers are on fire out here but I haven't caught the fever.

Oh so that wasn't in effect this year at all? The post I quoted when I asked the question made it seem that the fact that it went into extra innings is what put the rule out of effect.

Yes it was always a dumb rule.

With the Tigers woes I haven't been following baseball much this season, let alone the All-Star game.

The Dodgers are on fire out here but I haven't caught the fever.

Dodgers are priming for their annual post-season nose dive as per usual. And can't get past that Wood and Bellinger are hijacking the numbers 57 and 35 respectively, previously worn by two ex-Dodgers against whom I played in high school. Both died tragically and too soon.

Dodgers are priming for their annual post-season nose dive as per usual. And can't get past that Wood and Bellinger are hijacking the numbers 57 and 35 respectively, previously worn by two ex-Dodgers against whom I played in high school. Both died tragically and too soon.

You're paying more attention to the Dodgers than I am.

That's cool that you played against at least two major leaguers. Who are those two and what other major leaguers did you play against?

I played in a junior football league against Michigan's all big ten Keith Bostic who went on to play a number of seasons with the Houston Oilers and made the Pro bowl once.

I didn't know the Harbaughs back then but both John and Jim played in that league; John graduated from Pioneer one year after I did. Jim probably played in that league starting the year after I aged out.

Last edited:
Amazing
43-43-2
And both the AL and NL have scored 361 runs .
Baseball and it's numbers are amazing.

After the 70's and 80's when the NL won like 19 of 21 or 20 of 21 or similar I didn't think the AL would ever catch up again.. But baseball is streaks.

I thought maybe if they got rid of the home field advantage the game might get back to be an offensive game.. pitching duals, low scoring games are fine for the regular season or playoffs but the All Star game I like to see runs. Glad I didn't watch it I would have been bored.

You're paying more attention to the Dodgers than I am.

That's cool that you played against at least two major leaguers. Who are those two and what other major leaguers did you play against?

I played in a junior football league against Michigan's all big ten Keith Bostic who went on to play a number of seasons with the Houston Oilers and made the Pro bowl once.

I didn't know the Harbaughs back then but both John and Jim played in that league; John graduated from Pioneer one year after I did. Jim probably played in that league starting the year after I aged out.

Steve Howe and Bob Welch. Wow those are two pretty big names.

Bob Welch won a Cy Young. He won like 25-26 games that year..

Correction 27.

Last edited:
Bob Welch won a Cy Young. He won like 25-26 games that year..

Correction 27.

Yeah 1990 with Oakland. 27 and six. I just look that up.

I guess he slipped in the bathtub and broke his neck or something a couple of years ago.

I think I read that Steve Howe got messed up on meth and died in a car crash or something.

Last edited:
Yeah 1990 with Oakland. 27 and six. I just look that up.

I guess he slipped in the bathtub and broke his neck or something a couple of years ago.

Ouch.

On the baseball side looking at his stats not sure of his 2nd half were always better than the first half or something but he only had one other all star appearance outside 1990. But he had a very nice career.. Seems to be overlooked..

Back