Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

More Good News

Awesome...looks like we can add another year or two onto the Tigers' rebuilding process.

none of this is news. It's the reason they got rid of the players when they did and the Tigers weren't going to sign anybody of significance anyway.

none of this is news. It's the reason they got rid of the players when they did and the Tigers weren't going to sign anybody of significance anyway.

Did you even read the article? The new CBA, which it talks about, took effect this year. While some knew what was in it, they did not know how it affected their team. It is also says that DET, unlike other teams, have been affected the most by the rule changes.

Additionally, what this points out, is that even if DET had remained competitive through this season, that their hands would have been tied this offseason. This was going to be the last year, win or lose.

Unlike you, to some this is going to be news.

Did you even read the article? The new CBA, which it talks about, took effect this year. While some knew what was in it, they did not know how it affected their team. It is also says that DET, unlike other teams, have been affected the most by the rule changes.

Additionally, what this points out, is that even if DET had remained competitive through this season, that their hands would have been tied this offseason. This was going to be the last year, win or lose.

Unlike you, to some this is going to be news.

this all came out in December of 2016.

"The Detroit Tigers won?t be signing any of this year?s elite class of free agent players during the winter, and not just because they?re in rebuilding mode."

I don't think this part hurts because I don't believe Detroit was going to sign a premium free agent. It is because rebuilding mode. Why trade away 20+m player just to sign another 20+ player? Makes no sense so Detroit wasn't going to sign an elite guy.

Increased penalties for signing qualified free agents
This could effect us depending on would have been targets for Detroit.But that's a wait and see.

No competitive balance round draft picks
Slightly effects us.

Less International bonus money to spend

Again, slightly, but Detroit isn't alone in this.

At least that is my take.

Way to back up your claim. Typical.

I figured you would take my word for it. I started a thread about it but KC had already posted it in the Tigers notes. Here is your proof that you needed. Posted on 12/1/2016

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...ion-reach-agreement-new-5-year-labor-contract

Some highlights / lowlights

winner of AS game no longer determines home field for WS

no international amateur draft :(

regular season expanded from 183 days to 187 days

Thanks, posted in Tigers last night.

http://www.detroitsportsforum.com/showthread.php?p=722881#post722881

Last edited:
You're not addressing how it concerns the Tigers now are you. Which is what the article I posted was all about. Squirrel!

The information in the article you posted was obvious to those who knew about the changes...which were known in December.

Might as well start this as well. Tigers rebuild is somewhat of a question.
Lets looks at what they will have in 2018, baring any more trades let alone any FA's.
Catcher 7th in average but 10th in runs scored= McCann / Hicks
1st base Cabrera needs to be healthy!
2nd Kinsler free agent walk season. Trade deadline ?
SS Iglesias
So far same old same old
3rd Candelario new kid on the diamond
RF Castellanos another 100 + rbi season would be nice
CF Mahtook
LF Opening
Last position open

Starters
Fulmer, Boyd, Norris, Zimmerman, 5th any body guess.

Relief
A Wilson, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?

Closer
Green

In truth Team is set except for the 5th starter, Fail PEN and left field. And there be more left overs from 2017!

Might as well start this as well. Tigers rebuild is somewhat of a question.
Lets looks at what they will have in 2018, baring any more trades let alone any FA's.
Catcher 7th in average but 10th in runs scored= McCann / Hicks
1st base Cabrera needs to be healthy!
2nd Kinsler free agent walk season. Trade deadline ?
SS Iglesias
So far same old same old
3rd Candelario new kid on the diamond
RF Castellanos another 100 + rbi season would be nice
CF Mahtook
LF Opening
Last position open

Starters
Fulmer, Boyd, Norris, Zimmerman, 5th any body guess.

Relief
A Wilson, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?

Closer
Green

In truth Team is set except for the 5th starter, Fail PEN and left field. And there be more left overs from 2017!

I wouldn't be surprised if Kinsler or Iggy are gone before the start of the season and replaced with Machado.

I'd like to see them bargain hunting towards the end of free agency. Sign some players to 1 year contracts, fill out the roster and see if they can get lucky. If they play well they have trade chips to help re-stock the minor league system.

I wouldn't be surprised if Kinsler or Iggy are gone before the start of the season and replaced with Machado.

I'd like to see them bargain hunting towards the end of free agency. Sign some players to 1 year contracts, fill out the roster and see if they can get lucky. If they play well they have trade chips to help re-stock the minor league system.

I think the best option would be to replace Kinsler with Machado. I also don't mind longer deals, just good ones. Mid-type players that can be a little productive. Not too expensive.

Last edited:
I think the best option would be to replace Kinsler with Machado. I also don't mind longer deals, just good ones. Mid-type players that can be a little productive. Not too expensive.

I don't think either are in the plans for 2019...so, if a team came with an offer for either, the Tigers would likely listen and just replace that player with Machado.

It would be stupid to pick up Kinsler's option and then not trade him before the season or at a minimum before the break.

Iglesias will be too costly for this team by 2019. So this year would be it.

Not sure if he is ready but is there any chance Christin Stewart ends up being our LF option? I thought he was putting up good numbers in the minors but I know he is a butcher in the field.

Not sure if he is ready but is there any chance Christin Stewart ends up being our LF option? I thought he was putting up good numbers in the minors but I know he is a butcher in the field.

I've been wondering this too. I mean, could he be any worse than Delmon Young? He started in LF for us...including the playoffs. In his defense, dude was mashing at the plate from what I remember.

Back