Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Bowl Games

Toledo isn't fairing well against App St. at all; they're on the verge of going down 24-0. Ugh.

Last edited:
The few bowl games I've glimpsed today have been good games. It would figure that my second favorite team would be the one to stink up the joint.

If guys want to sit and not play, these universities need to cut these players off completely. And its only going to get worse when guys start taking more than just a "meaningless" bowl game off. Do not let them travel, do not give them access to the facility, and kick them out of school. When they sit they are breaking their binding letter of intent to get free schooling for their football services. They fuck the team and they fuck with the school's win/loss record and possible recruiting efforts.

Last edited:
KSU just recovered a fumble after scoring. It is now 17-14 UCLA with KSU on the doorstep.

4th and 1 from the 40. Good Ole UCLA blitzes everyone and KSU rb gets by his lone would be tackler and takes it to the house. 28-17 KSU with 14 left in game.

35-17 KSU with 4 left

Thank you Rosen the Chosen for sitting out and allowing your team to be a below .500 team to end the year.

I fucking hate UCLA, lol.

Last edited:
Bill Snyder is retiring right? if so, good for him for going out with a win.

If guys want to sit and not play, these universities need to cut these players off completely. And its only going to get worse when guys start taking more than just a "meaningless" bowl game off. Do not let them travel, do not give them access to the facility, and kick them out of school. When they sit they are breaking their binding letter of intent to get free schooling for their football services. They fuck the team and they fuck with the school's win/loss record and possible recruiting efforts.

I think cutting ties with your best players will hurt recruiting worse than a possible bowl loss.

While I would like to see these guys play in the bowl games I understand why they do it. Jake Butt cost himself a bunch of money.

durr ... that'll learn em.

it's sort of football's version of basketball's one-and-done. if you have great players with futures at the Professional level, you will only be a stepping stone to that end. College bowls ..even an expanded Playoff, will always be a risk against "millions of dollars."

it's sort of football's version of basketball's one-and-done. if you have great players with futures at the Professional level, you will only be a stepping stone to that end. College bowls ..even an expanded Playoff, will always be a risk against "millions of dollars."

I don't blame them at all.

even the NFL isn't much of a career; with the way owners can screw players out of contract money via the number of outs (for ownership) in an NFL contract, and the fact that players can be dumped pretty easily for injuries in an injury-prone sport, not to mention the insanely high likelihood of developing CTE, an NFL career is itself just a matter of hopefully making enough money to sustain a reasonably decent standard of living as long as they live.

and it seems like outside of sports broadcasting, or maybe coaching, former NFL players aren't prepared to make a living doing much else. and once the CTE really gets bad, they can't do anything, really.

If I was a pro prospect I would sit out every game and just go straight into the draft.

you still need some game film to sustain the hype, at least a year or two worth.

that one former agent (forget the guys name, but he published a tell-all) alleged Mel Kiper had a "pay for play" kinda thing going with agents and other "intermediaries."

I'm sure guys like Finebaum would take some $100 handshakes to hype a player.

once the hype train leaves the station, you can "develope a high ankle sprain" or some other non-ominous injury and sit out most of your last college season without hurting your draft stock.

Last edited by a moderator:
you still need some game film to sustain the hype, at least a year or two worth.

that one former agent (forget the guys name, but he published a tell-all) alleged Mel Kiper had a "pay for play" kinda thing going with agents and other "intermediaries."

I'm sure guys like Finebaum would take some $100 handshakes to hype a player.

once the hype train leaves the station, you can "develope a high ankle sprain" or some other non-ominous injury and sit out most of your last college season without hurting your draft stock.

Yeah I dunno if there's any truth to that. If a guy is that can't miss, I don't think it matters how much film there is. Kyrie played about 15 minutes at Duke and is now one of the best in the NBA. I'm sure guys would be just fine without game film, as long as they do fine in the combine.

durr ... that'll learn em.

See Mr. Durr, this isn't about them. It's about the school and it's fans. They signed a contract. It hurts recruiting to be a loser. Much like UCLA yesterday. If they were keeping Mora, yesterday's loss hurts the school a great deal. They are seen as a loser school at 6-7. Since Chip Kelly is coming in, it probably offsets their situation. Other schools not losing a coach, does damage. Now I do think the other part of the equation is that the school needs to provide insurance policies for scholarship players. It is only fair. Million $ Max protection for an athlete should be mandatory for all schools.

Remember, Peppers fucked us last year and cost us that game against FSU. That hurt us. 11-2 looks better than 10-3, and a #5 ranking is a helluva lot better than #11. It also hurts the history of one's program, so there are many factors here. That's fine when they want to sit out, millions are on the line, but how would you feel if Peppers shut it down for Ohio St.? The millions are still on the line in that game and the game before. Where does it end and when do the universities say, "see ya, we wish you luck, but you cant stick around. You quit, thus you broke your contract." I love the guys and respect them, but I do not donate to the university because of Jabrill Peppers being an NFL star. I don't care. I care about the University of Michigan.

See Mr. Durr, this isn't about them. It's about the school and it's fans. They signed a contract. It hurts recruiting to be a loser. Much like UCLA yesterday. If they were keeping Mora, yesterday's loss hurts the school a great deal. They are seen as a loser school at 6-7. Since Chip Kelly is coming in, it probably offsets their situation. Other schools not losing a coach, does damage. Now I do think the other part of the equation is that the school needs to provide insurance policies for scholarship players. It is only fair. Million $ Max protection for an athlete should be mandatory for all schools.

Remember, Peppers fucked us last year and cost us that game against FSU. That hurt us. 11-2 looks better than 10-3, and a #5 ranking is a helluva lot better than #11. It also hurts the history of one's program, so there are many factors here. That's fine when they want to sit out, millions are on the line, but how would you feel if Peppers shut it down for Ohio St.? The millions are still on the line in that game and the game before. Where does it end and when do the universities say, "see ya, we wish you luck, but you cant stick around. You quit, thus you broke your contract." I love the guys and respect them, but I do not donate to the university because of Jabrill Peppers being an NFL star. I don't care. I care about the University of Michigan.

look at it from a star prospect's perspective. Would you go to a school that bans bans players from the program because they skip a bowl game? I think kicking kids off the team would hurt recruiting more than going 8-5 vs 9-4

Last edited:
I think cutting ties with your best players will hurt recruiting worse than a possible bowl loss.

While I would like to see these guys play in the bowl games I understand why they do it. Jake Butt cost himself a bunch of money.

They cut ties first by abandoning their school and teammates. Let's say Michigan is a 6-3/7-3 team and Charles Woodson decides to shut it down for Ohio State? How do you feel then? This was a situation in the 90's for many Wolverines. UM gave Ohio St. their only loss in 96. That's Michigan history..........forever.
I'm not saying give these guys the finger(although I did say fuckem in my original rant), but a firm handshake and a revocation of privileges is warranted. These guys are going to have to go somewhere else to train and to live. They no longer wanted to be part of the program.

Back