Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

*Official UM Hoops Thread*

Michigan is in the final 6, and he's taking an official visit to UM for the WMU game. Supposed to decide in October.

I took my lumps about Beilein, and if he scores McGary, then I'll never speak ill of his recruiting or his system ever again.

Who on the incoming freshman list will be getting PT? I would really like to see Brundidge get extensive time off the bench for Stu and Novak.

Brundidge really is the wildcard. Everything I've seen and heard points to him being a SG, and unless Vogrich plays predominantly SF, and Novak mostly PF, minutes are going to be hard to come by at the 2. So he may be limited to just playing in spurts when some instant offense is needed and he has the hot hand, BUT if he can pull off playing the point that could change everything. I'm not counting on it though and would guess his minutes will average around 10, but vary wildly from game to game.

Burke is sure to get his share of minutes as the only true pg on the roster. I don't think he'll start right off the bat, but it's not out of the question at any point. It all comes down to how he transitions to the college game of course. I could see him getting anywhere from 15-25 minutes.

I think Bielfeldt definitely has a chance to pass McLimans and Christian on the depth chart and get backup minutes at the 4 and 5. He's a PF in the real world, but we all know how that works with Beilein. If his high school production wasn't just a fluke I think he'll play a role next year. Probably no more than 10 minutes or so, but with foul trouble I could see him having a few big games.

I really should take a look at the minutes available, like we did a few months ago, before throwing out these projections though. Beilein is going to have a ton of decisions to make this year. Which is a good thing.

In my opinion, which may not be worth anything lol, I think Burke needs to be thrown into the fire right away. He is clearly going to be the PG for the next couple of years (I believe that Walton kid they got for 2013 is a PG). I think getting his feet wet right away against some of the freebie games will give him some confidence, and make the future struggles in conference a little easier to handle.

Yeah, I agree, and based on how Beilein handled Morris his freshman year, I might be wrong and he will start right out of the gate. Of course that season didn't turn out very well for Darius, but for this team to be great Burke has to be capable. Might as well find out if that's the case as early as possible.

I did hear a report from an open gym a couple weeks ago saying Burke was looking great. McLimans too, so take that fwiw!

I watched a little youtube video that Burke made, he looks like a hell of a competitor. He will probably add a different dimension with his ability to hit the outside shot, but man we are going to miss Morris's size and ability to find players. That's crazy about McLimans, he looked absolutely lost last year, it will be a great positive if he contributes in any way, shape, or form next season.

dubbsco said:
In my opinion, which may not be worth anything lol, I think Burke needs to be thrown into the fire right away. He is clearly going to be the PG for the next couple of years (I believe that Walton kid they got for 2013 is a PG). I think getting his feet wet right away against some of the freebie games will give him some confidence, and make the future struggles in conference a little easier to handle.

I agree, I would love to see him play huge minutes right from the go...let him take his lumps and grow up quick. I'd much rather have him than Stu running the point. I lost a lot of faith in Stu last year. I want Stu to be a spot up shooter and not much more. Keep the ball out of his hands if he's not ready to shoot. Reminds me of when Kirk Heinrich played with the Bulls except he goes ice cold.

DR said:
Yeah, I agree, and based on how Beilein handled Morris his freshman year, I might be wrong and he will start right out of the gate. Of course that season didn't turn out very well for Darius, but for this team to be great Burke has to be capable. Might as well find out if that's the case as early as possible.

I did hear a report from an open gym a couple weeks ago saying Burke was looking great. McLimans too, so take that fwiw!
Hardaway might be a bigger help to Burke then Harris was to Morris.

silverbullet97 said:
DR said:

Hardaway might be a bigger help to Burke then Harris was to Morris.

Yeah, Burke might actually get to dribble the ball once or twice!

New(er) recruiting site, 247sports, released a top 100 for basketball.

Robinson #50
Stauskus #59

Only list a top 25 for 2013, no current commits listed.

Whew. I just updated my first post with lots and lots and lots of links.

CBS recruiting guy was asked on Twitter what UNC's chances of landing McGary were and this was his response...

"Not much of a read on situation, but don't count out Michigan. Wait 'til after visits."

http://twitter.com/#!/jeffborzello/status/106016984193437697

Always nice to get an unsolicited mention.

Lets go Mitch! Mitch McGary could be what sends Michigan into a recruiting frenzy in the coming years. (its already feeling like it is anyway) Whether he committs or not, it's hard not to get excitred about where this program is heading. Nobody take any money!!!!

Wow, he's really knocking out some visits.

"Mitch McGary, the #3 prospect in the 2012 class, will soon be taking a handful of visits. He talks to Scout.com about his upcoming trips.

Scout.com's 3rd ranked 2012 prospect, 6-foot-10, 245-pound Wolfeboro (N.H.) Brewster Academy center Mitch McGary is currently at the Boost Mobile Elite 24, but his recruitment will soon be heating up.
When McGary returns from Los Angeles, he'll begin a series of visits.

"I'm going to Michigan next Friday and Saturday - the 2nd and 3rd - for an official," McGary said. "The 5th I'm going to Kentucky for an unofficial, on the 6th and 7th I'm going to North Carolina for an official and then the 8th, 9th and 10th I'm going up to Duke for an official."

McGary recently took an unofficial visit to Florida, which he said was a positive experience.

"It was good," McGary said. "I liked the campus a lot; it's a beautiful campus. The coach is pretty cool. They were great greeting me to their school. Hopefully I'll take an official visit there this fall."

Scout.com asked McGary to break down the other schools on his list.

Michigan: "I like the offense they play; they run it through the big men a lot. I feel if I went there I could help them get back on top. (Glenn Robinson) is one of my best friends. I talk to him a couple times a week; actually I just talked to him today."

Kentucky: "I know that (John) Calipari gets people ready for the NBA and that's one of the main reasons I would go there. I know they've got some really good recruits and if I go there I'd want to win a national championship so that's a possibility."

North Carolina: "I talk to Marcus Paige and J.P. Tokoto a lot about it and I can definitely see the possibility of hooking up with them. Marcus playing the one, J.P. the three and me the four. I just think Roy Williams is a pretty good coach and they're up-tempo, which fits my game."

Duke: "I like Coach K's credentials and him as a coach. He runs an NBA offense and gets his players ready for the NBA."

Maryland: "I took an unofficial there in June and I'm going to take an official there sometime this fall hopefully." "

Robinson and Stauskus bumped up by Rivals to #35 and #80 respectively.

Robinson mentioned by their editor as a 4-star that's possibly underrated.

Back